Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jaguar F-Pace Prestige
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a serious problem for receiving the GPS signal when using Waze on Android Auto. I have tried a few places to store the phone and the problem seems less prevalent when it is on the passenger seat. On the other hand, when it is in the cup holders or near the gear selector, the problem is obvious. Strangely, the problem seems less prevalent on Google Map apps (even if the phone is on the center console).

I understand that the problem might be related to the heated windshield which would obstruct the GPS signal?
Windshield blocks GPS signals? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Anyone else experience this issue? Any ideas to improve GPS performance on the Pixel phone while inside the F-Pace? I would like to find a solution to continue using Waze.

Heated windshield option
Panoramic sunroof

Google Pixel 4 XL Phone
Android 11 (last update)
Android Auto and Waze (last update)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have an older Pixel than you do and have the same problem with Waze ever since I first got Android Auto. It is so bad that I stopped using Waze and use Google Maps only now (which works fine for me also). It seems to me like my location stops updating in Waze after a certain length of time (as if it is timing out). I tried updating settings in both Waze and the phone and never was able to figure out something that would work. Eventually just gave up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I place my phone beside the gear selector (by passenger knee) and Waze (via Android Auto) has no trouble getting GPS signal through my heated windshield. I'm using a 2-year old Samsung Note 9 (Android 10).

Reactions: QcFPace

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@gearFX : do you have the heated windshield option on your SVR? If yes, I will probably try a Samsung phone. Maybe that Samsung GPS antenna is better?

Thanks @mkauffm... Same problem. Similar device.

·
Registered
80 Posts
@gearFX : do you have the heated windshield option on your SVR? If yes, I will probably try a Samsung phone. Maybe that Samsung GPS antenna is better?
Yes, I have the heated windshield too.

Reactions: QcFPace

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a S and currently have a 2020 svr. I used multiple pixel phones, up to the 3xl, with both jaguars. They also both had heated windshields. I always had problems with android auto and some other apps and believe it is because pixel phones do not have enough ram to run aa plus the other apps. I recently upgraded to a moto edge plus which has triple the ram as well as a faster snapdragon cpu, and all of my android auto issues were resolved. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had an Audi Q5 technik with Android Auto and my wife has a VW. No problem with GPS reception with the Pixel2 or Pixel4 XL on Waze or othe apps. There really is an interference problem in the Jag (probably caused by the heating windshild, but this is only a guess).

My employer will provide me a new Samsung S20 for work. He's on order. I will be able to check if the Samsung antenna is more powerful.

Otherwise, I wanted to evaluate the installation of a GPS amplifier-repeater by plugging it in series with the OEM GPS antenna on the Jag roof and putting the repeater on the plastic of the driver assistance scanners at the top of the windshield. Professional installation. But I have to check the feasibility with a technician. Do you thonk that's it possible?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts