Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 F-Pace Premium 35T, 26K miles, 3 year service.

Out of curiosity, I decided to check for simple evidence of whether the recent required maintenance was done. Engine air filter elements had insect parts and some dirt/dust. Not necessarily near the end of serviceable life, but this isn't an inspect and replace if needed item, it's 3yr/48K miles whichever comes first. The engine air filter elements were the originals (stamped 01/2017; vehicle was assembled 03/2017).

What are the odds that the (annual) pollen air filter was changed? I'm guessing 0%. The procedure for doing this is pretty extensive and your dealer knows you will probably never venture to do it yourself.

What about brake fluid? Mine was pretty clean looking already, but is a 3 yr replacement item as prescribed in my manual. I seriously doubt that it was refreshed.

Why do dealers consistently over-inflate the tires to normal loading pressures when you have them set to the prescribed comfort setting while at the same time never inspecting the inflation of the spare tire? I keep tires at 34psi (19" wheels) but always come home with 40psi (I guess I should make a point of telling them, except that they don't seem to be very social). It's not much of an issue anyway to take the air out, but the fact they don't even look at the spare is disconcerting (over time has dropped to 36 psi, should be 60 psi). Air is free so they will always want to add some just to show that they actually did something to the vehicle.

That leaves the engine oil change. I can see that the filter housing has marks from the removal tool, so the oil has been changed at some point. But on a vehicle that gets 8-9K miles a year, what's to prevent them from skipping a year? Or just changing the filter element?

So has anyone else out there tried to verify that the "required" services are being completed per schedule? Has your dealer provided any evidence of part replacement other than an entry on your receipt? Is JLR in such dire straits that they are trying to save a few bucks on services that customers prepaid for? Or, is it isolated to a few unscrupulous dealerships? Is there perhaps an assumption that a late model Jaguar owner will never understand or attempt maintenance on their vehicle?

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,373 Posts

Out of curiosity, I decided to check for simple evidence of whether the recent required maintenance was done. Engine air filter elements had insect parts and some dirt/dust. Not necessarily near the end of serviceable life, but this isn't an inspect and replace if needed item, it's 3yr/48K miles whichever comes first. The engine air filter elements were the originals (stamped 01/2017; vehicle was assembled 03/2017).

What are the odds that the (annual) pollen air filter was changed? I'm guessing 0%. The procedure for doing this is pretty extensive and your dealer knows you will probably never venture to do it yourself.

What about brake fluid? Mine was pretty clean looking already, but is a 3 yr replacement item as prescribed in my manual. I seriously doubt that it was refreshed.

Why do dealers consistently over-inflate the tires to normal loading pressures when you have them set to the prescribed comfort setting while at the same time never inspecting the inflation of the spare tire? I keep tires at 34psi (19" wheels) but always come home with 40psi (I guess I should make a point of telling them, except that they don't seem to be very social). It's not much of an issue anyway to take the air out, but the fact they don't even look at the spare is disconcerting (over time has dropped to 36 psi, should be 60 psi). Air is free so they will always want to add some just to show that they actually did something to the vehicle.

That leaves the engine oil change. I can see that the filter housing has marks from the removal tool, so the oil has been changed at some point. But on a vehicle that gets 8-9K miles a year, what's to prevent them from skipping a year? Or just changing the filter element?

So has anyone else out there tried to verify that the "required" services are being completed per schedule? Has your dealer provided any evidence of part replacement other than an entry on your receipt? Is JLR in such dire straits that they are trying to save a few bucks on services that customers prepaid for? Or, is it isolated to a few unscrupulous dealerships? Is there perhaps an assumption that a late model Jaguar owner will never understand or attempt maintenance on their vehicle?
JLR would not be the ones saving money. The dealer gets a set fee for saying they did the work. You could add your initials to the air filter to see if its been swapped out. You can get a paint pen to mark bleeder valves on the calipers or take pictures to see if they turn them, also put a pice of tape on the side of the panel next the glove box to se if it’s been moved or not touched then you would know if they took the pollen filter out.

the fact that your worried tells me that you might not trust your dealer

hopefully the dealer is doing the right thing

DP

Reactions: four-walling

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
While I have had faint thoughts of this, I'm going to go with the theory that they DO do what they say. I wouldn't be afraid to put a sharpie mark on anything that can easily be checked, but until they give me a reason that they don't do it right, I'm gonna say they do....

·
Registered
233 Posts
If there's a problem, it certainly is at the dealer level. I haven't had any issues - other than the shared experience of fully inflating the tires beyond light load (as my settings show). I, too, keep forgetting to tell them in advance in hopes of saving a step when I get home.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Interesting theory and somewhat appropriate because I've wondered the exact same thing. My SA is always laughing about the low mileage on my vehicle (2017 with 10,000 miles). So it does beg the question as too whether they skipping a required annual service on a low mileage vehicle and still billing JLR for the service....... :unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
588 Posts
... Why do dealers consistently over-inflate the tires to normal loading pressures when you have them set to the prescribed comfort setting...
Ooh, ooh, ooh! I know this one! The vehicle was EPA-qualified to have the published gas-mileage using the higher (over) inflation. So the dealers are required to bring them back up to that (over) inflation level. No matter how much you might beg when dropping the vehicle off for service. I try to remember to pull out my gauge and let some air out before leaving the dealer. Every time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Certainly the higher PSI was used for EPA mileage testing, but the dealer isn't "required" to reset the air pressure 4 years later (in my case). They'd also have to fix the ECO system, replace the tires, and make sure the car only has premium gas. The option of lower air pressure is documented in the manual (for light loads).

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have no inside information on this, but I believe there must be some guidance from JLR to fill the tires to the higher load limit for liability reasons. I always request in writing my desired PSI and it’s 50-50 if they accommodate me. No big deal, but definitely an annoyance. As far as doing all required maintenance, until I have a reason to doubt them, I assume they do. I hope🙏

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the feedback. DP - good points on marking things. I hate to have to resort to that, but I actually considered it before taking the vehicle in. Now, wish I did. I was going to do something subtle to know whether the brake fluid reservoir was opened, but didn't.

Fact is, if the dealer never did a single thing to your F Pace, and you didn't notice, it wouldn't likely suffer a failure within the warranty period as a result (to include the synthetic engine oil, though the filter material might present an issue).

I think the issue with the tire pressures is simply laziness. The technician inflates to whatever pressure is stated in the door jamb, which is the full load pressure for the submodel's tire size. skyking - i think that may be correct about the tire pressures. Dealer could never have any liability concerns if they go with the higher pressure. But let say someone's pressures have fallen off to the comfort level, and the dealer doesn't add air, they may fear liability if that customer is driving around with a loaded vehicle and towing their camper thinking they have the proper inflation level. But, I'd just wished they'd checked the spare. I stupidly thought they were doing rotations each year too. Until I realized that the front tires were wearing faster (wife drives somewhat conservatively). So basically this dealer never recommended a tire rotation and never said anything about wear levels because all tires had at least some usable tread, lol.

I confronted the service manager with the fact that the engine air filters were not replaced. Told me how great their tech is and that he would never intentionally do something like that. Requested I stop by at my convenience to have things checked out and the filters replaced. Not sure what I'll do regarding the pollen filter, but I think they are on the hook to prove otherwise.

In the meantime a P0062 DTC has come up, so it looks like an O2 sensor may need to be replaced, and I will have to take it in anyway.

·
Registered
2017 F Pace
1 Posts
What is recommended tire pressure. I have been reluctant to lower tire pressure out of fear my tread would wear out sooner. Will a lower tire pressure affect comfort and handling?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I run my 20’s at 37 PSI, which sits in the middle of the two load ratings. I’m happy with the ride and no wear problems, but I don’t have too many miles on them.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
What is recommended tire pressure. I have been reluctant to lower tire pressure out of fear my tread would wear out sooner. Will a lower tire pressure affect comfort and handling?
If you have the stock tires on you WANT them to wear out sooner so you can put something better on!
25K on my stock tires and this will be their last year..... I'd say 60-70% gone right now....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've often thought about this too. Although oil level can be checked digitally, I wish there was a dipstick to check oil cleanliness after service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer replaced one of the O2 sensors as expected for P0062. Replaced the engine air filters. Service writer left phone message alerting me that FPace was ready and that service mgr, tech, and shop foreman had all conferred on my reported issue with the failure to replace filters, but also mentioned something about checking cabin air filter and removing a "cowling". Didn't think much of it at the time. Returned their LR Velar and drove FPace home. Had the hood up today and noticed that the 2 plastic push plugs that hold in the 2 squishy rubber divider pieces into the windshield cowling near the hood struts were not secured. I can only assume that they attempted to access the cabin pollen filter through the winshield cowling? I don't think that would even be possible (for an FPace). But they did make sure to reinflate the tires to 41psi.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts