Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry I talked myself into learning how to put the F-Pace on light load suspension. I hate it! It is way too soft. It feels like Lexus, all cushy and soft, especially with all-season tires. I really do prefer the stiffer suspension with the Pirelli P-Zero summer tires. Tomorrow I will figure out how to put it back to normal or whatever the factory default setting was in the beginning.

Sorry guys. I disagree about the light load suspension being "better."

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
That's why they make chocolate and vanilla!

I don't think one is better than the other during the course of normal street/highway driving. I understand the difference in 34 PSI vs. 43 but for a car to use such different pressures really is only to compensate for the difference in weight load. At least that what the manual says. If you are the only one in your vehicle most times think about it. More pressure + lighter load = rounder tire. Not in circumference but in width. It would be the equivalent of being on your toes all the time, great maybe for running but not for walking. JMO.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Oh you mean light load TPMS setting? Where you change the setting to tell the computer to expect lower air pressure in your tires? The one that doesn't actually change anything about the suspension at all?

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
Well changing the air pressure technically does change the suspension. I have never looked but I thought I saw an old thread which had a picture in in that showed a pair of wires going to the shocks. OK I just spent 15 minutes looking for that picture. Can't find it. I don't believe the the FP suspension is electronically controlled. So my conclusion is yes air pressure changes the ride and for some people it may be subtle but it is a big difference just based on the tire pressure. My Vette runs at 30 PSI and rides better considering it has run flats.

SO the question comes down to ride vs performance. I think the lower tire pressure will give you a slightly better ride and I think the performance will be better at the lower pressure. In theory there is more tire on the ground at the lower pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Well changing the air pressure technically does change the suspension. I have never looked but I thought I saw an old thread which had a picture in in that showed a pair of wires going to the shocks. OK I just spent 15 minutes looking for that picture. Can't find it. I don't believe the the FP suspension is electronically controlled. So my conclusion is yes air pressure changes the ride and for some people it may be subtle but it is a big difference just based on the tire pressure. My Vette runs at 30 PSI and rides better considering it has run flats.

SO the question comes down to ride vs performance. I think the lower tire pressure will give you a slightly better ride and I think the performance will be better at the lower pressure. In theory there is more tire on the ground at the lower pressure.
Right, but if you look at the way that Trek, and several others, have worded their comments about this setting, it appears that they believe that changing the setting WITHOUT actually reducing air pressure does anything for the ride. Which, to be perfectly clear, it does not.

You are correct however, in that modifying the air pressure in tires will fairly significantly impact ride quality and vehicle performance. It's just that either A) No one is really wording what they actually want to say correctly or B) Seversl people are under the placebo effect and ignorant to what that function actually does.

I hope it's simply scenario "A" and we can stop the madness.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
But anyway, you really should run at around the pressure of the light load setting. That's designed for up to 3 passengers and like MKenM has said, it will five you better performance in turns when driving in a spirited fashion. Especially with the available grip from sticky summer tires.

Jaguar Owner Information

·
Registered
592 Posts
... I don't believe the the FP suspension is electronically controlled...
Sure it is. Or at least electronically adjustable (not sure if you are trying to make a distinction between electronic damping and electronic valving in the dampers). That is how the electronics can switch from normal to dynamic modes and back again.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'm sorry I talked myself into learning how to put the F-Pace on light load suspension. I hate it! It is way too soft. It feels like Lexus, all cushy and soft, especially with all-season tires. I really do prefer the stiffer suspension with the Pirelli P-Zero summer tires. Tomorrow I will figure out how to put it back to normal or whatever the factory default setting was in the beginning.

Sorry guys. I disagree about the light load suspension being "better."
Feels like Lexus?!?... its a little softer but it in no way feels as soft as lexus. Lightening the tire pressure has nothing to do with how stiff the suspension is haha sure it makes the smaller bumps a little easier to ride over but the suspension, especially the rear suspension has way to little travel for the size of the car. I think you just really enjoy the original ride, harshness and all.
@TLockhart
Adjustable suspension would be something like air suspension... adaptive dampers does not constitute an adjustable suspension.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Feels like Lexus?!?... its a little softer but it in no way feels as soft as lexus. Lightening the tire pressure has nothing to do with how stiff the suspension is haha sure it makes the smaller bumps a little easier to ride over but the suspension, especially the rear suspension has way to little travel for the size of the car. I think you just really enjoy the original ride, harshness and all.
@TLockhart
Adjustable suspension would be something like air suspension... adaptive dampers does not constitute an adjustable suspension.
Agreed! I traded my RX 350 for the F Pace. The F Pace ride is W-A-Y stiffer, even in "light load" setting. My recent addition of 22" wheels and lower profile tires significantly adds to the bumpiness. But, I bought the Jag for it's stiffer feel and performance.

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Agreed! I traded my RX 350 for the F Pace. The F Pace ride is W-A-Y stiffer, even in "light load" setting. My recent addition of 22" wheels and lower profile tires significantly adds to the bumpiness. But, I bought the Jag for it's stiffer feel and performance.
I don't know what people on this thread are drinking, but light load with all-season tires is Lexus-like. I hate it. I want my "harsh" ride back. It felt secure and really good for high speed maneuvers and frequent lane changes. The soft light load tire setting, especially combined with all-season or winter tires, is too soft and plush, not good for performance driving. I hate it. When I get my car back from the dealer I'll have my 22 inch summer tires back on at 43 psi, the so-called harsh ride back again. I'll be very happy. The ride really isn't harsh. Some people on this forum are just saying it is to be argumentative.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't know what people on this thread are drinking, but light load with all-season tires is Lexus-like. I hate it. I want my "harsh" ride back. It felt secure and really good for high speed maneuvers and frequent lane changes. The soft light load tire setting, especially combined with all-season or winter tires, is too soft and plush, not good for performance driving. I hate it. When I get my car back from the dealer I'll have my 22 inch summer tires back on at 43 psi, the so-called harsh ride back again. I'll be very happy. The ride really isn't harsh. Some people on this forum are just saying it is to be argumentative.
Trek, you're a glutton for punishment!!! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The light load setting on the TPMS is there simply to prevent the warning system from going off unnecessarily. If you put 34 psi in your tires and have the system set to the heavy setting, it will "think" that your tires are too low and give the warning. That's all it is. It does nothing else. So by all means put 43 or more psi in your tires and don't worry about the setting on the TPMS. The dealer delivered mine with 55 psi and the TPMS didn't care one way or the other.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
It felt secure and really good for high speed maneuvers
HaHaHaHaHaHaHeeHeeHeeHee !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's a VERY FUNNY statement , coming from somebody who LOVES *CURBS* the way YOU do !!! >:)
I guess as long as people like you are driving , at least the *Wheel Repair Guy* will have *Job Security* !!! ;)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Trek, you know lower tire pressure is better for performance driving? So your argument isn't really adding up. Tire pressure has absolutely nothing to do with suspension or damping, it will soften the ride up a bit because the tires will be able to soak up the bumps a bit more but it will also work in your advantage when driving aggressively. So more tire pressure equates to a harsher drive (which I don't mind by the way I'm just not going to kid myself) and worse performance. But if you want to believe that the F-pace with a little less tire pressure is equivalent to a Lexus, go ahead my friend ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yup. Not sure if this is just semantics: the damping response is certainly adjustable, but the spring rate and ride height are not.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Right, but if you look at the way that Trek, and several others, have worded their comments about this setting, it appears that they believe that changing the setting WITHOUT actually reducing air pressure does anything for the ride. Which, to be perfectly clear, it does not.

You are correct however, in that modifying the air pressure in tires will fairly significantly impact ride quality and vehicle performance. It's just that either A) No one is really wording what they actually want to say correctly or B) Seversl people are under the placebo effect and ignorant to what that function actually does.

I hope it's simply scenario "A" and we can stop the madness.
As Yogi would say this is deja vu all over again. I thought we beat this to death in another thread already:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
As Yogi would say this is deja vu all over again. I thought we beat this to death in another thread already:)
Evidently still alive and kickin'. ) tires to be sure)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts