Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I got my Fpace a week or so ago I was sort of put off by a few things once I really drove it. One of them was the extremely poor night visibility due to the crappy halogen bulbs Jaguar decided to put on this car. I knew when I bought it that it had halogens but I had a problem spending $2000 on the vision package when the only useful thing to me was the xenon headlights. I guess I was just amazed that a luxury brand would be so stingy as to put $10 bulbs in a $50,000 car.

The good news is I was able to find an LED replacement that is plug and play. So far I'm really impressed with the results considering they're only $60. As you can see in the pictures, the LED bulbs are a massive improvement over the halogens. It seems like no brainer upgrade to me. I will be replacing the other crappy daytime halogens with LEDs as well.

The fit is really snug since the housing was designed for worthless halogen bulbs that are 1/3 the size of the LED bulbs with the heat sink/fan. I'm hoping there is enough room for the air to circulate and they don't get too hot but I guess I will find out!

LASFIT 9012/HIR2 72W 7600LM 6000K LED Headlight Bulb

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Yeah, it looks like the housings aren't designed to support LEDs. The light focus looks off.

Also LEDs can get hot at the base of the bulb - better make sure it's not melting anything. I've seen plenty of guys throw LED fogs into standard housings and melt them away.

I mean, I've done the whole 'replace my halogens with HIDs' back in the day, but knowing what I know now, I can't recommend anyone modify their headlights using bulbs unintended for the housings. It can be unsafe for you and unsafe for other drivers on the road.

I realize this is not an overly positive comment, sorry. I hope it works for you, doesn't blind other drivers and that you continue to enjoy the car.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Girlfriend did this with her car, there is a HUGE difference between halogen and basically anything else. Halogen headlights should be illegal now a days on any car, but especially on a vehicle in this price point! HID should be the new standard with LED and laser light upgrades, I am curious though, I see some of the pictures seemed to be taken in parking lots, did you drive from your home with one headlight as halogen and one as LED?
@JWreck with projection bulbs I don't think its possible to 'blind' other drivers, the headlight assembly and projection beam is the same for the HID setup as well so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Girlfriend did this with her car, there is a HUGE difference between halogen and basically anything else. Halogen headlights should be illegal now a days on any car, but especially on a vehicle in this price point! HID should be the new standard with LED and laser light upgrades, I am curious though, I see some of the pictures seemed to be taken in parking lots, did you drive from your home with one headlight as halogen and one as LED?
@JWreck with projection bulbs I don't think its possible to 'blind' other drivers, the headlight assembly and projection beam is the same for the HID setup as well so that shouldn't be an issue.
He's not using HIDs. He's using LEDs. Different light output patterns, bulbs are different the last time I looked. Look at the focus on the garage, too centered. Yes, naive it's cutting it off decently well on the top, but it's clearly not designed for that bulb.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
He's not using HIDs. He's using LEDs. Different light output patterns, bulbs are different the last time I looked. Look at the focus on the garage, too centered. Yes, naive it's cutting it off decently well on the top, but it's clearly not designed for that bulb.
Projector housings cut off the light output as to not blind the drivers. Doesnt matter if you put a halogen, led or supernova inside. The light wont be above the cutoff point for the most part.

You can adjust the shape of the light by twisting the LED bulb different directions. The left one needs some adjusting but the right (not pictured) looks perfect.

As for the heat. Yeah Im aware it's possible they may get to hot but at the absolute worst it would melt the water tight cap which can be easily replaced. I'd rather run the risk of melting a $10 part than be blind. Those housings are designed to withstand intense heat of halogens so I doubt I will have any problems.

And the reason it looks 'too focused' in the center is because it's super bright which was kinda the point.

I am curious though, I see some of the pictures seemed to be taken in parking lots, did you drive from your home with one headlight as halogen and one as LED?
The one in the parking lot is with both LEDs installed. =D

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Aftermarket LED headlight assemblies usually come with 1 LED on each side of the assembly (four sides) or 1 LED on an assembly with two sides (less strong but still works), anyway no matter how many LEDs are on the assembly (2 or 4) it will always have a 360 degree light output just like an HID bulb would (or in this case halogen bulb would). The aftermarket LED assembly isn't built in a way to somehow override the projection of the headlight assembly. That picture shows the beam up close on a wall and it does look a tad more concentrated on the center but unless the aftermarket LED he bought somehow changed the projection of the OEM headlight assembly I'm not sure how it would be that different other than it being much brighter when looking directly into the light.
@Brian my eyes are playing tricks on me, haha. Makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I got to work today I had planned using an IR Thermometer to see how hot the cap on the back of the headlight housing was getting but once I took the wheel well cap off and felt around there was really no need. The cap was cool to the touch and no warmer that anything else I could feel. So yay there!

This was after a 20 minute commute.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
When I got to work today I had planned using an IR Thermometer to see how hot the cap on the back of the headlight housing was getting but once I took the wheel well cap off and felt around there was really no need. The cap was cool to the touch and no warmer that anything else I could feel. So yay there!

This was after a 20 minute commute.
As long as the LED isn't a cheap knockoff that fan should do really well to eliminate most of the heat and any moisture from the humidity that gathers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as the LED isn't a cheap knockoff that fan should do really well to eliminate most of the heat and any moisture from the humidity that gathers.

I can honestly say it seems like a quality product. And given the fact that I own an LED lighting company, I've seen my fair share of shitty LEDs. Only time will tell though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How hard was it to do the install?
It's no different than putting a new halogen in. It's kind of a pain to do because you have to go in through the wheel well but once you get the first one figured out, the second only takes a minute or so.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Nice upgrade. Thanks Brian for sharing.
If I hadn't ordered the vision pack with my Premium, I would have gone this route also.

·
Banned
304 Posts
I still find it hard to believe that a luxury brand like Jaguar would put cheap, ancient $9 halogen bulbs in a near $50,000 vehicle. The FP premium really is under equipped for the price. Also not having passive entry is unacceptable IMO.

Reactions: Kubota

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I still find it hard to believe that a luxury brand like Jaguar would put cheap, ancient $9 halogen bulbs in a near $50,000 vehicle. The FP premium really is under equipped for the price. Also not having passive entry is unacceptable IMO.
I think Halogen bulbs should be illegal in any vehicle... no matter how expensive it is. Halogen illumination is drop dead awful and in some cases dangerous. Wish they were outlawed.

Reactions: mrjoed2

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
And to think... I remember changing these all the time not THAT long ago.....

·
Banned
304 Posts
I think Halogen bulbs should be illegal in any vehicle... no matter how expensive it is. Halogen illumination is drop dead awful and in some cases dangerous. Wish they were outlawed.

Completely agree, but I do think there is a big difference between suffering them in a bottom feeder Kia or Chevy vs a $50K Jag.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Completely agree, but I do think there is a big difference between suffering them in a bottom feeder Kia or Chevy vs a $50K Jag.
So are you saying that halogens are safety concern, but acceptable for "cheaper" cars? I don't think JLR is doing anything wrong by givIng the consumer the option to save money by downgrading their light output if it isn't a priority for them. My mother-in-law never drives at night (or in the rain) so there are people out there who may be perfectly fine with it. I don't see Porsche Turbo owners whining that all model variants aren't fully equipped with ceramic carbon braking systems which are far superior and safer than the basic disc version. If you're unhappy with the headlights, or brakes, or sound system, or tires, or wipers, or whatever other cost saving measure they took to make this vehicle more cost effective for a majority of consumers, you can always upgrade on your own just like the OP successfully did. Enough with the luxury shaming because as soon as Jaguar offered the XE and F-Pace, they sacrificed some of their luxury roots in favor of superior performance and handling, which other brands lack at this price point.

·
Banned
304 Posts
So are you saying that halogens are safety concern, but acceptable for "cheaper" cars? I don't think JLR is doing anything wrong by givIng the consumer the option to save money by downgrading their light output if it isn't a priority for them. My mother-in-law never drives at night (or in the rain) so there are people out there who may be perfectly fine with it. I don't see Porsche Turbo owners whining that all model variants aren't fully equipped with ceramic carbon braking systems which are far superior and safer than the basic disc version. If you're unhappy with the headlights, or brakes, or sound system, or tires, or wipers, or whatever other cost saving measure they took to make this vehicle more cost effective for a majority of consumers, you can always upgrade on your own just like the OP successfully did. Enough with the luxury shaming because as soon as Jaguar offered the XE and F-Pace, they sacrificed some of their luxury roots in favor of superior performance and handling, which other brands lack at this price point.
I am saying at a given price point that certain features should be standard. I didn't say anything about safety. But of course LED & HID allow better visibility at night which is safety related of course.

And I think you missed my point - believe the majority of people would expect better/modern features & tech on a $50K car vs a $18K. I assume you are not saying a more expensive vehicle should not be better equipped than a cheap one. No different than any product. I personally find it unacceptable to not have features such as passive entry, HID headlights,lighted vanity mirrors, Sat radio on a 50K vehicle.
And I call it simple cost cutting/profit taking - not cost effectiveness. And I did a test drive in a Premium. Did not like the cheapness, from the vinyl seats, outdated Infotainment to the black cladding everywhere.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts