Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this post is merely to vent about an experience I had in ordering aftermarket mud flaps from eBay.
The seller is in China and I decided to give this a try. I know all about inferior knock offs, etc... but wanted to keep an open mind about this, because I've had I stances in years past when local dealers parts departments ordered in similar accessories and they were utter cra*.

So with an open mind, this go around I ordered mudflaps with the imprint of "Jaguar" along the lower horizontal edge.

It took only a week to arrive from China and came packaged in a padded yellow paper envelope lined with bubble wrap.

The 4 flaps were simply placed in the bag 2 stacked together and arranged in opposing directions in order to fit tightly in the bag. They were not individually wrapped nor protected other than the bubble lining.
Needless to say, the bag arrived with 2 one-inch holes caused by the tips of 2 mudflaps having broken through the bag. Duh,..this thing came from China and was packed tighter than a camels a** in a sandstorm!
One of the mudflaps has a 1.5" mild scrape in it near the name Jaguar, and I am contemplating returning it for an exchange, which the seller says they'll do.

Why can't anything go smoothly?! This is such a waste of time. If they packaged it well in the first place......
Arrrgh!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What did you expect for free shipping?...and they are Jaguar genuine OE, not knock offs...China for some reason seemed to have cornered the market for Jaguar F-Pace accessories..:confused:

Use a little tire shine or vinyl-X spray and the scuff mark will almost disappear..

But if this puts your undies in a bundle..wait until you try to figure out how to mount them......Better take a Xanax first.;)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
No that everything from mainland China is bad and everything from the US of A is good, but I tend to shy away from products made in China, if at all possible. I boycott products from other countries too. It's not political; it is a matter of quality control and getting exactly what you pay for. The standards in Communist countries are not the same as in the USA or Canada. I refuse to feed my dogs food or treats unless they are made in the USA or Canada. Not just "made for" or "distributed" by some company in North America. They have to be manufactured in NA or I won't even risk giving it to my dogs.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I agree with what you're saying for the most part and I try to avoid Chinese parts or anything, ...accept this little Chinese restaurant near me that makes the best Broccoli Chicken...........mmmmmm:laugh:

Anyway, like I said..seems China has really been a big supplier to TATA for the Jaguars and Land Rovers..I guess they are the cheaper cost of things made again, trumping home made stuff.

Some one posted a thing here a while back showing where all the parts of the Jaguar were made...Can't remember where right now..but I was surprised as to how much was outsourced to China and other places

·
Registered
31 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Some one posted a thing here a while back showing where all the parts of the Jaguar were made...Can't remember where right now..but I was surprised as to how much was outsourced to China and other places[/QUOTE]

How true, the optional 22" wheels are made in Taiwan. I saw that stamped on the insides of the rims.
My previous cars 20" wheels (2010 Camaro SS) where made in China.
Sad, but true. (not that there is anything wrong with them).
I also had a new 82 Camaro Z-28 made (I believe) entirely in the US and it had numerous quality control issues like a missing fuel pump gasket (which caused an oil leak) and some extra nuts hiding under the trunk carpet. LOL.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DPK,

I am going to take your advise and spray em down,.. not worth the aggravation to send back.
As for mounting them, my first gander when I held them in place didn't exactly make me want to jump for joy.

Maybe these are seconds and the ones purchased through the dealer are identical but individually wrapped, and therefore allowing for a handsome markup.
(taking deep breath and allowing undoes to unwind, lol).

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well heck ... at least you got them.... I ordered them over a month ago in advance of getting mine and they say they are still in Guangzhou or whatever. Flaps in hand are worth 2 in the bush.... I throw them a way before attempting to send them back, But I think we can make them work. Let us know how the mounting goes...!

Reactions: ILoopThem

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
DPK,

I am going to take your advise and spray em down,.. not worth the aggravation to send back.
As for mounting them, my first gander when I held them in place didn't exactly make me want to jump for joy.

Maybe these are seconds and the ones purchased through the dealer are identical but individually wrapped, and therefore allowing for a handsome markup.
(taking deep breath and allowing undoes to unwind, lol).
I guess you are aware that the Chinese flaps are not the same as those sold by JLR in NA.
The theory here is that they may be OE in other markets, but not ours.
The imports are easy to install, even without instructions. Many here have done it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi DPK,
Yes, I did read that here actually and find it interesting.
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the U.S. ones and the ones I purchased?

Loop

·
Registered
575 Posts
Very timely discussion, as this was going to be my first exterior accessory to purchase and install.

The ones from China are NOT the same ones we get for the US-market? What is the price difference (and fitment quality) between those and say, ordering directly from JLR-NA?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts