Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R-Sport has standard calipers, and I am calling around for estimates on powder coating them to be Glossy Black, to match the Black Pack (thanks for the idea GRVR.) I just spoke with Classic Powder Coating, in Maryland, who tells me that it is roughly $100 per caliper, but you have to get them off the car and disassemble them, and then put them back on, which will end up, all told, costing $2000, yes, you read that correctly, two thousand dollars. Does this sound reasonable? He also said that in a perfect world it could be done in 5-10 days, but I should allocate up to a month, depending on when his mechanic next door can make the time to come in and get the calipers on and off the car. This sounds ridiculous. How do other people go about getting the calipers to be a new color? No way, I can give up my brand new ride for up to a month.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
WHAT THE ???? Leave em' STOCK !!!
Your F-Pace is already *ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS* , and you know it !!! :)

Reactions: DrivingMrAsher

·
Registered
265 Posts
My R-Sport has standard calipers, and I am calling around for estimates on powder coating them to be Glossy Black, to match the Black Pack (thanks for the idea GRVR.) I just spoke with Classic Powder Coating, in Maryland, who tells me that it is roughly $100 per caliper, but you have to get them off the car and disassemble them, and then put them back on, which will end up, all told, costing $2000, yes, you read that correctly, two thousand dollars. Does this sound reasonable? He also said that in a perfect world it could be done in 5-10 days, but I should allocate up to a month, depending on when his mechanic next door can make the time to come in and get the calipers on and off the car. This sounds ridiculous. How do other people go about getting the calipers to be a new color? No way, I can give up my brand new ride for up to a month.
I don't know about you but it sounds like they have no desire do the work hence the extremely high cost and excessive long lead time. That being said, I have no clue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WHAT THE ???? Leave em' STOCK !!!
Your F-Pace is already *ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS* , and you know it !!! :)
Been reading about the rusting of the calipers on another thread, and am nervous about that happening to mine, which is why I thought powder coating made sense. But, at what price?

Also, I know that lime calipers will not work with IRR, so no need to malign me ;-):D

Reactions: L-PACE

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Been reading about the rusting of the calipers on another thread, and am nervous about that happening to mine, which is why I thought powder coating made sense. But, at what price?

Also, I know that lime calipers will not work with IRR, so no need to malign me ;-):D
Now you know darn well , that *GR* was just goofing around with you about the "Lime Calipers" ! Especially after seeing the *STUNNINGLY AWESOME* F-Pace you bestowed upon us in your F-Pace Arrival post !
He already knew you knew better , and was just having fun ! :) As Usual !!! >:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can likely buy black powder coated calipers for less than $2000 and then install them yourself. I don't think all that expense and time is worth it for a relatively minor cosmetic change.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I don't know about you but it sounds like they have no desire do the work hence the extremely high cost and excessive long lead time. That being said, I have no clue.
This is the correct answer. They don't want to do it, or they DO and you shouldn't trust them to do the work. Powder coating calipers is a single day job.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Removing, dis-assembly, re-assembly and re-install of a caliper should take a competent mechanic maybe a hour per wheel, plus a little more time to bleed the system. Done it before myself many times. So, maybe $500 - 600 in labor plus $400 for the calipers. 2 grand definitely sounds like a ripoff. As mentioned above they probably don't want to do it.

When I did the calipers on my Corvette a couple of years ago, I did pay about $100 per for powder coat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could not put it better myself. Of course the idea of buying brand new calipers, when these have only 50 miles on them, really rubs me the wrong way. Despite all you colorful calipers on the forum, who are a bad influence ;-) I will live with my OEM gray ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where did you get the Jaguar stickers?
There are numerous ones on eBay for under $10.00 including shipping. Just search Jaguar Brake Vinyl Decals...just make sure they are high temperature ones.

Reactions: bryankingston
1 - 15 of 15 Posts