Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jaguar F-Pace P400 R-Dynamic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice from any gearheads.....

My ‘21 F-Pace P400 has developed a grinding noise when I’m turning. It has happened ~3-4 times and I think it’s always been when turning right. Kind of sounds like metal rubbing on metal. I’ve never experienced this in a vehicle before.

Any ideas? I’ll obviously get it checked out, but my dealer is hours away.

·
Registered
2016 3.0TTD
169 Posts
It would help if we knew where the grinding noise was originating from. Front right, front left, under the hood, etc. ?

Since it is under warranty, I would definitely plan a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would help if we knew where the grinding noise was originating from. Front right, front left, under the hood, etc. ?

Since it is under warranty, I would definitely plan a trip to the dealer.
Definitely under the hood. I don’t think it’s wheel-related. Sounds like something rubbing in the steering column.

·
Registered
2016 3.0TTD
169 Posts
Then you really need a trip to the dealer. I doubt that there is anything that you can do to correct the problem and why should you if it is under warranty. Please get back to us and let us know the outcome for those who may have the same problem in the future.

Map out your trip to the dealer so that you only need to make left hand turns. 😎

Stu

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then you really need a trip to the dealer. I doubt that there is anything that you can do to correct the problem and why should you if it is under warranty. Please get back to us and let us know the outcome for those who may have the same problem in the future.

Map out your trip to the dealer so that you only need to make left hand turns. 😎

Stu
Had it checked out today. They couldn’t reproduce the noise on a test drive (in fact, I haven’t heard it in a few weeks either). A thorough inspection under the hood and beneath the vehicle didn’t yield any obvious issues. The tech said he has encountered this before on other JLR vehicles. There is a collar around the steering column that can produce noise at times when steering (?).

Anyway, I’ll have to accept that for now and see if it keeps happening. I’m at least reassured that there’s not some major part loose.

I’ll keep you guys posted if it persists and I have to take it in again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have this "clinking" of metal on metal. to me it sounds like "linkage" or something. its from the suspension when i take a bump a specific way. Dealer couldnt find the noise, but said my muffler head sheild was loose, so they put a new bolt in it. I'll have to go back and actually do a ride-along to show them the sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am getting a similar noise after just picking up my jag yesterday. Do a midway turn in a counter clock wise direction and keep it constant. Scraping a pan really loud. When I get out it smells like something from the front of the car is emitting something like burning rubber or some other potent car odor. So far the dealer said drive it another day and see if it stops. But I've been turning in circles off and on for an hour and it is just as loud as the first iteration. Anyone solve this yet ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Mine is in for final complementary service right now. I mentioned a rubbing sound when turning the steering wheel right and/or left, very irritating. It's quite noticeable during warmer months and I instructed the tech to conduct the test with all interior sound off (radio & A/C). I also had them reference Jaguar bulletin SSM72933. They were able replicated sound I was complaining about. The SA called me to say they would be replacing the "steering shaft and boot seal". So happy they were able to replicate the sound during this final warranty service; I can't imagine what the cost would be outside this complementary period.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is in for final complementary service right now. I mentioned a rubbing sound when turning the steering wheel right and/or left, very irritating. It's quite noticeable during warmer months and I instructed the tech to conduct the test with all interior sound off (radio & A/C). I also had them reference Jaguar bulletin SSM72933. They were able replicated sound I was complaining about. The SA called me to say they would be replacing the "steering shaft and boot seal". So happy they were able to replicate the sound during this final warranty service; I can't imagine what the cost would be outside this complementary period.
Thanks for the update - dropped it off today - will update here once the results are in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The scraping noise while turning was resolved. Fyi - highly recommend creating videos for the Jaguar Tech team - they were unable to reproduce from the verbal description but once shown a video of the occurrence - they were able to replicate and diagnose quickly. Notes from service below:

SECONDARY ROAD TEST NOISE WAS CONFIRMED. FOUND SSM 75410 RELATED TO CONCERN.

SSM STATES: Issue:
Customers may experience a clicking/ticking/scraping noise whilst turning left or right and full lock at low speeds. Noise originating from the front wheel area.

Cause:
Brake disc to wheel hub flexing/moving during cornering load allows stick-slip movement of the disc along the wheel hub spigot.

Action:
  • Confirm customer complaint from the front wheel area.(Attached media files)
  • Remove road wheels.
  • Clean hub spigot area (Attachment 3)
  • Apply Molycote grease to hub area (MOLYKOTE® Cu-7439 Plus Paste)
  • Check wheel nuts have free spinning captive washers – if they do not have free spinning washers, replace affected wheel nuts.
  • Refit the road wheels.
POST CORRECTIVE ACTION FOUND VEHICLE OK NOISE WAS NOT BEING ABLE TO BE REPLICATED.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The scraping noise while turning was resolved. Fyi - highly recommend creating videos for the Jaguar Tech team - they were unable to reproduce from the verbal description but once shown a video of the occurrence - they were able to replicate and diagnose quickly. Notes from service below:
Good to know, thanks. You’ve got a ‘21 right?

The noise I was hearing didn’t sound like it was coming from a wheel, but who knows. I’ve only heard it twice in the past couple months. If it persists then I’ll have my dealer check on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good to know, thanks. You’ve got a ‘21 right?

The noise I was hearing didn’t sound like it was coming from a wheel, but who knows. I’ve only heard it twice in the past couple months. If it persists then I’ll have my dealer check on this.
Yes, it's a 2021. However, after 3 days of driving it's grinding again on a left-hand turn only. I Will update once they figure it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My ‘21 F-Pace P400 has developed a grinding noise when I’m turning. It has happened ~3-4 times and I think it’s always been when turning right. Kind of sounds like metal rubbing on metal. I’ve never experienced this in a vehicle before.

Same problem for me on 2 day old SVR.
Very annoying.
Also - where is the Master Pin documented?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is in for the final complementary service right now. I mentioned a rubbing sound when turning the steering wheel right and/or left, very irritating. It's quite noticeable during warmer months and I instructed the tech to conduct the test with all interior sound off (radio & A/C). I also had them reference Jaguar bulletin SSM72933. They were able to replicate the sound I was complaining about. The SA called me to say they would be replacing the "steering shaft and boot seal". So happy they were able to replicate the sound during this final warranty service; I can't imagine what the cost would be outside this complimentary period.
They are doing the same - replacing "steering shaft and boot seal" on my 2021 P400 - waiting on shipping now. Did they replace it for you and did it solve the rubbing noise? To replicate this noise I just went <10mph and moved the steering wheel back and forth about 20 degrees to rock the SUV back and forth. For the loud scraping noise while turning left they are replacing the breaks and calipers - waiting on shipping now. I Will update once tested after replacement. To note - the shop gave me a 2021 P250 as a rental and it does not make either of these noises.

·
Registered
627 Posts
They are doing the same - replacing "steering shaft and boot seal" on my 2021 P400 - waiting on shipping now. Did they replace it for you and did it solve the rubbing noise? To replicate this noise I just went <10mph and moved the steering wheel back and forth about 20 degrees to rock the SUV back and forth. For the loud scraping noise while turning left they are replacing the breaks and calipers - waiting on shipping now. I Will update once tested after replacement. To note - the shop gave me a 2021 P250 as a rental and it does not make either of these noises.
Yes they replaced the shaft and boot seal on mine, absolutely no noise now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Boot seal bracket replaced for steering shaft - front breaks and calipers replaced. No noise while turning !!! So grateful this didn't end up a lemon. To note: it did have to sit in the shop for 2 weeks while they worked it out with headquarters/testing/etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts

"]

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 F-Pace steering column was creaking when turning. Dealer determined that it was a foam boot around steering column at base of bulkhead that had come loose and was rubbing slightly. They were able to make an adjustment and fix it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts