Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'm guessing they are forged, because;
Forged wheels are different in that they start out as aluminum billet, typically 6-7 inch diameter bar stock. These are then cut into the right length (the volume needed), heated, and pressed into shape (using very accurate dies and successive steps) under about 6-12000 tons of pressure. The forging process imparts a lot of energy into the metal and changes the internal grain structure of the aluminum (metals have a crystalline structure) and this change in the grain structure is what gives a forging additional strength in comparison to the original billet rod. They are then heat treated to a T6 condition in the case of 6061-T6 to get the right mix of strength and ductility. A forged aluminum wheel has a higher specific strength as well as higher toughness (engineering term for its ability to absorb energy) in comparison to a casting. This allows an engineer to design a wheel that is lighter, stiffer and less susceptible to cracking under impact and with better fatigue properties than a casting...

Reactions: ILoopThem

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm guessing they are forged, because;
Forged wheels are different in that they start out as aluminum billet, typically 6-7 inch diameter bar stock. These are then cut into the right length (the volume needed), heated, and pressed into shape (using very accurate dies and successive steps) under about 6-12000 tons of pressure. The forging process imparts a lot of energy into the metal and changes the internal grain structure of the aluminum (metals have a crystalline structure) and this change in the grain structure is what gives a forging additional strength in comparison to the original billet rod. They are then heat treated to a T6 condition in the case of 6061-T6 to get the right mix of strength and ductility. A forged aluminum wheel has a higher specific strength as well as higher toughness (engineering term for its ability to absorb energy) in comparison to a casting. This allows an engineer to design a wheel that is lighter, stiffer and less susceptible to cracking under impact and with better fatigue properties than a casting...
DPK - Sorry but I don't get it. What does a DESCRIPTION of what a "forged" wheel is have to do with verifying that the OEM stocker 22's are actually...well, forged? Did you find that description in a Jaguar product description or some other "source" that tells about the F-Pace's 22" optional wheels?

Given that Mfgs are interested in profit, it is significantly more likely that they are CAST. Also, there are multiple different 22's options out there. The Turbine style could well be forged. It would only require taking the wheel off the car to look at the way the hub was made. It's pretty obvious if it was cast because there is generally a serial number PRESSED into the cassting whereas forged wheels would not have that type of labeling.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm going to go with they are flow casted

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really HOPE they are forged, given the >$4k price tag.
However, I highly doubt they are. Could not find any info online, despite searching.
You can get some quality BBS wheels for cheaper...but the 22" 9006 do look great.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
What difference does it make, forged versus cast, other than the price? Any experts here?
Cast wheels are usually a lot heavier and they are almost impossible to repair should you mess the rim up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What difference does it make, forged versus cast, other than the price? Any experts here?
As with anything else some forged wheels are junk and some cast wheels are pretty good due to quality of construction. That being said in general forged is going to be lighter and stronger than cast. Stronger needs no explanation, lighter matters because unsprung weight has a huge effect on performance in every parameter. Economy, braking, acceleration, wheel control, steering response, etc. All get worse as unsprung goes up.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Cast wheels are usually a lot heavier and they are almost impossible to repair should you mess the rim up.
I guess Trek won't be getting those >:)
You knew that was coming!!!!!!

Reactions: Jman97

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I guess Trek won't be getting those >:)
You knew that was coming!!!!!!
Lol, he'd be buying a new wheel every few months >:)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
22" Wheels

Found this while perusing the web this morning:

Our tester also had one big problem, its 22-inch wheels. Sure, they look cool, and they're wrapped in grippy Pirelli P-Zero summer tires, but man, they ruined this car's ride. Jaguar engineers are masters of achieving a good ride/handling balance, perfect for the UK's notoriously bumpy roads, but these giant wheels throw all of that out the window. If you're ordering an F-Pace, avoid these wheels, even if they look cool.

From R&T article "What You Learn After Driving a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S"

Reactions: TLockhart and GRVR

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Found this while perusing the web this morning:

Our tester also had one big problem, its 22-inch wheels. Sure, they look cool, and they're wrapped in grippy Pirelli P-Zero summer tires, but man, they ruined this car's ride. Jaguar engineers are masters of achieving a good ride/handling balance, perfect for the UK's notoriously bumpy roads, but these giant wheels throw all of that out the window. If you're ordering an F-Pace, avoid these wheels, even if they look cool.

From R&T article "What You Learn After Driving a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S"
Ha! What a crock! Who is driving on the "UK's notoriously bumpy roads?" Not me! My 22 inch P-Zeros ride smooth as glass on US roads and are better for performance. They also look (awesome) better and that's important, too.:D

·
Registered
245 Posts
They are not better for performance, they lose more metrics than they win against the 20"wheels and would lose them all if the 20s could be had with similar rubber. In fact C/D has tested the car 3 time and the 22" FE car was almost beat by a 340 hp variant. That's how big a Nerf the 22" wheels are, it's the equivalent of duct taping a 10 lb barbell to each wheel.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
They are not better for performance, they lose more metrics than they win against the 20"wheels and would lose them all if the 20s could be had with similar rubber. In fact C/D has tested the car 3 time and the 22" FE car was almost beat by a 340 hp variant. That's how big a Nerf the 22" wheels are, it's the equivalent of duct taping a 10 lb barbell to each wheel.
Nonsense!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Nonsense!
It worked :D
I knew this would stir things up, and reopen previous opinions on this subject.
It gives the newbies something to think about :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts