Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
hmm those updates really should be free.

It's not like the Jag Nav system (or any other OEM Nav system for that matter) will ever provide better functionality than google maps when it comes to speed, human input interface, permanent over-the-air map updates, instant traffic updates, multiple detour suggestions, precise lane information, etc, etc.

My Jag came with Nav as part of the convenience package but I really didn't care for it as I knew I wouldn't use it much.

Car manufacturers really should stop trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to Nav systems and just integrate google maps in their cars. IMO.

I like where you mounted your phone in the pic. Where is your phone plugged in? Did you run the USB cord all the way to the center console or do you have a USB port elsewhere?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I like where you mounted your phone in the pic. Where is your phone plugged in? Did you run the USB cord all the way to the center console or do you have a USB port elsewhere?
That's correct. The cable is connected to the USB port in the center console. And the phone holder is nothing more than a hard-case holster held by a piece of electrical wire covered with thin black irrigation tubing (because the electrical wire was red and it didn't look good). LOL .. Just random stuff I found in the garage.

The whole thing is 'hooked' in place from the dashboard vent and a small gap next to the ICT unit and so no permanent drilling / gluing was necessary. It can be removed and put back together in two seconds.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
A further question -- are you able to create routes on that phone that you can then view/follow with the on-board nav system? If so what nav app are you using and does it work with ICT?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Download seems to be free now

Since I could not find any procedures on how to upgrade the base InControl Touch ICT (Non-Pro) navigational maps, I thought I post here what I found out after much research:

Option 1) (My dealer did not know about this option. It is mentioned though deep inside the bowels of how-to's on one of Jaguar's websites)
Go to and download the ICT map updater either to your PC or Mac. Retrieve the navigation SD card from your car (front console above USB port) and plug it into your computer. Open the downloaded Map Updater which will read your SD card and determine if there is a new version of maps available for your navigation/car. If so you will need to create an account with a UserId and Password that will enable you to pay for the update $120 and then download the new maps unto your current navigation SD card. Since my car is only 5 months old, I decided against a map update at this time so I did not proceed beyond the payment process.

Option 2)
Take your car to the dealer and they will perform the update for you. According to my Service Adviser, Jaguar will charge you a $199 license fee and a $90 labor fee for services performed. Now, this option's $300 is stiff for merely a map update.

Hope this helps all ICT-only folks.
So, for what it is worth to you guys over in the States: here is what I did today in Denmark (that's in Europe ;) ) with my MY2018 F-PACE 20D ICT (not pro)
I downloaded the JAGUAR INCONTROL TOUCH MAP UPDATER as directed above. I then did NOT log in or create a user but simply put in my car's SD card in my PC after having started the updater software. The software found a new version, started to download it (no questions asked about user or payment) and installed the newest map version on my SD-card. I tried it in the car right after and all was good: new maps for free, no login and no payment! I do not have a premium fee-free subscription as part of my purchase of the car (not that I was told about anyway).
The software did read my VIN from the SD-card so it is possible somehow my dealer had an agreement about free map upgrades with HERE or JAGUAR.

Anyway... try it yourselves :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Map update Options?

Has anyone tried this here in the US? My cat is in the shop and I will try it when I get it back. I refuse to pay for map updates that may still be inherently wrong (as in when I picked up the car the maps were already outdated), especially as the ICTP guys get it free (and my Audi gets it free as well). My Garmin has voice recognition and lifetime free map updates, so I have options.

I am utterly frustrated with my Jaguar's software being two generations behind with no real attempt to fix issues or catch up for existing models. Mechanically I give my F-Pace diesel an A; but for all the persistent software glitches (and I do not had ICTP or HUD), it gets a D+.

If I can't get CPHjag's work around to, well, work, is there a way to either fool the ICT into running android auto or replacing the ICT with something that can run android auto?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I tried the CPHjag (Denmark) method and it does not work for my NorthAmerica license. Without logging into the account, once I hit the MapUpdate button, I am presented with the 'Login' and then 'Buy' option. I couldn't find a way around it. There is a file on the SD card that contains a license code (prepaid.used file) that I am assuming drives the behavior of the MapUpdate software.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The warranty clearly says that map updates are free for 5 years. When I took my FP in for service, I asked them to update the maps and my adviser confirmed that the map updates are free. He then told me when I came to pick up my car that there were no updates and I was running the current version - which I doubt but wasn't able to wait for him to verify this with me there let alone wait for them to do the update. Next time I am going to take her in I will put a little more effort into working this out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The warranty clearly says that map updates are free for 5 years. When I took my FP in for service, I asked them to update the maps and my adviser confirmed that the map updates are free. He then told me when I came to pick up my car that there were no updates and I was running the current version - which I doubt but wasn't able to wait for him to verify this with me there let alone wait for them to do the update. Next time I am going to take her in I will put a little more effort into working this out.
It’s free for the ICT Pro but not free for the non-Pro.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts