Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, here's my still transit wrapped F-Pace Portfolio, which I posted in the caesium blue thread:

I'm having the dealer install the gloss black side vents -- that's being done tomorrow. Then Thursday I take it to a local detailer for front-to-back paint correction, black gloss wrapping of the window trim. and 4 layers of Ceramic Pro 9H. Here's the choices I still have to make, and would love opinions:

1. Do I wrap the front grille in gloss black? I'd been thinking yes, but if you look at a first edition in the blue the side trim work is all black, while the front grille is chrome. And I think it looks awesome. I'm going to keep my roof rails chrome (I don't want to wrap a part that's going to have the towers mounted on it), and I feel like black on the sides and chrome on the center line could look balanced. I'm also leaving the wheels chrome. Here's a quarter-front view of a FE:

And a fully blacked out FE:

I think the front end chrome and side black is more balanced somehow?

2. Do I replace the mirror caps with gloss black? It's supposed to be an easy switch, and I can't find a single example of an F-Pace out there with the color mirror covers replaced in the black. It would definitely darken the lines above the doors.

3. Do I replace the red wheel hubs with these blue ones on ebay? The build quality looks marginal, but hey, they're blue!

4. Do I get a shift dial growler? My interior is Sienna. I'm thinking a red one, but only if I keep the wheel caps red. I can't find one in blue. Here's the one I'd get in red:

5. Do I get MGP brake caliper covers? If yes, I'd do them in blue, with leapers, and those silly fake bolt holes removed. I'm leaning against this, as the spokes on my wheels are so tight together I feel like the caliper covers get lost when it's parked. Here's an image of what I'd spec up:

6. What else?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Wow. That's quite a list. I'm not sure about alot of it, as it's very subjective and more your personal choice, but I can speak to modifications as I've done a dozen or so.... I have a prestige 35t and I would say the best mod I've done is painting the cladding around the bottom of the vehicle. It has a huge impact in the overall look of the vehicle, and even if you dont paint yourself, it is well worth the money to wrap or paint it, just my two sense.
So, here's my still transit wrapped F-Pace Portfolio, which I posted in the caesium blue thread:

I'm having the dealer install the gloss black side vents -- that's being done tomorrow. Then Thursday I take it to a local detailer for front-to-back paint correction, black gloss wrapping of the window trim. and 4 layers of Ceramic Pro 9H. Here's the choices I still have to make, and would love opinions:

1. Do I wrap the front grille in gloss black? I'd been thinking yes, but if you look at a first edition in the blue the side trim work is all black, while the front grille is chrome. And I think it looks awesome. I'm going to keep my roof rails chrome (I don't want to wrap a part that's going to have the towers mounted on it), and I feel like black on the sides and chrome on the center line could look balanced. I'm also leaving the wheels chrome. Here's a quarter-front view of a FE:

And a fully blacked out FE:

I think the front end chrome and side black is more balanced somehow?

2. Do I replace the mirror caps with gloss black? It's supposed to be an easy switch, and I can't find a single example of an F-Pace out there with the color mirror covers replaced in the black. It would definitely darken the lines above the doors.

3. Do I replace the red wheel hubs with these blue ones on ebay? The build quality looks marginal, but hey, they're blue!

4. Do I get a shift dial growler? My interior is Sienna. I'm thinking a red one, but only if I keep the wheel caps red. I can't find one in blue. Here's the one I'd get in red:

5. Do I get MGP brake caliper covers? If yes, I'd do them in blue, with leapers, and those silly fake bolt holes removed. I'm leaning against this, as the spokes on my wheels are so tight together I feel like the caliper covers get lost when it's parked. Here's an image of what I'd spec up:

6. What else?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
1. Yes, black is better!

2. YES! Black is the best!

3. No, OEM is the best look and blue does not go with anything

4. Yes, but do black! I have had multiple comments on how OEM it looks. If you get red it takes away from the simplicity of the interior because it will be to... red.

5. I would stay away from aftermarket caliper covers, they tend to look cheap and chincy and the furthest thing from OEM.

This is all what I would do of course, so if you are a big fan of color (blues, reds etc.) than you do you. But I personally think simple is better, and less (color) is more.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

this is not and example in CB but @GRVR brought these pics back up yesterday of a White F-PACE with black mirrors see post # 3 on theis thread ... http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/what-did-you-do-your-jaguar-f-pace-today/42753-black-roof.html

Reactions: Hoopics

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious, why the black and then leave the wheels chrome?
It's all personal taste, as has been noted -- some of the examples of blue with black trim, vents, and wheels look a bit too...police interceptor for my taste. Also black wheels are a bear to keep looking nice in my experience. This user's blue with bright wheels just looks killer to me.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
You asked for opinions, so here are mine:

1. No and yes. I do not like the mix of chrome (silver) and black, I think you either get the side vents in silver or you do it all in black. If it were me, I would go all black on the chrome or silver bits, and see no need to do black mirrors if you go silver. The only reason I kept the silver on mine is that the vehicle is piano black, and I wanted some contrast (but now am thinking of going all blacked out). I think the blue with black trim bits is great. Or, blue and chrome/silver. Just not both.

2. Yes if you go all black on the trim, no if you keep things sliver.

3. Not a bad choice, i say yes to the blue centers, if the color is close to the body color.

4. NO NO NO NO NO! As some have noticed on other threads, I think Jaguar already has tons of JAGUAR script, leapers, growlers, puddle lights, and other indications that YES, THIS IS A JAGUAR. I think it is overload as it is, and do not like EVERYTHING labeled with the company marketing. Out of control, this is, so I say leave it alone.

5. Like others, I am against the covers. Get them powder coated blue, if that is what you are looking for, but not the covers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. Yes, black is better! 2. YES! Black is the best! 4. Yes, but do black! I have had multiple comments on how OEM it looks....

But I personally think simple is better, and less (color) is more.
So you're saying you like black? ;)

I hear you on the simpler is better. I'd probably do the caliper covers last (if ever), after I've done everything else, just to see how the other bits come together. The choice I need to make right now is blacking out the front grille yes or no, because if I have them put the 9H on it then I understand wrapping it later becomes almost impossible. I suppose that if I ever want to change I can put in the OEM gloss grille, but that means dropping the entire front bumper and $500 in parts.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You asked for opinions, so here are mine:

1. The only reason I kept the silver on mine is that the vehicle is piano black, and I wanted some contrast (but now am thinking of going all blacked out). I think the blue with black trim bits is great. Or, blue and chrome/silver. Just not both.
This is exactly what I'm grappling with right here -- I think the car currently has TOO MUCH CHROME. I just don't like how bright the window surrounds are. But I'm OK with the chrome roof rails and the bright wheels. The front end already has the prominent black grilles, and on the Portfolio only has the chrome oval (see this awesome one). If I do the window surrounds and the side vents, then from the front you'd see the chrome oval on the main grille, and the ends of the chrome roof rails (as pictured in the link) -- so a bit of chrome on both of the main surfaces facing you. And from the sides you'd see the edges of the silver roof rails above and the wheels below. Everything else in between would be either blue, black or silver. I feel like if the only chrome on the car is the roof rails and the wheels, that'd look really strange.

The mirror caps are also a tipping point in the other direction, I feel -- do they make it too off balanced between blue and black? I'm inclined to say no, but again only if the wheels and roof rail are there to offset it. Cat Lady, thanks for posting that link to the black caps on the white car. Gave me a good idea on how that'd look.

So as I type this and read the comments, I think I lean more strongly towards grille staying chrome, mirror caps going black. I remain undecided on the more minor bling items.

Thanks to all of you for the comments so far -- you're not going to offend me by telling me what you really think on these ideas. I know some of you wouldn't ever start with caesium blue, for example.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Reactions: Roadsterguy

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
So you're saying you like black? ;)

I hear you on the simpler is better. I'd probably do the caliper covers last (if ever), after I've done everything else, just to see how the other bits come together. The choice I need to make right now is blacking out the front grille yes or no, because if I have them put the 9H on it then I understand wrapping it later becomes almost impossible. I suppose that if I ever want to change I can put in the OEM gloss grille, but that means dropping the entire front bumper and $500 in parts.
Oh yes, I LOVE black! Its the perfect color for almost everything. Car- Black, private jet- Black, limo- Black... it just makes everything look so good. Of course there is one negative and that is every little scratch will show up.

I would black out the front grille, in fact, the only thing on your F-pace that should be chrome is your wheels. 0:)

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Hoopics,

I'm a fan of picking a look you like and sticking with it. If you are going black (like with the side vents and the window trim) then do it all the way. Front bumper, rear bumper, and most importantly the rims. With the rims, I think you need some black, but if you like chrome or silver accents only do the back portion of the wheels in black and leave the flat or high spots silver. You see this with the Double Helix wheels with the black inserts, those black inserts work on the Bright Silver, Gunmetal and black DH rims. You could do something similar with your existing wheels if you like the look and want to save money. Any good paint shop should be able to paint the wheels satin black, but leave the chrome/silver accents by masking some part of the wheel off. Or go for new wheels that are mostly black with some silver or chrome accents. I'm once to go with all black as you'll see with my wheels, but pick a style and stick with that. With that said, don't go overboard on the black. I don't think you need to do the mirrors, leave them blue. If you want color on the calipers, then I would do RED or BLACK, but I wouldn't do another color.

Most importantly, the above is my opinion, and it's just that mine, you need to stick with what YOU want since it is YOUR car and most of these mods are personal preference. So I offer my opinion as that. if you like it, that's great, go with it, if not go with what you want, it's your car!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm probably an outlier here. I LIKE the silver lower panels on the S model. I am planning (if it EVER gets warm) to plasti dip my R Sport black panels in silver.

Kerry

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go Black everywhere with gloss Black mirrors and consider powder coating your wheels Black as well and caliper Red (powder coated plszz)
NO CALIPER COVERS!!!
It's a Jag after all on a KIa L ��l
P.S. I would also wrap the portion of the roof between windshield Black

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appreciate all the feedback. The gloss black side vents are in, and I'm happy with that choice. The window trim is also going black. For now I'm going to keep the grille chrome and the mirror caps blue. For now. I might go black on those down the road. I'm adding the black leaper to the shifter knob, and the blue center caps to the wheels IF the color matches -- if not it was a $15 failed attempt. I'm not going to do the caliper covers. I'll post pictures in this thread once all the mods are in place and the coating is done -- likely 10 days or so from now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a picture of the car at drop-off with the detailers. You can see the black side vents installed by the dealership and the pillar transit wrap still on. These cars ship with surprisingly little in the way of cover on the body paint, and the number of small blemishes on the car tell the tale. They'd probably have been covered by the polishing job the dealer would have done in PDI. I now understand why my sales rep was so adamant about wanting to have his team prep the exterior before handover -- I've had three year old Audi's with better paint on them than this brand new Jag. I don't say this to knock anyone; instead its to let folks know if they're considering ceramic coating in the future that at least basic paint correction should probably be in their budget.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a white, 2018 Portfolio. I have a red growler over the shift knob. I love it.

I would not change the red hubs, though again, my model is white.

I did consider coloring the calipers red or yellow, but in my opinion, the Portfolio wheels look terrible with colored calipers.

The point of the Portfolio is to be a luxury model while the R Sport is the sportier model. In my opinion, too many flashy mods cramp the original purpose of the Portfolio edition, so other than the indulgence of a red and chrome growler on the shift knob, my vehicle is stock.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
These cars ship with surprisingly little in the way of cover on the body paint, and the number of small blemishes on the car tell the tale.
When mine came off the transporter, it still had the JLR car cover from the boat trip. Very nice form fitted, with zip down door entry access and clear plastic windows.
Maybe your transport company removed it, but I can't imagine why.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Love the caesium blue, just beautiful. Have you got back from detailers yet? Would love to see the difference in paint correction
Here's a picture of the car at drop-off with the detailers. You can see the black side vents installed by the dealership and the pillar transit wrap still on. These cars ship with surprisingly little in the way of cover on the body paint, and the number of small blemishes on the car tell the tale. They'd probably have been covered by the polishing job the dealer would have done in PDI. I now understand why my sales rep was so adamant about wanting to have his team prep the exterior before handover -- I've had three year old Audi's with better paint on them than this brand new Jag. I don't say this to knock anyone; instead its to let folks know if they're considering ceramic coating in the future that at least basic paint correction should probably be in their budget.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Love the caesium blue, just beautiful. Have you got back from detailers yet? Would love to see the difference in paint correction

Thanks. I won't have it back until the 30th. They need about three days with the car, plus three more for the ceramic to cure. Then I'm on the road for work. I'm as eager as you to see it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts