Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled latch, hood pops up. Engage lever hood seems to be stuck on something on passenger side. Anyone else? any tips?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I haven't had this happen. If it did, I would pull the hood lever and then push down lightly on the size sticking with the lever pulled all the way to the left to see if that would release what is holding it. Outside of that, I'd probably take it to the dealer, but for some reason I think your dealer trek may be a long one. Any good service Mechanic should be able to take a look though.

Reactions: Cat Lady

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
prior to posting I did as you suggested multiple times along with closing popping hood repeatedly with no luck then I texted my SA asking if he had any advice he said "crow bar"? Of course that made me cringe however I fixed it so I am now posting fix along with the suggestion that you check this issue often as the driver side was about to be a problem as well.

First off, IGNORE THE DIRT as that is why I was trying to open the hood.

I'm posting 2 pics one of the location of the issue circled in red and the other of the tools I used. Add to those tools, a flashlight and my glasses.
On the release where the cable is there is a slot in the metal and the cable has 2 plastic pieces you need to make sure the cable is snug in the slot of the metal with one piece of plastic on each side of the metal slot. The cable on passenger side was completely out of metal slot which caused the issue driver side was about to slip out.

If you can get the hood to pop up with hood release do that then use a padded wash mitt/pad (gray thing in pic) to slide in there and place a soft microfiber cloth over the front of hood where you are working and wrap another on pry bar. With a flashlight locate the latch and use prybar to slide toward fender of vehicle once you have successfully slid the latch hold it there while you use other hand to grab hood release and lift up if you have 2 people this would be easier as one can work release for the other side and lift up while you hold pry bar in place. Once the hood is open, locate the cable and slip the 2 plastic pieces back into the metal slot on latch and Ta-da, all better.
Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

·
Registered
91 Posts
On the release where the cable is there is a slot in the metal and the cable has 2 plastic pieces you need to make sure the cable is snug in the slot of the metal with one piece of plastic on each side of the metal slot. The cable on passenger side was completely out of metal slot which caused the issue driver side was about to slip out.

View attachment 73195
Gotta love being able to answer your own question. How do we know you're not just showing off? :)

So I guess the lesson here is to proactively check those 2 plastic pieces every few months and push them back on or replace them if no longer snugging down?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Great you were able to get it opened and thank you so much for sharing the solution. Looks like making sure the cable and those plastic pieces aren't sliding out is the key. Something to check regularly now, when I have the hood opened.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta love being able to answer your own question. How do we know you're not just showing off? :)

So I guess the lesson here is to proactively check those 2 plastic pieces every few months and push them back on or replace them if no longer snugging down?
told my SA I fixed it and sent him pics he asked me if I wanted a job 🤣
I would definitely keep an eye on those little clips because fortunately I was home and had tools and the time to figure it out. Imagine if you were broke down and need to get to the transmission switch to get car out of gear and your hood wouldn't open and a random tow truck came at it with a crow bar 😱

Reactions: myjaguar

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The whole design of this latch method is not a robust design. My hood constantly will not latch on the left side when you drop the hood from say 2 ft high. Every time I have to go push on the other corner right over the latch to get it to snap tight....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts