Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I Had Both Done

Votes: 6 37.5%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Paint Protection Film or CQuartz Finest treatment? I know they are for different purposes and what those purposes are but I don't want to budget to get both done. That's really effing expense. I just can't make up my mind which one. Cost will be about the same--$1700. PPF won't cover the entire car only the key areas mostly likely to be hit by road debris. CQuartz Finest will cover the entire car including roof, pano, and the rear end and wheels.

I want my F-Pace exterior to look really nice. Which one do I go with?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't gotten my car but I'm planning to have Ceramic Pro Silver Package + PPF on key areas (partial hood, full front bumper, side mirror, door edge and cargo loading edge). I felt this will be best bang for the buck. Ideally I wanted PPF on full car, but that was way expensive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My quote for xpel film covering the front, bumper, full hood, and mirrors along with Opti-whatever coating for the full car is around $1600 from a very well rated detailer. Others quoted me up to $3k for similar coverage. Call around and you may find a deal from a good detailer just getting started.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I paid ~$1900 for both, but I did have to do some negotiating to get that price. I did XPEL on the full front bumper/full hood/mirrors, plus Opti-Coat Pro all over. It didn't seem worth it to me to pay for the highest level of Opti-Coat coverage (can't remember what it's called - Pro Plus?), since it costs nearly twice as much, but the warranty is only 2 years longer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My quote for xpel film covering the front, bumper, full hood, and mirrors along with Opti-whatever coating for the full car is around $1600 from a very well rated detailer. Others quoted me up to $3k for similar coverage. Call around and you may find a deal from a good detailer just getting started.
Which detailer are you using?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Which detailer are you using?
Kirby at Colorado Clear Bra. I also talked to Colorado Detail, Colorado Auto Spa, and the dealer; all of them were significantly higher.

I think he quoted me around $600 for the full front Xpel coverage and another $1-1.1k for Opti-Coat. I just picked up the car last night so I need to call him back and set the appt.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Trek, If price is not a factor I'd have both done. The benefit you get from film is protection of the base coat of paint from road debris. If you ride on interstates a lot, like I do, this is a must to avoid chips to the front of the car. The cQuartz will make the car shine, and will help you keep it clean, but it doesn't help when a rock comes and hits the front like the film. The film will stop most chips. Only big rocks will cause damage through the film.

I did the film first, I plan on attempting the paint treatment myself with my boys this spring when the weather breaks. I plan to test application on one of our older cars and if it goes well I'll do it myself with my boys. Otherwise I'll pay the guy that did the film. He game me a reasonable price to cover the entire car (including the film) with the treatment that was reasonable.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know anyone reputable near me that does both. It's either one or the other, which is why it adds up. One reason I'm having trouble making up my mind is because I've never had this done to any car I've ever owned, including Acura and Lexus. Maybe because I knew I would keep the Acura forever and hand it down to one of my kids, and Lexus was a lease. My other cars? I kept them until they died.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kirby at Colorado Clear Bra. I also talked to Colorado Detail, Colorado Auto Spa, and the dealer; all of them were significantly higher.

I think he quoted me around $600 for the full front Xpel coverage and another $1-1.1k for Opti-Coat. I just picked up the car last night so I need to call him back and set the appt.
Kirby did mine as well - SunTek film on bumper, full hood, mirrors and door handle pockets. He did a great job. How did your delivery go?

·
Registered
390 Posts
You'll have to have paint correction work done if you go with the CQuartz or you'll be putting coating over swirl/scratch. You may get away without that if doing PPF alone. May affect cost and your decision.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You'll have to have paint correction work done if you go with the CQuartz or you'll be putting coating over swirl/scratch. You may get away without that if doing PPF alone. May affect cost and your decision.
Is paint correction required before applying film to your hood and bumper?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is paint correction required before applying film to your hood and bumper?
No. Not required. You'll just be covering your existing finish, in whatever condition it's in, with the film. But if opting for the coating alone, you should include/do the paint correction to ensure your resultant finish is flawless as it's not easy to fix it after having it applied and cured (or near impossible without a lot of effort).

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
Would highly recommend you do film on the black pillars all around. I had it done, and they were buffed out before, and it's made a world of difference because that stuff seems to scratch if you breath on it. I did film on a lot of the vehicle and then ceramicpro on winter Jaguar rims so they wash off easily. Very happy with combo. I also had the hood of my 10 year old 4 Runner repainted because after 120,000 miles of both cross country and rocky mountain highway/byway/off road driving it was chipped all over. that was $1,500 to get color right and blended with rest of front. $200 or less of film would have likely prevented 99% of it.

Reactions: RoonieQ

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't know anyone reputable near me that does both. It's either one or the other, which is why it adds up. One reason I'm having trouble making up my mind is because I've never had this done to any car I've ever owned, including Acura and Lexus. Maybe because I knew I would keep the Acura forever and hand it down to one of my kids, and Lexus was a lease. My other cars? I kept them until they died.
I'm in the same boat - having never owned a "luxury" car, I never thought twice about going through a touchless car wash & calling it good. I've requested a quote from a local detailer for the CQUARTZ Finest treatment with paint correction & full detail, solely based on all the great information here on the forum.

Previously, I had gotten a quote from another place for the 3M protective film. They said that it comes in 60" sheets, and they weren't sure if the entire hood could be covered with one piece. I wasn't thrilled about just doing the front end of the hood, leaving a line....also not thrilled about possibly having a seam anywhere.

I might still do the film after the paint treatment. Anyone know the dimensions of the hood? Can one piece cover it?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in the same boat - having never owned a "luxury" car, I never thought twice about going through a touchless car wash & calling it good. I've requested a quote from a local detailer for the CQUARTZ Finest treatment with paint correction & full detail, solely based on all the great information here on the forum.

Previously, I had gotten a quote from another place for the 3M protective film. They said that it comes in 60" sheets, and they weren't sure if the entire hood could be covered with one piece. I wasn't thrilled about just doing the front end of the hood, leaving a line....also not thrilled about possibly having a seam anywhere.

I might still do the film after the paint treatment. Anyone know the dimensions of the hood? Can one piece cover it?
I think you should forego 3M and go with Suntek or Xpel. Xpel has a longer warranty and is thicker. Suntek has an okay warranty (5 years), is slightly thinner than Xpel but allows for a glossier appearance. My F-Pace was 10 months old (a month ago) when I had it done, so I went for paint correction first because I had swirls in a couple of places. The film was applied after the paint correction, and then Ceramic Pro (an alternative to CQuartz) was applied to the entire vehicle including windows, panoramic roof, all four wheels, etc. I've been ecstatic about the results. The Suntek came in a kit customized to fit the F-Pace. It covered full hood, full front fenders, both rocker panels all the way to the rear, front bumper, all the individual pieces on the front end, both sideview mirror cases. The installer threw in both LED headlamps gratis. I don't know if 3M has an F-Pace kit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think you should forego 3M and go with Suntek or Xpel. Xpel has a longer warranty and is thicker. Suntek has an okay warranty (5 years), is slightly thinner than Xpel but allows for a glossier appearance. My F-Pace was 10 months old (a month ago) when I had it done, so I went for paint correction first because I had swirls in a couple of places. The film was applied after the paint correction, and then Ceramic Pro (an alternative to CQuartz) was applied to the entire vehicle including windows, panoramic roof, all four wheels, etc. I've been ecstatic about the results. The Suntek came in a kit customized to fit the F-Pace. It covered full hood, full front fenders, both rocker panels all the way to the rear, front bumper, all the individual pieces on the front end, both sideview mirror cases. The installer threw in both LED headlamps gratis. I don't know if 3M has an F-Pace kit.
I had the very same duo, Suntek and Ceramic Pro applied within 2 weeks of ownership. The detailer also did wheel, windshield, and interior protection with C-Pro's products. The F-Pace cleans up very nicely now after touchless car washings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts