Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide whether to order a diesel now or wait until I can drive one in the fall. I want the fuel economy and I'll probably be satisfied with the 180hp. If anyone has driven one, I'd be interested to know if it feels powerful enough to merge well into fast moving traffic, how it accelerates to pass another car, the feel driving at 70mph etc. Thanks!
Marty
currently Toyota Highlander V6 AWD
currently MGA '61
currently MGTD '53
previously 11 Volvos (1963-1987)

·
Registered
221 Posts
No. I don't think there are any diesel cars in the US yet... You can check out the reviews on the UK forum though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For merging in traffic and maintaining highway speeds, 180hp and 320lbs of torque are more than enough power. Now the diesel won't achieve the 5.6 second to 60 mph speed of the gasoline v-6 engine, but it's 8 second to 60 mph time is above average for most SUVs on the road today. Those who buy quick accelerating performance cars very rarely use the full potential of their capabilities anyway. They will test the capabilities of the hp engine a time or two, but to continually drive at full capability will get you arrested or killed.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am red blooded and American and love hp fast cars. For that there is a Corvette in the garage; however, it is rare that it gets driven at full capability, very rare.

The diesel F-Pace will fit what my wifes needs for daily driving very well. She currently is driving a Lincoln MKX that is much heavier than the F-Pace and is rated at 6 seconds to 60 mph. She has never been in a situation, that I know of, where she needed that kind of acceleration capability. The Mkx gives her about 22 mpg with her driving style, I expect the F-Pace to yield high 30s to low 40s.

I have not driven a diesel F-Pace yet, but have driven similar diesels with the same horse power and torque. I am confident the diesel F-pace will not be an underpowered slug.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nope - I assume my diesel test drive will occur in my own car, when it arrives in September... :D

Based on the UK forum comments about gas mileage, I expect high 20s in the city (at least here in DC; maybe higher elsewhere) and high 30s/low 40s on the highway.

Nearly every review has raved about the 2.0d, so unless going 0-60 at breakneck speed is important to you, it seems to be a great engine for the car. And WE won't be complaining about the "small" gas tank...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've ordered a 3L Diesel here in Australia but haven't had a chance to test drive it in the F-pace as it's not officially launched yet.
I did ask to test drive the same engine in the XF.

I was in a bit of a pinch to be honest...just 30min prior I was with Porsche and test drove the Macan's 3L diesel.
The Fpace has 221kw and 700nm of torque.
The Macan has 190kw and 580nm of torque.

I actually thought the Macan's engine was much more refined and smooth on accel and gear down.
The Jag had a bit of a lag when u stepped on it. It took that much longer for it to select the right gear, but once it did, the torque was crazy!

I told the Jag salesman that, and he said "It's a Porsche, that's why". Not much of a salesman!
However, I still stuck with my gut feeling to get the Jag though as it seems more practical in terms of space, and also I'm sure I can train my right foot to be 'ready' for the gear down if I need to really overtake someone!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
There are two pretty informative videos on the 2.0 diesel. Just watching the shift points and the trees going by you gives you at least some sense that it will be fine. If economy is in your equation, this is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=SIHbXDhD5Ro

and this one:

I have a very underpowered Mazda3 that is my daily driver, but it has terrific handling. And as long as you keep it in the right gear, it is a blast to drive. I expect the same from the FPace diesel.

May your wait be short...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts