Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forums and looking at leasing an F Pace S. I test drove one the other day and loved it; I'm coming out of a Cayenne Diesel (and a Cayenne S before that), and though I loved both models I'm looking for a change (half the fun of leasing).

My first decision may be the toughest - BRG vs Silver. I think the Silver looks a little more sleek, but the uniqueness of the BRG is pulling me that way.

My dealer has a nicely configured S in BRG with ICT. I have to say when comparing with ICTP I liked having hard buttons, I liked the physical gauges, and the stereo did not sound THAT different than the more open-sounding Tech pack model.

With that observation - what does ICTP bring to the table other than a larger screen and a snappier interface? I was shown the maps on the instrument cluster and did think it was pretty cool, but a feature like that would get used fairly in frequently.

If I was buying I may be more focused on having the better tech for resale. So as far as a day-to-day experience for the next 36 months, what would I be missing out on with ICT vs ICTP? My other option is to build a 2018 with ICTP.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Well now, you are going to get many opinions on this, and all likely based on personal preference, of course. For me, I did not order the Tech Package, as I thought the configurable virtual gauges were gimmicky, the wider screen only replaced the manual buttons with touch, I had no use for in-car wiFi, and I thought the base Meridian sound system would be more than adequate. I also did not see a need for a CD player. As you will no doubt read in many other threads, ICTP has had a huge share of problems, where ICT has not.

That said, now that most - if not all - of the bugs have been worked out with ICTP, I do regret not getting it in mine. The tech is pretty cool, with more ways to configure readouts and menus, and the low end sound system that comes with ICT is - in my opinion - completely inadequate. I also find I have many CDs that I have not ripped to the cloud, but cannot play them on ICT.

If you can afford it, go with the ICTP!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. A CD player would certainly be nice and something to consider. I do occasionally listen to educational CDs in the car, though honestly 99% of my listening is either Sirius/XM or my iPhone. And with that source material not being stellar not sure how big of a difference the better stereo will make; certainly it was subtle while going back and forth between the two streaming from my iPhone the other day.

If I order we're looking at a 2k+ increase for 2018, a 3k+ cost for the tech pack, and an opportunity cost of 1k from losing a current lease incentive. So maybe another $150/month in lease costs.

Honestly - If the tech pack were already installed that would be cool. I do agree a CD player would be nice - but other than configurable menus - how is it improving my day to day experience?

Maybe part of it is the ICT model is here now and I don't want to wait to build ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well now, you are going to get many opinions on this, and all likely based on personal preference, of course. For me, I did not order the Tech Package, as I thought the configurable virtual gauges were gimmicky, the wider screen only replaced the manual buttons with touch, I had no use for in-car wiFi, and I thought the base Meridian sound system would be more than adequate. I also did not see a need for a CD player. As you will no doubt read in many other threads, ICTP has had a huge share of problems, where ICT has not.

That said, now that most - if not all - of the bugs have been worked out with ICTP, I do regret not getting it in mine. The tech is pretty cool, with more ways to configure readouts and menus, and the low end sound system that comes with ICT is - in my opinion - completely inadequate. I also find I have many CDs that I have not ripped to the cloud, but cannot play them on ICT.

If you can afford it, go with the ICTP!
I think my experience has been opposite. I had to have the ICTP for the reasons above did not. The virtual gages have been great and are not cheesy like some models. The lack of hard buttons has not been missed one second - no need for them. Have used the wifi when I originally thought I never would. I could have used my phone as a hotspot - but why when I have a car?

My ICTP has been nearly flawless. Every infotainment system I have ever used has had equal goofs as I have had with my ICTP.

To me, it was a no brainer and worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Thanks for the reply. A CD player would certainly be nice and something to consider. I do occasionally listen to educational CDs in the car, though honestly 99% of my listening is either Sirius/XM or my iPhone. And with that source material not being stellar not sure how big of a difference the better stereo will make; certainly it was subtle while going back and forth between the two streaming from my iPhone the other day.

If I order we're looking at a 2k+ increase for 2018, a 3k+ cost for the tech pack, and an opportunity cost of 1k from losing a current lease incentive. So maybe another $150/month in lease costs.

Honestly - If the tech pack were already installed that would be cool. I do agree a CD player would be nice - but other than configurable menus - how is it improving my day to day experience?

Maybe part of it is the ICT model is here now and I don't want to wait to build ;)

You are running into the same things we did when we were out looking.... We found some great vehicles on the lot that we may have bought right then and there, But they were missing the ONE important option we HAD to have....., The when we found one equipped right.... it was in a bad color ! Gave up on that and just ordered what we wanted..... Its too much money to not be 100% elated and happy on that drive home.....

Reactions: myjaguar

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am all for 100% elation!
Me too! But After watching the videos on the Jaguar site I'm still not seeing how the ICTP provides that much more.

As I search previous posts, it seems like ICP does about 80% of ICTP, with some hard buttons for quick navigation, greater stability, voice control, and texts that come through to the screen if desired. A CD player would hardly be used, but would be a nice-to-have.

Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Oh, and unless they have added it, one more significant distinction is the ability to use voice commands for navigation. ICT has this, ICTP does not (yet). I know my Colorado brother will say that you just simply use the route planner, which is the best option for planning trips. but if I am out, and get a call to go somewhere, it is easy to hit the voice button and speak the address.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not sure which video you watch to not see all the upgrades when you get the ICTP (with tech pack). It is more than just the bigger screen.

In addition to my points in my post above, getting the upgraded stereo is also worth it. While some will poo-poo the stereo - it is a great one. I noticed a significant difference between the ICT and ICTP stereos.

While I would love to have the voice nav input, I have learned just fine to work around it. I do use the route planner and it does help - but does not replace the voice input.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would also think that, to some extent, ICTP will be a bigger relative boost for resale value. Technology constantly marches forward, and the basic ICT is an older platform.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would also think that, to some extent, ICTP will be a bigger relative boost for resale value. Technology constantly marches forward, and the basic ICT is an older platform.
I agree, but this car gets leased to my office so resale is a non-issue

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree, but this car gets leased to my office so resale is a non-issue
Seems you are ok with the ICT even though everyone is talking up the differences of the ICTP so go get that F-Pace! For me it was a must-have because I wanted the latest available tech and I'm glad I got it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems you are ok with the ICT even though everyone is talking up the differences of the ICTP so go get that F-Pace! For me it was a must-have because I wanted the latest available tech and I'm glad I got it.
Yeah, I knew ICTP was snappier, better stereo, etc but was wondering if someone offered an "a-ha" that really swayed me. I have a first year Orange F-type R that I still love - so for me it's really more about the drive!

If it wasn't a three month wait and a six thousand dollar increase in cost (which probably translates to just under three thousand over the life of the lease) I'd probably build. Same if I was buying instead of leasing because I'd be keeping it over a longer period.

I may have my dealer try to locate one with tech as I've found a couple in Florida on Auto Trader. The one I'm looking at has retractable running boards which add a little to the "wow" factor but are by no means mandatory and drive up the cost.

And if that fails - I think I'm going to go get that F Pace!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

·
Registered
128 Posts
So in defense of ICT, my thought process was similar to yours.

I am not a fan of virtual gauges, at least not for the primary ones, and nor are we heavy users of Nav.

Having ordered pre-launch, evaluating both dashes and infotainment systems was not an option at the time.

The standard gauges and ICT are more than adequate, and there are a myriad of secondary features accessible through either screen. In between the classic speedometer & tach is a very-high resolution screen which is easily configured.

Having physical buttons for the key functions on the ICT is also good -- one can access features without taking one's eyes off the road and without messing with the touch screen (though the actual touch response is pretty good when needed).

While the standard audio system sounds quite alright, it lacks in overall volume and fullness. As the F-Pace is the family hauler, this isn't usually an issue as the audio is either off or at low volumes on the long trips.

If the 825W Meridian system were decoupled from ordering a digital dash, then I would have ordered it.

If I had to order the vehicle again, I would still likely stay with the ICT.

All of the above notwithstanding, I did order the heads-up display and would add it again in a heartbeat.

YMMV

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
I like my ICTP and I'm glad I have it, with updates applied. If you have access to an Ipad you might want to download Jag's ICT and ICTP demos. Strongly suggest go to a dealership and spend 20 minutes playing with both to help decide.

Reactions: Gorgon

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have to agree here. It clearly seems that your mind has already been made up, however, as someone with ICTP, and all of the original issues that came with it, I would never be happy with ICT. I have had five loaner vehicles, of which three had the standard ICT system and it just seemed outdated and old. Buttons? Buttons? What year is this :eek:? I noticed a major difference in the stereo, smaller screen, and just limited. Of course I am one of those guys who upgrades his phone several times a year for the latest and greatest. ICTP is a must have....

Reactions: Hayseed_FP

·
Registered
578 Posts
Verbow

Far be it from me to try and sway your decision; you do seem to be leaning in one direction. However, I'd double up on VZX-CO's advice and "spend 20 minutes playing with both."

In addition, I've dug up three earlier posts that highlight some practical hands-on "ah-ha's" that may not be evident from reading brochures, looking at videos or even playing for 20 minutes or so. They focus primarily on buttons vs. icons and the value of "personalizing" both the gauge-display and the touch screen. It goes way beyond analogue vs. digital gauges in my four months driving the F-Pace.

FWIW

To each his own, some like buttons and some like touch.

In addition to VZX's comments, I would offer the following, particularly as it pertains to buttons vs. touch-screen icons:-

* .. look at the "seat" button as well as the seat icon ..... ICTP has both; one in the row of physical buttons under the screen and one in the ribbon in the screen; you'd be hard pressed to make a case that the button is easier to find/see (eyes off the road) than the icon
* .. be aware of the ability to customize your own home screen with very large icons; again, you would be hard pressed to make the case that a NAV button is easier to see/find (no matter how well placed) than a 3" x 1.25" icon in the middle of the touch screen
* .. in addition, get familiar with the widgets you can place prominently on the touch screen ... while some widgets are a bit lame, there are a good many useful ones e.g. call voice mail

Finally, having ability to show the large map screen in NAV, as well as the zoomed screen in the instrument cluster at the same time is a great feature ... gives you a "north-up" map to follow for the larger picture, as well as a "heading up" view that shows upcoming corners in the country and left/right turns in the city.

Is it (and the additional tech bits) worth $3K? for me, yes ... for you????

AND

The genius of the ICTP system (after the update), is that you can set your map to be North-Up, oriented like a normal map, and yet the zoomed map view you can call up in your instrument cluster (through the steering wheel controls) will be Heading-Up, showing upcoming corners (on a country road) and left/right turns in the city. The best of both worlds.

AS WELL AS

the nav screen on the dash with ICTP does much more than "show upcoming turns". It shows the road in front of you in "heading up" mode and in a scale that allows you to anticipate upcoming bends and corners, particularly useful when travelling on a country road at night. That's quite different from "upcoming turns" that the Nav system displays when following a designated route.

As always, to each his/her own.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Verbow

Far be it from me to try and sway your decision; you do seem to be leaning in one direction. However, I'd double up on VZX-CO's advice and "spend 20 minutes playing with both."

In addition, I've dug up three earlier posts that highlight some practical hands-on "ah-ha's" that may not be evident from reading brochures, looking at videos or even playing for 20 minutes or so. They focus primarily on buttons vs. icons and the value of "personalizing" both the gauge-display and the touch screen. It goes way beyond analogue vs. digital gauges in my four months driving the F-Pace.

FWIW

To each his own, some like buttons and some like touch.

In addition to VZX's comments, I would offer the following, particularly as it pertains to buttons vs. touch-screen icons:-

* .. look at the "seat" button as well as the seat icon ..... ICTP has both; one in the row of physical buttons under the screen and one in the ribbon in the screen; you'd be hard pressed to make a case that the button is easier to find/see (eyes off the road) than the icon
* .. be aware of the ability to customize your own home screen with very large icons; again, you would be hard pressed to make the case that a NAV button is easier to see/find (no matter how well placed) than a 3" x 1.25" icon in the middle of the touch screen
* .. in addition, get familiar with the widgets you can place prominently on the touch screen ... while some widgets are a bit lame, there are a good many useful ones e.g. call voice mail

Finally, having ability to show the large map screen in NAV, as well as the zoomed screen in the instrument cluster at the same time is a great feature ... gives you a "north-up" map to follow for the larger picture, as well as a "heading up" view that shows upcoming corners in the country and left/right turns in the city.

Is it (and the additional tech bits) worth $3K? for me, yes ... for you????

AND

The genius of the ICTP system (after the update), is that you can set your map to be North-Up, oriented like a normal map, and yet the zoomed map view you can call up in your instrument cluster (through the steering wheel controls) will be Heading-Up, showing upcoming corners (on a country road) and left/right turns in the city. The best of both worlds.

AS WELL AS

the nav screen on the dash with ICTP does much more than "show upcoming turns". It shows the road in front of you in "heading up" mode and in a scale that allows you to anticipate upcoming bends and corners, particularly useful when travelling on a country road at night. That's quite different from "upcoming turns" that the Nav system displays when following a designated route.

As always, to each his/her own.
Well said. I missed stating those points but they are a huge value to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK - I'm sold ;)

I do think the thought of the lesser stereo would wear on me (and I have some business CDs I listen to periodically in the car), and while the retractable running boards are cool they're definitely not a needed option. Living here in Chicago I'd rather put the money toward Driver's Assistance - there are some pretty tight street situations and having the 360 degree camera may come in handy. I'm hearing the self-park isn't that great though.

We've found one in Florida exactly as I'd build it but a "flakey" buyer put a refundable deposit on it. If it sells I'm ordering a 2018 as Porsche will extend my lease and my dealer can modify one of his allocated units.

Looking forward to joining the discussions - thanks everyone for your thoughts!

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
OT: retractable running boards are cool but only needed if you are going to be messing round with a lot of stuff up top, e.g. bikes, skis, roof carrier. They have a downside too, they gather a bunch of gravel and dirt and if you don't have easy access to a hose are hard to keep clean.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts