Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so like many others out there, I rely on the Waze app on my iphone for navigation since it does way better than the car's nav system when it comes to live traffic based routing, but inside the F-Pace I seem to have very flaky GPS signal. Sometimes its fine but then randomly my phone will show itself hopping streets and not where it really is and even losing GPS signal entirely sometimes. Its not so much a problem for me since I know my around, but the car is my wife's and she's really complaining hard about it since she almost got lost today lol.

Anyone else experience this issue? Any ideas on how to mitigate or improve GPS performance on the iphone while inside the f pace? I currently have mine mounted on the dash right by the AC vent in the center.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
I would bet 99% chance it has nothing to do with being in the F-Pace unless it somehow has to do with phone's location and sky visibility. I have not seen this problem at all and my phone mostly sits in front of shift dial.

Here are some general suggestions on fixing and improving GPS performance on the IPhone (the prime one I'd try is to go into and out of airplane mode but also do a soft reboot once to see if that helps):

https://www.technobezz.com/iphone-gps-not-working/

Also check that location services are turned on and in right mode for apps you're using gps with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish that were the case, but its the same phone that I've used in my other cars and have NEVER experienced this at all, only in the Jaguar. In reading some other posts on the web, there are some ppl complaining about radar detectors and ez-passes that have issues with certain windshield coatings, I am wondering if thats the case? My windshied on the jag has some kind of coating in it, I can see the outline of it and it gives it a slight bluish tint from the outside. I'm guessing its some type of metallic base heat shield tint thats interfering with the cell phone gps signal.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
OK, so I'll try again. I use an IPhone 7 and have zero problems with GPS in a Jaguar F-Pace. Not sure what's happening in your situation. There are tons of reports online of gps problems in certain iphones and apps, particularly immediately after an IOS update. Have you tried any of the tips offered in that link?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have iphone 7 as well and have no issues, I do have the heads up display which may require some kind of windshield coating. I used google maps and I was surprised when the nav system tried to sync it telling me I had new destinations did I want to sync, couldn't ignore finally went away. Have a bunch of other issues that the update should take care of, but those aren't that bothersome to make appointment yet. And I have 6300 miles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have an iPhone 6+, and use Waze every time I go out of town, pretty much every weekend, and have never had any issues. None, zilch, zero, nada!

I should also add that I have the heated windshield, heads-up display, along with almost every other option known to mankind.

Where is your phone sitting when you have issues? Does moving it to a different location help any?

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Any ideas on how to mitigate or improve GPS performance on the iphone while inside the f pace?
I'm always surprised that GPS works in a car anyway ;)
The "jumping streets" implies that you are losing too many satellites for a good geometric position. Tall buildings will do the trick, depending on where you are driving.
Supposedly phones use cell towers and WiFi more often that we think to get a position.
I wonder if you are using the vehicle's networking features with the phone and that might be interfering with those other location inputs which the phone could use if connected directly?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts