Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noise/Rattle from Rear of Car

Started a new thread of this to not get it confused in with my 500 mile update. Had suddenly been hearing a rattle/noise from the back of the vehicle. Not horrendous, but certainly not normal. It was a clicking/rattle sound when I was going slow on turns and over rough surfaces. Took it in to the dealer and asked. They heard immediately and kept it overnight.

Called me back today and verified it is not an interior or rear door issue as per the initial thoughts. Per the dealer, it is an issue with the rear suspension coil rubber isolator which is allowing the coil spring to rub on the stopper creating the noise. Jaguar is aware of this, there is a service bulletin that went to the dealers with no repair actions to be undertaken. The engineers are aware of the concern and no actions to be done until a fix is determined. It is safe to drive but the noise will continue until they get back to me. Big apologies, they are very sorry...:crying:

Wanted to keep you all updated. I picked it up again today (and loved the looks, sound and drive as always). Will keep everyone posted of when they get back to me regarding a fix.

As an aside, they gave me a LR2 as a loaner car. What a piece vs the F-Pace. Just my opinion (in case anyone has one...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks DesertDog3. Appreciate the information. Expecting delivery of my FP 'S' in August.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gents,

This issue is very well documented in other threads in this forum entitled "rear suspension". It is a known issue involved sub standard spring setup that occurred when the original spring manufacturer's factory was flooded and production was outsourced. There is a known fix (replacing the spring assembly). If your dealer is telling you there is no known fix, tell him to replace the spring, as that is what they are doing for other customers to rectify it (at least in the short term).

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
The test drive R Sport we rode in at my dealer had this issue and it was bad enough to make me want to burn the car down.

I hope for everyone's sake ours doesn't come with that problem.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just a heads up - they have started doing the first replacements of the affected springs in the UK, and people are reporting that once the new spring is in place the car is silent again. Time will tell if the fix is permanent.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
So far so good. Whether going slow over NYC potholes, or fast over lumpy railroad tracks, no horrible rattle so far from my F-Pace. I've even turned off the car's fabulous stereo system just to listen for it. But maybe it takes more than 700 miles for the problem to surface? I haven't babied my car at all. I've been driving it hard over every road surface except rocks and dirt.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Weird Noise?

This morning I drove to a different office than the one I work at, and I could swear I could hear behind me a faint squeak/click. It wasn't very loud and the road was plenty bumpy. I shut off the radio to make sure I was hearing what I thought I heard. I could detect it. Like a tiny metallic rattle.

But when I drove home, over 90 miles, not a thing. No tiny metallic rattle, no squeaks, no nothing. I even rolled down the window at one point to listen. Nothing.

Anybody else have this experience? Or is this the way the bad springs problem starts?

·
Registered
176 Posts
This morning I drove to a different office than the one I work at, and I could swear I could hear behind me a faint squeak/click. It wasn't very loud and the road was plenty bumpy. I shut off the radio to make sure I was hearing what I thought I heard. I could detect it. Like a tiny metallic rattle.

But when I drove home, over 90 miles, not a thing. No tiny metallic rattle, no squeaks, no nothing. I even rolled down the window at one point to listen. Nothing.

Anybody else have this experience? Or is this the way the bad springs problem starts?
Its coming for you...... duh nuh.... duh nuh.... duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh (I give up on trying to type Jaws music)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you certain you didn't run over a squirrel that was slowly dying under your 22" monster wheels? Check the undercarriage hole for animal remnants. Either way you have the next 5 years to figure out if a fix is needed.

Reactions: hookah and Peter

·
Super Moderator
1,865 Posts
On the serious side it could just be the car settling in.

Not much different that a house just faster.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you certain you didn't run over a squirrel that was slowly dying under your 22" monster wheels? Check the undercarriage hole for animal remnants. Either way you have the next 5 years to figure out if a fix is needed.
I think the squirrel that got into the hole is screaming. Stop stop stop, you are going too fast ! I want to get off.
Leave a note saying you always use adaptive cruise and is safe .

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
11 Posts

I have the same issue and already set up an appointment for Thursday

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem right at about 400 miles. I have a FE. Such a bummer. It is apparently the springs in the suspension. They need enough new owners to register complains with their dealers in order to find a fix. It's loud and it sucks, otherwise the car is perfect. The best Jag I have ever owned but my dealer said I have to wait to see when they will repair this. Will be interested to hear what you determine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine started at around 400 miles. It is a loud creaking squeaking from the back of the car. Love this car but this has taken the joy out of seeing it each morning to drive to work. The valets in my building asked if I was getting it fixed, a new car shouldn't sound like that. Hoping I will hear from others if they discover a fix via their dealer. My dealer said they haven't received any correspondence from HQ about a fix for this so I will have to wait. Such a bummer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine started at around 400 miles. It is a loud creaking squeaking from the back of the car. Love this car but this has taken the joy out of seeing it each morning to drive to work. The valets in my building asked if I was getting it fixed, a new car shouldn't sound like that. Hoping I will hear from others if they discover a fix via their dealer. My dealer said they haven't received any correspondence from HQ about a fix for this so I will have to wait. Such a bummer.
Tell your dealer to stop waiting on JLR and replace the spring. It wil only be a temp fix, but it will stop it for now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think Trek is determined to hope his issue is separate from the infamous Spring problem :p *Fingers crosse for you!*

·
Registered
11 Posts
man, I sure hope this gets taken care of correctly and quickly...my S is built and on the way (mid July del expected)....I was an early adopter of my current 2011 X3 (1st year of it's total redesign) and suffered through a noise issue with the pano sunroof-replaced the entire roof, and several additional trips back to re adjust over first 2+ years...never was right-now only quiet with the shade closed, or roof wide open...

Not sure I can deal with another fun to drive but noisy car....:mad:

When in doubt, I just go back to the thread with the BRG S w/ black wheels and stare...well, even when not in doubt...

Reactions: Peter

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I have the same problem right at about 400 miles. I have a FE. Such a bummer. It is apparently the springs in the suspension. They need enough new owners to register complains with their dealers in order to find a fix. It's loud and it sucks, otherwise the car is perfect. The best Jag I have ever owned but my dealer said I have to wait to see when they will repair this. Will be interested to hear what you determine.
Sounds like your dealer sucks ass. Have to wait for enough complaints? Bullshit, I'd tell them fix the **** car or get my money back.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My noise isn't very loud but you can hear it. What I don't get is why I can hear it (stereo off, of course) driving over "normal" asphalt with slight bumps and undulations but when I drive over bloody railroad tracks I don't hear a thing! And it doesn't matter if I take the bumpy railroad tracks very fast or very slow. There is no sound! Same thing with those bumper strips when you drive into a mall. No creaking and squeaking even thought the car is practically lifted up into the air and crashes down again. But over normal to smooth roads there is that annoying, little, but clearly detectable squeak/rattle. I also can't hear anything with the windows down.

Can someone offer a theory as to why over huge bumps the car is silent, but tiny road imperfections cause the noise thing?

1 - 20 of 329 Posts