Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to confess the 1 thing I thought would not be a big deal has actually been really, really annoying which is the extremely small gas tank in the f-pace? Has anyone heard if the 2018 will have a bigger gas tank? The 15+ gallon gas tank is just too small. I do not mind going to the WaWa gas station to fill up now and then, but I feel like a frequent flier at the gas pump. Anybody else agree that a 20 gallon gas tank would have been the better move for Jaguar to go with?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I have to confess the 1 thing I thought would not be a big deal has actually been really, really annoying which is the extremely small gas tank in the f-pace? Has anyone heard if the 2018 will have a bigger gas tank? The 15+ gallon gas tank is just too small. I do not mind going to the WaWa gas station to fill up now and then, but I feel like a frequent flier at the gas pump. Anybody else agree that a 20 gallon gas tank would have been the better move for Jaguar to go with?
The petrol is 16.6 gallons. The diesel is 15.9 gallons. I would appreciate even a small bump. Even a 17.4 gallon tank (which is an industry standard for most cars... or so I thought) would do better than what it has now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my wife's GLE Mercedes has a 24 gallon gas tank, which makes me wonder why Jaguar went so small with the gas tank? I mean to really should not cost that much more to have the larger gas tank right? It would probably be impossible to do an aftermarket change to a larger gas tank? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
My F Pace replaced an Audi Q5 which went close to 500 miles on a tank. I feel your pain, especially now that winter is here. This tank is definitely too small.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This has been my only serious complaint about the car. I came from an ML350 with a 25.1 gal. tank and well over 500 mile range to the 16 gal. tank and a 280 mile range. I am having a hard time adjusting especially since I have a fairly long commute each day. With any side trips I can't go a week. If you look at the area around the battery under the spare tire, there seems to be a lot of room. I am not suggesting putting a tank there but with some space reallocation they could have found a way to get another 5 gallons of capacity. I suspect they wanted to reduce weight for efficiency numbers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
lol I went from a diesel Grand Cherokee Summit that averaged 25.61 MPG average (actual math at the pump at every fillup) and had a 25 gallon tank. I'm most def noticing the difference and not in a good way. The money doesn't bother me but I dislike the inconvenience of having to stop twice as often. As to the 18s, there is no change list or even well sourced rumors to bat about.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
yes, this has been discussed multiple times, there are few threads out there about it. I think a 20 gallon tank would be good if they could fit it appropriately. What annoys me about this is that there is at least 4 to 6 gallons of room if not more behind the battery below the spare tire. if they repositioned the battery further back, you would think they may have been able to position a second tank ahead of the battery and behind the rear diff, but perhaps that would have been a risk area due to crashes. Either way, having a little more fuel would be nice.

By the way on my owners survey, it is something that I did vent about specifically. I'm sure they will listen to me! :) But I think the earliest we could see a change is in the next iteration of the base design which probably won't be till around the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Im not sure it will take that long. If there are enough complains I could see Jaguar taking the two tanks from the diesel (one for the diesel fluid the other for diesel), combining them and moving it right over to the petrol version to make a larger gas tank. I dont have that long of a commute each day but I could imagine how annoying this small of a tank would be for those who do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So has anybody heard of anyone actually changing out to a larger gas tank? I am actually considering the idea. I would save at least 30+ minutes a week by not having to stop and fill-up. Here in Pennsylvania I do enjoy going to Wawa just not having to go every week...I was used to more like once every 2 or maybe 3 weeks...I really never gave the small gas tank thing a second thought prior to purchasing.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
So has anybody heard of anyone actually changing out to a larger gas tank? I am actually considering the idea. I would save at least 30+ minutes a week by not having to stop and fill-up. Here in Pennsylvania I do enjoy going to Wawa just not having to go every week...I was used to more like once every 2 or maybe 3 weeks...I really never gave the small gas tank thing a second thought prior to purchasing.
I'm pretty sure you could KISS your "Warranty" GOODBYE , by swapping out a DANGEROUS Component , such as a Gas Tank !!! Just a thought !!!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
This is an interesting topic. It would be nice to get into the heads of the designers and engineers to understand why it is so small. I bet it was a combination of weight, cost, and availability of space. I see that the petrol platform that the FP is roughly based (XF) on has a 19 gallon tank. I have to believe they came to the right decision based on their reasons, as they must have known the size is smaller than normal, and would cause concern by the future owners.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the S model, for 2 weeks, and this has become a major annoyance.

The low fuel indicator appears after about 330 km!!!

The tank is 63 liters, below the SQ5 73 liters.

My average consumption has been 16.45 and 17.14l/100km (caluclated manually and not with the onboard computer)

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
The tank size doesn't bother me a bit, but I work at a gas station!:) I'm guessing I might be the only one on this forum.
Doesn't bother *GR* either !!! :)
What bothers me more , is having to hear people complain about it !!! ;)
I think I heard a wise man once say something about a "Dead Horse" ??? >:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
The new RR Velar also has a tiny 16 gallon tank. Looks to be a sister vehicle of the F-Pace but with a much nicer interior.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The new RR Looks to be a sister vehicle of the F-Pace but with a much nicer interior.
Same thing I said..Except I used the words "Cosmetic differences"..

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
That's one reason why the diesel may be a little better.. at least you can get 400 + miles from a tank..... Still very small though....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I average about 274 miles city driving on my current car with a 17.4 gallon tank and about 16.8mpg so I'm hoping the 18/16.6 keeps about the same. What kind of mileage do you all with 35t get on the interstate? I assume getting 440 miles on a tank won't be possible.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I average about 274 miles city driving on my current car with a 17.4 gallon tank and about 16.8mpg so I'm hoping the 18/16.6 keeps about the same. What kind of mileage do you all with 35t get on the interstate? I assume getting 440 miles on a tank won't be possible.
No. It wont

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The most I've seen someone say they got was around 340. Ive only managed around 315 and that is a two hour drive only on 65 mph roads. Most compact sedans have a larger gas tank than this mid/full size SUV haha.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts