Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please solve this mystery. This is a serious question. I experienced the weirdest thing on my long drive home from the airport this evening. I was in Dynamic mode with start/stop activated. I had meant to turn it off but didn't notice it until I was within minutes of home. Oh yes, I was also in cruise control which I've done before. So, here is what happened. About an hour and 10 minutes into my drive my wife and I started hearing a whistle like you might hear from a traffic cop directing traffic at a busy intersection. That's how the whistle sounded inside the car. It kept happening about every 3 to 4 minutes. And it was loud. So loud it drowned out the stereo. I figure it had to be coming through the speakers, so I shut off the stereo. I still got the loud whistle. Finally, I got out of cruise control and dynamic mode. No more whistle. Coincidence? WTF! I mean WHAT THE [email protected]!!!

Please, someone tell me what the **** I experienced. No jokes please. This experience has unnerved us. There were no unusual lights or indicators on the center ICTP or on the digital dash. One of you lads must have experienced the same phenomenon. I'm struggling to understand what happened.

Late note: It started happening after I passed the 2,000 mile mark on my odometer. Probably another coincidence but...

·
Registered
15 Posts
From the tech world: Did it repro? As in did you retry getting on Dynamic + Cruise control and still hear the noise?

Also, isn't start/stop disabled when in Dynamic mode?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't that the audible warning from the adaptive cruise?
Is there a warning for ACC? I've not noticed a warning before today. But a whistle? It literally sounds like a coach's whistle to start running wind sprints or a football referee blowing his whistle to begin a time out. It was weird. Were I a religious man I would've attributed it to demonic possession. Surely, someone else in this forum must have experienced this and can explain it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Odd - normally if it was a driver fatigue alert or ACC warning, you would see some message in the dash controls. Definitely no message on the in dash display?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Odd - normally if it was a driver fatigue alert or ACC warning, you would see some message in the dash controls. Definitely no message on the in dash display?
Nothing on the dash or ICTP center screen. Nothing. I have to dig into the manual to see if it can explain this phenomenon.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Were you taking a different route than usual? Only thing I can think of is the traffic camera warning, but I have never heard it describes as that loud.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm beginning to think it was the Driver Fatigue Warning. I just don't understand why it kept going off. I was pretty mellow but I wasn't fatigued. Maybe the combination of ACC and Dynamic mode made the car assume I was tired. After all, if you are in ACC, why in **** would you need to be in Dynamic mode for an hour and a half? I just thought of that. Might be something to it. I have to admit that when it comes to highway driving for a distance of 40-50 miles or longer, ACC is a huge asset. I love it.

But if DFW is that coach's whistle, it works. It will definitely wake up a dozing driver. Big time. No way can any man sleep through that thing. If you are dozing, that whistle will make you sit bolt upright in a second. I suppose it has to be that way or it wouldn't be effective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could the alert be from the AEB system?

AUTONOMOUS EMERGENCY BRAKING
Should a potential collision be detected, F-PACE gives an audible forward collision warning. Visual warnings follow. If the driver takes no action, the system applies the brakes to help reduce the severity of the possible impact. This system also includes pedestrian sensing.

·
Super Moderator
2,171 Posts
Just as an FYI these are references from the manual that might pertain to your issue. As mentioned above you should try and duplicate the problem and record the results.

Driver braking cancels adaptive cruise control.

If the adaptive cruise control system predicts that its maximum braking level is not sufficient, an audible warning sounds while the adaptive cruise control system continues to brake. DRIVER INTERVENE is displayed in the message center. Take immediate action.

The Intelligent Emergency Braking (IEB) feature is available at all speeds.

If an imminent risk of collision occurs, an audible warning is given. If a collision becomes unavoidable, IEB applies the brakes at up to maximum pressure. After IEB has activated, IEB System Was Activated may be displayed in the message center. The system is inhibited from further operation until reset by a retailer/authorized repairer.

Could be a malfunction, wonder what the actual audible warning sounds like?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Could the alert be from the AEB system?

AUTONOMOUS EMERGENCY BRAKING
Should a potential collision be detected, F-PACE gives an audible forward collision warning. Visual warnings follow. If the driver takes no action, the system applies the brakes to help reduce the severity of the possible impact. This system also includes pedestrian sensing.
No, it wasn't AEB. The whistle was blowing even when the closest car to me was 500 feet away. It had to be the Driver Fatigue Warning. I just wish someone else would experience it so I know for sure that I'm not haunted. I swear it sounded like there was a sports referee sitting in the back seat blowing his **** whistle as loud as he could. That is exactly what it sounded like. Over and over again, every few minutes. No one can "doze" or be "fatigued" when that whistle blows.

You guys have to experience this. You really have to hear it. You will never forget it. Trust me. Even my wife was alarmed. She said, "Oh my God! What IS that? Can you make it stop?" The F-Pace does stuff no other car on earth can do.

·
Super Moderator
1,679 Posts
No, it wasn't AEB. The whistle was blowing even when the closest car to me was 500 feet away. It had to be the Driver Fatigue Warning. I just wish someone else would experience it so I know for sure that I'm not haunted. I swear it sounded like there was a sports referee sitting in the back seat blowing his **** whistle as loud as he could. That is exactly what it sounded like. Over and over again, every few minutes. No one can "doze" or be "fatigued" when that whistle blows.

You guys have to experience this. You really have to hear it. You will never forget it. Trust me. Even my wife was alarmed. She said, "Oh my God! What IS that? Can you make it stop?"
I toyed around with LKA steering input the other day, and after about a minute without my hands on the wheel while in cruise, it came up with an alert on the dash something to the effect of I need to give steering input or else. Never got to the 'or else' part, but I could try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
^^That is lane departure warning.

That is not AEB. I tried it during my European drive and is not a whistle sound.
And you get the triangle on the dash...

I was curious if I would try to reproduce the "fatigue effect" if it would work.

It should be easy on the highway. Practice at your own risk!!!
You slowly release the gas and let the car go to the right...

·
Super Moderator
1,679 Posts
^^That is lane departure warning.

That is not AEB. I tried it during my European drive and is not a whistle sound.
And you get the triangle on the dash...

I was curious if I would try to reproduce the "fatigue effect" if it would work.

It should be easy on the highway. Practice at your own risk!!!
You slowly release the gas and let the car go to the right...
I don't think it was the lane departure, it told me to place my hands on the wheel. Maybe you're right, but other manufacturers driver fatigue systems use minute movement of the wheel to determine driver attentiveness. Seems very similar here.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There was previous suspicion in another thread that the holes under the vehicle were being used by drug smugglers. I am wondering perhaps if Trek has the ghost of a former Eurocup referee sitting in his back seat.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was previous suspicion in another thread that the holes under the vehicle were being used by drug smugglers. I am wondering perhaps if Trek has the ghost of a former Eurocup referee sitting in his back seat.
That's not funny, lad. I don't believe in ghosts. I'm telling you this referee's whistle will unnerve you. It's like he's sitting right behind you and blowing into your ear. Twice I asked me wife to check to see if someone was hiding on the floor in the back seat. This is really spooky stuff. Thank God my wife was with me and also heard it loud and clear, without her witness, I would've been convinced that I was going mad.

Someone, anyone, please test the driver fatigue warning in your F-Pace and come back to this forum and tell me what you heard.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Last I hear, the holes were made to escape the Brexit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts