Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without getting too dangerously close to a stopped car how can i tell if the system is working? So far i haven't had any indication that the system is in fact functional. I have these options turned on in the vehicle settings menu on dash. I have heard other cars stopping eagerly when not applying brake well in advance. I'm not going to rely on the system 100%, but want to have the peace of mind that it will work if I ever lose focus and don't notice a car or worse a pedestrian.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Without getting too dangerously close to a stopped car how can i tell if the system is working? So far i haven't had any indication that the system is in fact functional. I have these options turned on in the vehicle settings menu on dash. I have heard other cars stopping eagerly when not applying brake well in advance. I'm not going to rely on the system 100%, but want to have the peace of mind that it will work if I ever lose focus and don't notice a car or worse a pedestrian.
If you're a competent driver you'll never notice them. If you're a bad driver you will. They do a self diagnostic every time you start the car.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
YOu should see a warn triangle on the dash and a hear a siren. I think. I've only experienced it working while using ACC and someone cutting in front of me or the line of cars ahead of me on the highway suddenly slowing quickly. I've never actually turned it on by itself. It works automatically when ACC is turned on and active.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you're a competent driver you'll never notice them. If you're a bad driver you will. They do a self diagnostic every time you start the car.

I think the OP and I have the same question: Because we ARE competent drivers, we haven't noticed the system at work. But we want to ascertain that the system will actually work if needed. I was thinking about setting up one of those cardboard cars like they do on Motorweek, but doing it in the driveway won't work since you need to be going a certain speed for it to activate.

I don't trust the electronics in this car enough to actually test this out with my second car as the target.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've seen this work with the auto cruise and it will completely stop the car when you have the cruise on and are following in traffic or even at full song of 70 to 80 mph and traffic slows, even to a stop. I've also see the red triangle a couple times when people are turning in front of me even at low speed and the car thinks I'm coming up on them too quickly, or someone pulls out on me late. I do believe it is a bit over aggressive in that respect to be honest, but I'm guessing it really needs to be to have enough time for people to respond themselves before the car applies the brake on it's own.

However without cruise engaged, I have attempted to see if the car would brake itself a couple times and I've yet to see that work. The cardboard idea is a big parking lot is probably the only way to truly test that in a way that won't end in disaster if the system doesn't work like we expect it should.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
YOu should see a warn triangle on the dash and a hear a siren. I think. I've only experienced it working while using ACC and someone cutting in front of me or the line of cars ahead of me on the highway suddenly slowing quickly. I've never actually turned it on by itself. It works automatically when ACC is turned on and active.
To the OP's point, you only get forward alert (little green triangle) with the Driver assistance pack, you will still have the option for it in the driver assistance menu but unless you have the DA pack you do not have it, annoying Jaguar couldn't take this out, but I get why they wouldn't. The Automatic emergency braking is automatically turned on every time the ignition is started, and can only be turned off if you go into to the driver assistance menu and manually disengage it; this is from manual:

The vehicle AEB detection system operates when the vehicle is traveling between 3 mph (5 km/h) and 50 mph (80 km/h). If the vehicle AEB detects an imminent risk of collision with a vehicle traveling in front, it automatically applies the brakes. If the vehicle's speed is between 22 mph (35 km/h) and 50 mph (80 km/h), AEB warning messages are displayed in the instrument panel. The messages are displayed just before the brakes are automatically applied.

Hope all of that makes sense

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have been in a demonstration of this sort of system in a couple of cars - try lining up a small wall of cardboard boxes and roll the car towards them. What is the worst that can happen?

My AEB deactivates from time to time and gives a warning - presumably when something confuses the cameras (dirt). Since it tells me when it is not working, I trust that it is most of the time.

I wonder if the airbags are working though - any way to test that? ??

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If you're a competent driver you'll never notice them. If you're a bad driver you will.
Interesting comment, for sure, as of course there are shades of grey. I get the forward alert several times during aggressive driving, when I am in complete control, a master of my surroundings, such as punching it to pass a car - get the forward alert as soon as I accelerate before I make the lane change - but that does not make me an incompetent driver. It only means that the Alert threshold is set at a greater distance than my own reaction times and abilities provide me with. I get it as well when someone cuts me off in traffic, again, no real risk of collision, as I adjust speed and braking accordingly, but the system still chimes in. I actually consider it somewhat of a nanny-state application, but use it anyway. As for AEB, though I have it activated, have never felt it kick in.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Interesting comment, for sure, as of course there are shades of grey. I get the forward alert several times during aggressive driving, when I am in complete control, a master of my surroundings, such as punching it to pass a car - get the forward alert as soon as I accelerate before I make the lane change - but that does not make me an incompetent driver. It only means that the Alert threshold is set at a greater distance than my own reaction times and abilities provide me with. I get it as well when someone cuts me off in traffic, again, no real risk of collision, as I adjust speed and braking accordingly, but the system still chimes in. I actually consider it somewhat of a nanny-state application, but use it anyway. As for AEB, though I have it activated, have never felt it kick in.
Does ACC have to be active for forward alert to be on? Or do they act as two separate entities?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The warning siren and red triangle show up on the dash and in the heads-up display. You have the ability to control the distance on the right of the steering wheel where the cruise control buttons are. You can play with those up and down buttons and it will show on the dash the distance changing. I drive in South Florida with some of the worst drivers in the country who constantly cut people off and just really don't care about road rules and there are plenty of situations where this feature has been demonstrated to me.

I also think the AEB occurred for the first time the other night. I was at a full stop behind a very large pick up truck and the light turned green. We started moving forward (I forgot that I was in Dynamic mode, so it was more of a lurch forward for me) and the huge truck in front of me stopped very suddenly. It happened very fast, but the red triangle and siren went off, I moved to apply the break and barely had my foot on it when I heard a super fast rat-tat-tat-tat sound and the car stopped itself about a foot from the truck. Luckily the guy behind me must have been on his cell phone because he never even realized the traffic was moving forward - so no chance of his hitting me.

I'd say the feature works. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
It works and it bothered me as the car stops when I park too close to the wall of my garage. Problem is... if i don't park few centimeters from the wall, I can't close the garage... rhaaa.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It works and it bothered me as the car stops when I park too close to the wall of my garage. Problem is... if i don't park few centimeters from the wall, I can't close the garage... rhaaa.
My system does not react to the garage wall, only other vehicles.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Interesting comment, for sure, as of course there are shades of grey. I get the forward alert several times during aggressive driving, when I am in complete control, a master of my surroundings...
Have it set in aggressive and try driving around here without setting it off. You'll make it on Sunday night at 3 AM but on the cruise to work in traffic you'll get rear ended 37 times and/or shot by multiple assailents before you get there in your attempt to arrive alert free. I'll see that warning several times on the way to work and the same on the way home in aggressive mode, much less when not aggressive but I'll still get it from time to time.

So yeah, I've no idea where people are driving without getting it but it isn't going to happen here unless they turn it off or never had it on in the first place. Or they want a trip to the hospital after an unfortunate freeway road rage shooting...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have it set in aggressive and try driving around here without setting it off. You'll make it on Sunday night at 3 AM but on the cruise to work in traffic you'll get rear ended 37 times and/or shot by multiple assailents before you get there in your attempt to arrive alert free. I'll see that warning several times on the way to work and the same on the way home in aggressive mode, much less when not aggressive but I'll still get it from time to time.

So yeah, I've no idea where people are driving without getting it but it isn't going to happen here unless they turn it off or never had it on in the first place. Or they want a trip to the hospital after an unfortunate freeway road rage shooting...
while the AEB is applied, did you feel that the brakes were vibrating, or they were being stepped by themselves? Thx (Tonight I think my AEB worked... but it was so quick and I didn't even realize what was happening! )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts