Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I used my Navigation (ICTP) and while position was right initially, for the remainder of the 30min drive, the position was about 1/4 mile off.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Today I used my Navigation (ICTP) and while position was right initially, for the remainder of the 30min drive, the position was about 1/4 mile off.

Any thoughts?
10,000 miles and I've never had that happen. In older cars the GPS is once in a great while was a bit off. It doesn't happen very often. I don't think you need to worry about it. Keep using it. You should have a 99% accuracy rate. But remember, sometimes streets do change, and addresses occasionally move.

·
Registered
255 Posts

Any thoughts?
Check to see if your clock updated for Daylight Saving Time (if you're in an area that does that). If the clock is wrong then it expects the satellites to be in different places and then can't determine your position accurately.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The GPS doesn't rely on the in car clock for synching with the PRN satellites. Where were you when this happened? Do you usually have good signal there? While the USGOV eliminated selective availability (intentional degradation of the signal for civilians) in 2000, there can be times when it's wonky for one reason or another. There are still plenty of areas with poor reception.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it's a chronic issue everywhere you go. There's so much "noise" in the electro magnetic spectrum these days it's not at all unusual to lose your fix once In a while.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Any thoughts?
Been there done that....It took the dealership almost 2 weeks to figure it out...They replaced like 4 or 5 different components and from what I was told, it ended up being the GPS antenna...I watched them on a daily basis (through the app) test driving her after they replaced another component and I could see the route they were attempting to take but they continued to mow the grass until finally the antenna solved the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think GPS (in general) struggles in some coastal areas. For instance, I used my iPhone to track runs on Hilton Head, and it had me out over the water for much of the time, and mileage was way way off. It was not a one time thing either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been there done that....It took the dealership almost 2 weeks to figure it out...They replaced like 4 or 5 different components and from what I was told, it ended up being the GPS antenna...I watched them on a daily basis (through the app) test driving her after they replaced another component and I could see the route they were attempting to take but they continued to mow the grass until finally the antenna solved the issue. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I guess I may need to reach out to the local dealership.
The issue continued this morning, while driving 30 minutes to work.
Cell phone gps was spot on.

I have send a note to Jaguar (through the online contact form), let's see what they say.

So, when you had this fixed, did they provide a loaner vehicle?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the info, I guess I may need to reach out to the local dealership.
The issue continued this morning, while driving 30 minutes to work.
Cell phone gps was spot on.

I have send a note to Jaguar (through the online contact form), let's see what they say.

So, when you had this fixed, did they provide a loaner vehicle?
The 1st week I had the crappie Disco (AGAIN) but I demanded a different vehicle so they offered me an XF or an Evouge. Picked the Evouge since I'm actually thinking about a convertible 1.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I noticed this over the weekend as well. I was driving down the interstate and for some reason it had me on the frontage road. Then, I was driving in the middle of downtown Chicago, and it couldn't find me all that well or keep up. That one surprised me less. Still, if my phone can do it, my car, which can have a much large GPS antenna, should be able to as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to update the thread.
The car has been in the shop now 3 times.
1st time nothing was found and done - problem remained
2nd time ICTP was eexchanged - problem changed to be less off (now only thousands of feet and not tens of miles). Problems till comes and goes.
3rd time, ICTP software was updated - problem remains. Mostly after parking in a parking garage (where sirius gets mostly satellite signal), the car will wonder off road and find itself correctly after ~30 minutes. However it can't tell if I am on the Interstate or feeder next to it. When leaving interstate and turning, it looses my position for 9miles (until home) and another 9 miles (next day). Total time to recover position about 60 minutes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had GPSs in prior vehicles get "lost". One day while visiting a Coast Guard cutter, I noticed their large Garmin GPSs and told the Coastie about my car observations. He told that it is all about the antenna and took me outside to see the huge GPS antennas on their cabin roof. I woulder if there is a loose wire in your antenna.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I fully agree with your assessment.
The error presented indicates an intermittent problem with the quality of the GPS signal.
If ALLL ICTPs had the issue, ya'll would have chimed in as this being normal.

The sad part is, that all 3 times I brought the car in I stated that the issue is most likely due to a faulty GPS signal.
That due to the fact that the issue comes and goes, it is most likely a loose cable or bad solder spot in the GPS antenna.
In all 3 cases my suggestion was put-off as, "the tech center it is not that, it is ..."

This is why I am now considering pushing for Lemon Law. If Jaguar is not willing/ able to fix a simple GPS antenna issue, then I guess we have to talk about exchanging the car...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts