Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HUD is one option I was not interested in until I saw it on a test drive. All of a sudden I reconsidered it. I did not think the $900+ price was worth it.

What do some of you think about this option and has it been something that you have used a lot. I have never had this option with any car I have ever owned. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Even after seeing them and using them, not just in the F-Pace, but in little sport Jap cars up to full Road Trains, I don't see the benefit. They get in the way and float there in front of you, on Scania's you can't turn the bastards off either. Standard dash board is all you need, none of this floaty crap that makes you feel sea sick.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've only driven one car with the HUD (a BMW loaner while the Z4 was in the shop), and I actually liked it. And anything that keeps your eyes upfront and ahead, not looking down, is a good thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well there's nothing on the hud that takes an extraneous amount of time to look at anyway, if anything there's more info than you need. Really, it takes less than 1/10 of a second to glance at the standard speedometer, or sit in a spot where you can see it in te periphery.

Other stuff like a tacho is useless anyway, either on HUD or in Dash.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hud

HUD is one option I was not interested in until I saw it on a test drive. All of a sudden I reconsidered it. I did not think the $900+ price was worth it.

What do some of you think about this option and has it been something that you have used a lot. I have never had this option with any car I have ever owned. I appreciate the feedback.
Unnecessary distraction. There is a digital speedometer setting on the dash board immediately in front of the driver.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I love it. I can't imagine going back to a car without it now. I never have to take my eyes off the road to glance at the dash for speed checks etc. It feels way safer, and now when I do find myself looking down at the dash it feels unnatural. Best $1000 upgrade have ever spent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had one on my '99 Vette and loved it. Hasn't been available on any car I've had since until the F-Pace, so I ordered it! If you like to exercise those horses it enables you to keep your eyes on the road better. If you're not an enthusiastic driver, then you might not see much benefit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you have ICT then it's a worthwhile feature to have for the added navigation prompts, but if you have ICTP (and are on a budget) then it is kind of overkill because you can already view maps, speed limit, and speedometer on the digital dash.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not like there is a great deal of ponies in them....

700nm of torque and 221kw is not really mind blowing, though would tow a good sized trailer.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Greetings,

The HUD is a great tool to have when driving. I really enjoy using this feature for various reasons. I think the best use of the HUD is during night driving. The driver is able to keep their eyes on the road while checking navigation or speed. For me, any added safety feature could be worth your life or someone else's that may be in the car with you. ;)

Best regards

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also wondered if I'd use it (probably wouldn't have ordered a car with it), but after 2 months glad I have it. I find myself no longer looking down at the dashboard, only when I put the navigation map (ICTPro) on it... It's also brighter than other systems I've seen in the past (I guess it is a laser type projection system?)

Reactions: Peter and Classix

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's amazing that once you have it and start using it, you seldom look at the regular gauges while on the road. Speed, speed limits, and navigation direction all right before your eyes. Awesome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For me, the HUD along with the ICTP NAV map on the instrument cluster is easier on the eyes and less distracting than than the conventional displays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have it, its nice, a cool feature, but I cant say its a must have. I got it on a whim, and yes it is slightly more convenient than looking at the dash for speed, and nav directions, but the difference is marginal. Its the type of tech that will be standard on a hyundai in 5 years...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like having the HUD and I can see it very well with polarized sunglasses. My previous car had HUD but I had to lift the sunglasses in order to see what it said

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a tinge of regret over not ordering this option after test-driving a model that had it. I thought it would be really distracting, but it's not. It's actually quite nice.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts