Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to learn how to make the exhaust/supercharger make those pop sounds but I find myself going to fast and no pop. I popped one out the other day on the highway at high speeds and I think it was by under-shifting. But I couldn't do it again without going way too fast. The guys on Youtube (F-Pace reviews) seem to do it at will.

Any experts out there? I have the VelocityAP tune which I don't know if it makes it more difficult. I Googled the subject but didn't get the results I was expecting >:).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Aren't those guys bumping the rev limiters in some of those videos?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I am trying to learn how to make the exhaust/supercharger make those pop sounds but I find myself going to fast and no pop. I popped one out the other day on the highway at high speeds and I think it was by under-shifting. But I couldn't do it again without going way too fast. The guys on Youtube (F-Pace reviews) seem to do it at will.

Any experts out there? I have the VelocityAP tune which I don't know if it makes it more difficult. I Googled the subject but didn't get the results I was expecting >:).
Well I am so glad you asked... Pretty straight forward video below:

If you are able to get up to speed and can put it into neutral without being a danger to yourself or others than you can do it whenever you want while driving; Switch over to neutral, rev it to 3800-4000 RPM and lift off, repeat as many times as you want it to pop. Only other way I know of is by switching over to manual and flooring it and taking it all the way up to the 6500 RPM redline, it will bounce off of the limiter and make some beautiful sounds, while also burning through half a gallon of gas ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Different topic but how do you like the VelocityAP tune. Is it worth the money and effort?

·
Administrator
1,970 Posts
If you want the pop there are two ways to make it happen. First accelerate to near red line in any gear and then come of the gas. Second using the shift paddles down shift to a lower gear while not having your foot on the gas. This will only happen when you catch the top of the gear just below the gear you are in.

Hope that helps. Don't rev it in neutral whale you are moving as you have less control over the movement of the vehicle.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of good responses, thanks. I believe the tune removes the rev limiter so that might be why it's a bit more difficult without going too fast. I knew about switching to N but I always thought switching back to D might hurt the tranny. I got some highway driving to do this weekend I'll play with it some more.

JellyBelly PM me and I'll answer your questions. There is a whole thread on it here.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If you want the pop there are two ways to make it happen. First accelerate to near red line in any gear and then come of the gas. Second using the shift paddles down shift to a lower gear while not having your foot on the gas. This will only happen when you catch the top of the gear just below the gear you are in.

Hope that helps. Don't rev it in neutral whale you are moving as you have less control over the movement of the vehicle.
Thats why I put my little disclaimer in there, but I do it all the time and it works out just fine. You obviously can't put it in neutral when you need the gas to continue with the flow of traffic, but if you are coasting down a slight hill and have no need for gas it takes 5 seconds to get the popping than switch back real quick.

Its not like the power steering and braking goes away once its in neutral haha

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Lots of good responses, thanks. I believe the tune removes the rev limiter so that might be why it's a bit more difficult without going too fast. I knew about switching to N but I always thought switching back to D might hurt the tranny. I got some highway driving to do this weekend I'll play with it some more.

JellyBelly PM me and I'll answer your questions. There is a whole thread on it here.
Well you definitely would not want to switch from N back to D when you are still high in the rev range, wait for it to come back down to around 1000 RPM then switch, no harm done.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If memory serves me..I think the POP you are trying to accomplish, is the result of an extra amount of raw fuel fumes still not burnt off in the cylinder and getting to the CATS and then they ignite the fuel fumes and give the secondary explosion..

Call me old fashioned, I can take it,.... but I think that would be asking for trouble to keep trying to attain this secondary ignition in the exhaust system..just saying, be careful

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, definitively not something you want to do on a regular basis. It's good to let one out once in a while though. >:)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If memory serves me..I think the POP you are trying to accomplish, is the result of an extra amount of raw fuel fumes still not burnt off in the cylinder and getting to the CATS and then they ignite the fuel fumes and give the secondary explosion..

Call me old fashioned, I can take it,.... but I think that would be asking for trouble to keep trying to attain this secondary ignition in the exhaust system..just saying, be careful
Not sure if it would cause trouble. Look up a review of the SVR, this POP we are all referring to happens every time you lift off of the throttle in the F-type, no matter if your at 3000 RPM or 6000. Revving the engine while in park will emit the same response, from 1500 RPM on.

Im sure bouncing off of the rev limiter in the F-pace all the way up there at 6500 RPM isn't a great idea but in neutral the popping occurs at 4000 RPM so not sure it would cause any issues.

Reactions: DPK

·
Administrator
1,970 Posts
My Vette pops most times when I take my foot off the gas but that of course depends on the gear I'm in and the RPM's. You never want to pop from the rev limiter nor do you want to be going 60 MPH putting it in neutral and waiting until the engine is around 1,000 RPM's and dropping it back in gear. Although the Jag will not let you downshift past what the next lower gear and engine will handle the F Pace does not do rev matching on down shifts so just be aware of when you try to get that pop.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Well I think common sense would tell most people not to put the vehicle in neutral on a highway (unless the accelerators become stuck or the brakes arent working). I am exclusively referring to around town cruising (25-35), Ive done it since I've had the car and have not had any issues. Now if you try placing the car back in drive when the RPMs are at 4000 I can't imagine thats good for the transmission.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just found out from Chris at VelocityAP that the rev limiter and red line are set to 6900-7000 rpms. That explains it. They will be working on an exhaust system which would give them more options.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts