Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else notice that the first half of a full tank goes down much slower on the gauge than the second half. The 1/2 to empty seems to decrease drastically.

No issue noted, just an observation. I've gotten used to planning my local gas station visits based on that knowledge. But on a recent long distance trip with this wicked cat, I was almost caught off guard between gas stations.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That is true with all cars. I've experienced the same on Honda and Toyota as well.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Anybody else notice that the first half of a full tank goes down much slower on the gauge than the second half. The 1/2 to empty seems to decrease drastically.

No issue noted, just an observation. I've gotten used to planning my local gas station visits based on that knowledge. But on a recent long distance trip with this wicked cat, I was almost caught off guard between gas stations.

I've gotten used to just looking at the miles to empty reading, to be honest I rarely even look at the actual fuel gauge. Less guessing that way LOL. :laugh:

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I've gotten used to just looking at the miles to empty reading, to be honest I rarely even look at the actual fuel gauge. Less guessing that way LOL. :laugh:
Miles to Empty is VERY ACCURATE , on mine at least !!!

I've had it to ZERO , and then some !!!;)

Reactions: JocDoc

·
Registered
232 Posts
Miles to Empty is VERY ACCURATE , on mine at least !!!

I've had it to ZERO , and then some !!!;)
Maybe not exactly "accurate" (since it didn't run out at 0), but reasonable and cautious - which is probably a good thing, since the manual warns about potentially damaging the fuel pump if you run out of gas. Since the "Distance to Empty" is on the safe side, JLR would be within their rights to decline coverage under warranty.

Meanwhile, the E-Type gauge is very accurate to the extent it reads "F" when it's full and cuts off at "E." In the middle, you get 100 miles on the "first" 1/4 of a tank and 100 miles on the rest.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Reactions: uncheel

·
Registered
378 Posts
My rule, fill up at 1/4 tank. You NEVER run out that way.

I'm old enough that I don't have to test the limits on everything anymore and still young enough to enjoy burning the fuel fast.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I'm old enough that I don't have to test the limits on everything anymore
There is NOTHING to *TEST* !!! The car tells you how many *miles to empty* you have !!!

Apparently the *TESTING* was done BEFORE the car got to me , because it's *VERY ACCURATE* !!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hello @Florida guy! You know, with the way the calculations have evolved with computer control over fuel flow and speed/distance, there is really no need to worry about testing the limits. The display shows how many miles to empty, and is fairly accurate. All of this testing of the accuracy has been done long before you or I took delivery, and over the years, has proven to be very accurate.

(Just re-wording @GRVR's post to be a bit more friendly and easer to read)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hello @Florida guy! You know, with the way the calculations have evolved with computer control over fuel flow and speed/distance, there is really no need to worry about testing the limits. The display shows how many miles to empty, and is fairly accurate. All of this testing of the accuracy has been done long before you or I took delivery, and over the years, has proven to be very accurate.

(Just re-wording @GRVR's post to be a bit more friendly and easer to read)

My biggest problem with the diesel is the pump heads. Not all of them fit into my sled. Some of the high volume heads (I guess they are needed for semis) won't fit in the throat of my intake. Early in my ownership, I was down at the beach and the ONLY diesel station in town had two diesel pumps and both wouldn't fit. The closest station was 20 miles away and I didn't if I could make it or if it were even on open on a Sunday.

I said that day, I would never go below a 1/4 of a tank again as to not be caught needing it and not being able to get it in my car.

I'm just a little superstitious about some things and that is one of them now.

When I was 16, the radio was playing Grand Funk Railroad's "I'm Your Captain" and the master cylinder ruptured on my dad's 64 Volvo and I crashed into the crash bars at a restaurant. One week later, same song, I put one of my dad's deputy attorney's burnt orange 442 in a ditch when the same song was playing. No damage but rear wheels were in the air and no traction to pull itself out. Yep, I got a ticket and a whipping! Whenever that song comes on even now (40+ years later), I still pull over and park for 15 minutes and not drive while I know it is playing. I did that this past Monday afternoon. Somebody else can drive but, that song will NOT be playing.

I don't want the same thing happening about not being able to put fuel in my sled. 1/4 tank, I fill up!

·
Registered
145 Posts

Every car I have ever had !

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry bud but all cars do that....
Is this your response to me? My point was that this seems to be exaggerated in this car vs the others I've owned. That's all. I'm not about to sell my F-Pace because of this. :|

And for you guys running the car down below 1/4 tank...keep in mind the in-tank fuel pumps most modern vehicles have are cooled by the fuel around them. Running it low repeatedly on-purpose may lead to premature failure of the pump itself due to overheating. Just sayin...

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,363 Posts
Since my car is still less than a month old I can agree with you it does go down faster the bottom half. My guess is full can be differnt yet half is half. Some people pull the pump,out the first time it shuts off. Then others will keep going until, it spills out the top of the fill neck. For me so far I have been filling it up when it's half full for several reasons.

First the gas around here is 89 or 93 so the first fill was at the dealer my guess it was 89 ( because well it's a dealer and they are cheap) so when it's half I fill it up with 93, then next time 89. So far it's only been twice so easy to keep track.

Second reason is Zombies. You never know when the zombies attack so don't have time to fill up just drive out to the west Texas ranch bunker.

Third I forgot the third reason but it was a good one I just can't remember it.

Fourth it seems like it cost less to fill half a tank then to fill an empty tank

That's just my take on it.

DP

Reactions: Dai Uy Ted

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
One interesting point is when you get to the point that your low fuel light comes on, The ICTP display automatically displays the nearest station for fuel to help you get somewhere quick.... Nice touch !

Just figured this out this week on the 2nd tank. Avg of 31 MPG in hot city driving so far, Not to shabby !

·
Registered
378 Posts
Since my car is still less than a month old I can agree with you it does go down faster the bottom half. My guess is full can be differnt yet half is half. Some people pull the pump,out the first time it shuts off. Then others will keep going until, it spills out the top of the fill neck. For me so far I have been filling it up when it's half full for several reasons.

First the gas around here is 89 or 93 so the first fill was at the dealer my guess it was 89 ( because well it's a dealer and they are cheap) so when it's half I fill it up with 93, then next time 89. So far it's only been twice so easy to keep track.

Second reason is Zombies. You never know when the zombies attack so don't have time to fill up just drive out to the west Texas ranch bunker.

Third I forgot the third reason but it was a good one I just can't remember it.

Fourth it seems like it cost less to fill half a tank then to fill an empty tank

That's just my take on it.

DP

All valid reasons but if I had a gasser, it would be 93 and ethanol free every time, like I did in my Q5. Better economy and less hesitation on acceleration. YES, I read your signature line too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts