Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I am getting 20 mpg in my S and I drive like my hairs on fire. I got about 12 in my QX50. Nice engine.
Considering the size and power of the V6 engine it does seem reasonable on gas. It is something I will miss when my F-Pace gets replaced by the SVR in the coming months. bigger Fuel tank in the SVR I'm looking forward to, but not the expected MPGs. From the RR Sport SVR, I'm expecting something in the 16 combined, maybe 19 or 20 on the highway. Even with the 21 Gallon tank, I may be filling up just as much!

·
Registered
264 Posts
We just returned from a trip to South Florida, in our 2019 F-PACE "S". On the cars computer, for the highway ride, we were able to average around 24 mpg. Now, I know the purists will argue that this isn't the "real" mpg numbers; only if you calculate miles driven with fuel ingested. That's too much work for me. I'm satisfied that it's in the low to mid-20's.

Now, when doing the same trip in our 2013 XJ supercharged V-6, I, of the heavy foot, can get the numbers into the low 30's. Since I flunked engineering, I was puzzled by this since both have the 8-speed automatic. Just for the exercise, I often drive with the tachometer as my speed measuring instrument. In the XJ, I can happily run down the highway at around 80 mph with the tach registering around 1800 RPMs. Doing the same in our MY 2019, 80 mph has us running at around 2200 RPMs. I recognize that one is a luxury sedan and the other a work horse that can pull a couple of tons, so the gearing is designed for that.

But, how about this. Add the ninth gear to the F-PACE to give it longer legs in the MPG race, but design it so that when pulling anything with the draw bar, the ninth gear is disabled? Probably a bit too expensive, but --- interesting.

Of course, as those are want to say, "If you can afford an "S", why worry about the cost of fuel". Not the issue, it's just an exercise. As I write this, our COSTCO was selling regular for $1.99 and premium for $2.39. I guess I'll just continue down life's highway blowing gas out our dual exhausts, which give just a bit of a "burble" as the car gets excited.

Have a great holiday, all of you "gear heads". Let's hope the miles to come are safe and secure for you and your loved ones.

King Fala

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am about 6 months in to owning a 30t prestige (Black on black BTW!! ;) ) and I'm getting around 11.3ltrs/100kms (approx 21 miles/gallon) The fuel tank is not very big so it feels like I'm filling it up every other day!

The Jag website says I should be getting a combined economy of 7.7 l/km (30 m/g) !!!! Am i doing something wrong or are they doing something wrong!

Anyone else have a similar engine for comparison... Driving mostly around outer suburbs of town so no real heavy traffic... but I guess the S mode does get used a bit.. grrrr

MR

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have Mercedes C63, it comes with a 6.2 v8 so mpgs are around the 14-15mpg depending on how heavy is my foot hahaha, you cant ignore 490hp from an NA V8 engine......Fpace since i live in city I get around 18.4mpg, that's the best I can do in ECO mode, other than that i won't get higher numbers unless I do a road trip.

64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am about 6 months in to owning a 30t prestige (Black on black BTW!! ;) ) and I'm getting around 11.3ltrs/100kms (approx 21 miles/gallon) The fuel tank is not very big so it feels like I'm filling it up every other day!

The Jag website says I should be getting a combined economy of 7.7 l/km (30 m/g) !!!! Am i doing something wrong or are they doing something wrong!

Anyone else have a similar engine for comparison... Driving mostly around outer suburbs of town so no real heavy traffic... but I guess the S mode does get used a bit.. grrrr

MR

Those are good numbers for the size vehicle. The manufacture numbers are always "best case". Accelerate really slowly and only go the speed limit not 1 km/hr more. You will get 30 m/g out of the car but will induce road rage from you and others.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Question (and not to be a jerk): Why buy a car like this and worry about gas mileage? That's what the diesels are made for. The petrol engines in these cars are meant to be "driven" in a spirited way. It is a performance SUV.

I refuse to drive this car in ECO mode unless my fuel light comes on, nor does it ever occur to me to think about how often I fill my tank (once per week).

Sorry for ranting

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Never drove my FE in Eco mode either. Always Dynamic.

Reactions: Dakar09

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
@Dakar09 others, including myself, agree. Though better fuel economy is more desirable on long trips, that is only because of the relatively small gas tank necessitating more frequent stops, not from any need to save a couple of dollars at the pump. I am surprised there is even an ECO option on the S.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
This may come as a surprise to MANY members on this forum ,
but GRVR has been chillin' out in *NORMAL MODE* , for quite some time now !!!:)

When I first got on the scene here at the JAG-U-AR F-PACE FORUM ,
all I was hearing was "Terrible Gas Mileage" & "Not A Big Enough Gas Tank" !!!

So I set out on a mission ,
to see exactly HOW GOOD *MPG's* the F-PACE S could get !!!
Ours lived in *ECO-MODE* pretty much 24/7/365 ,
and we don't really ever drive it that AGGRESSIVELY / ENTHUSIASTICALLY !!!:laugh:

Well , we PROVED time & time again ,
that the F-PACE S is indeed capable of achieving *25-mpg* CONSISTENTLY !!!:D

Moving on to recent times , and WHY ours lives in *NORMAL MODE* now !!!
The reason we have made the switch to *NORMAL MODE* is ,
because while you are in *ECO-MODE* , it is taking power away from the engine ,
in order to make the engine more efficient (better mpg's) (using less fossil fuels) !!!
That all sounds great , but what they don't tell you is ,
they try to accommodate for the (taking power away from the engine) ,
by LESSENING the QUALITY OUTPUT of the ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS while in *ECO-MODE* !!!:mad::mad::mad:
This means , your AC might not blow as COLD as it would in NORMAL MODE !!!:mad::mad::mad:
Your HEAT might not get as HOT as it would in NORMAL MODE !!!:mad::mad::mad:
COOLED SEATS , HEATED SEATS , HEATED STEERING WHEEL , are ALL affected as well !!!:mad::mad::mad:
I assume the HEATED WINDSHIELD would be too ???

Most others disagree with *ECO-MODE* because of the LACK of ENGINE PERFORMANCE !!!:mad:

I disagree with it , because of it's EFFECT on the SYSTEMS we LOVE to use on a daily basis !!!:mad:

So YES folks , NO MORE *ECO-MODE* for GRVR !!!;)>:)0:)

Reactions: FirstAscent

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Most others disagree with *ECO-MODE* because of the LACK of ENGINE PERFORMANCE !!!:mad:

I disagree with it , because of it's EFFECT on the SYSTEMS we LOVE to use on a daily basis !!!:mad:

So YES folks , NO MORE *ECO-MODE* for GRVR !!!;)>:)0:)
Actually having driven other Jaguar's and being way too familiar with limp mode as well as having had the experience of several failed Chevy/GMC fuel pumps, I don't use Eco-Mode because it FREAKS ME OUT!!!!:eek:

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question (and not to be a jerk): Why buy a car like this and worry about gas mileage? That's what the diesels are made for. The petrol engines in these cars are meant to be "driven" in a spirited way. It is a performance SUV.

I refuse to drive this car in ECO mode unless my fuel light comes on, nor does it ever occur to me to think about how often I fill my tank (once per week).

Sorry for ranting
I get what you're saying in terms of 'worry about gas mileage' and i guess its just the way it is. it wont change my driving style either!

Dynamic & S all the way baby!

MR

·
Registered
334 Posts
...but what they don't tell you is...
Actually, they kinda DO tell you. At least, they do in the owner's manual that I received.

I run in Normal mode as well as I'm not sure I see any gas mileage difference between Normal and ECO. Although, lately, I'm been in Dynamic mode quite a bit. It's fun and YOLO!

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
334 Posts
BTW, for those interested, I've kept stats on 43 fill-ups and, for those, I've found that the dash gauge reports an average of 3.67 MPG higher than actual (where actual is manually tracking gallons used to fill up the car again and miles travelled since last fill-up).

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
240 Posts
I track all my fill-ups in my vehicles with the Fuelly app which I recommend doing, it's fun and interesting (to me) to keep track of those things :)
I live fairly close to my office which is about a 10-15 min drive with a lot of stop lights so mostly "city" driving unless I'm heading up to the mountains for snowboarding.

My current average is 17.1mpg with my best (for a full tank) being 19.2mpg. IMO that is pretty dang good for this type of vehicle! I recently got a new truck (new Silverado, 5.3L V8) and with the same type of driving I'm only getting 12 to 14.5mpg for mostly "city" driving. So the fact that I can drive in a fun way on the F-Pace S and still get way better gas mileage than the truck while babying it is pretty awesome :)

p.s. I completely realize comparing a truck to the jag has so many different variables that affect gas mileage :) But I still compare them haha

Reactions: Sam. and Cat Lady

·
Registered
334 Posts
BTW, for those interested, I've kept stats on 43 fill-ups and, for those, I've found that the dash gauge reports an average of 3.67 MPG higher than actual (where actual is manually tracking gallons used to fill up the car again and miles travelled since last fill-up).
To Clarify: I should mention that my numbers are for the 20d.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts