Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was charged for oil change that I thought should have been for free.

In less than year in a half I have had my car I am over 30'000 miles as of today. Week or so ago I received Email from Jaguar alarming that according to their records I should be hitting 30'000 miles soon and I should schedule a 'FACTORY REQUIRED ANNUAL SERVICE' which I did. I also opted to replace tires since they would not have lasted through the winter for sure. I was talking to one of the sales guys when I was presented with the bill by one of the service managers, since I was in the middle of the conversation and assuming that it's straight up bill for tires I gave my credit card for processing. Before I left I noticed that I got charged for the oil change. I went back to service manager and told him I should be getting free oil changes up to 5 years/50'000 miles whichever comes first.

I could not stay to sort this out but service manager said he will do some research and call me.

After couple voicemails he calls me back and says that that even if I am putting close to 25K annually I am eligible to have only one free oil change annually and that are Jaguar rules, not his rules.

I was wondering if this is true what he said or should I be escalating to National level.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Service is included for 5 years or 60K miles. If you high those milestones earlier due to high mileage I would think they would still be included. It just means you'll only have warranty/service for 3 years. I would push back. Will let others offer their opinions.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have read this before (think it's even in the manual or warranty information provided with the vehicle), that only one service is covered annually under the free plan. I am concerned about this as well, as due to a few road trips this summer I may be getting close to my next service before Jan 1, 2019 turns over, and I'd have to pay out of pocket.

Question for you: The service internals are 16k miles, so you should be due for a second service until 32K, unless you had your first service done early? Mine was done at about 15K miles, so I'm going to push it out to the 31K if I can squeak it into next year.

At any rate, I would check the documentation that came with your vehicle, but I also linked the service information from Jaguar USA's website below. I think they may be right in this case.

https://www.jaguarusa.com/owners/service-warranties/servicing.html

·
Registered
253 Posts
If my SA is correct, you would have paid for that oil change anyway. The service interval is 16,000 mi and you can only do the oil change within +/- 1000mi of that number. So for the 32,000mi oil change you have to have it down from 31,000 to 33,000mi. If you do it outside this window you would have to pay for it unless it fell on an annual schedule instead.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If my SA is correct, you would have paid for that oil change anyway. The service interval is 16,000 mi and you can only do the oil change within +/- 1000mi of that number. So for the 32,000mi oil change you have to have it down from 31,000 to 33,000mi. If you do it outside this window you would have to pay for it unless it fell on an annual schedule instead.
So when I take mine in for 12 month service with say only 600 miles on it will I have to pay for oil change? Because it is not in 15,000-17,000 range?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My understanding as well, one year or 16,000 miles, whichever comes first, just to be clear.
Correct..not 12k miles...

But @Cat Lady; It's still free..as long as you don't go OVER the mileage or time frame.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So when I take mine in for 12 month service with say only 600 miles on it will I have to pay for oil change? Because it is not in 15,000-17,000 range?
No. I had mine changed at the one year mark with only 4500 miles, no charge.

You still qualify for the freebie under the 12 month rule.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
No it will be free because its one year. OR 16000 miles

When I got my first oil change it was one year. I only had 8200 miles

Side note. Why would you have only 600 miles that seems like it might hurt your car. The gas would get water in it, then varnish the fuel line, all the oil would drain to tha pan and get dry at the top of the engine, the belts would dry rot and the tires would get flat spots . Or maybe you drive like 2. miles a day, so then never mind.

DP

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
DP...remember back when Cat Lady was in a horrible accident?...Well it freaked the sh!t out of our poor Lady and she was pretty timid to drive for a while....Understandably

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Dear Mods, I'm sorry. I can not hold my tongue any longer.

DP, this question was clearly answered at least twice before you got here so I can only assume that you responded just for post count or so you can prove how much you know, or just for a chance to take a dig at me about the mileage on my car.

As for your side note...
"Why would you have only 600 miles..."
because until yesterday it had just over 300 miles on it so I'm guessing as to what the mileage will be in December and as for the "Why?"
If you spent more time reading what people have to say rather than flying off half c#@&^% to be the first one to answer questions then you would know the answer to that question as it has been mentioned in multiple posts in the past year+
And if that is bad for my car then I guess that is just something I will have to deal with.

And as for the last post you attempted to call me out on but I managed to bite my tongue when you suggested I make a thread about the paint issues on my F-PACE and again if you had actually been paying attention you would have see that in fact I had made just such a thread back on October 8th.

No it will be free because its one year. OR 16000 miles

When I got my first oil change it was one year. I only had 8200 miles

Side note. Why would you have only 600 miles that seems like it might hurt your car. The gas would get water in it, then varnish the fuel line, all the oil would drain to tha pan and get dry at the top of the engine, the belts would dry rot and the tires would get flat spots . Or maybe you drive like 2. miles a day, so then never mind.

DP

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Dear Mods, I'm sorry. I can not hold my tongue any longer.

DP, this question was clearly answered at least twice before you got here so I can only assume that you responded just for post count or so you can prove how much you know, or just for a chance to take a dig at me about the mileage on my car.

As for your side note...
"Why would you have only 600 miles..."
because until yesterday it had just over 300 miles on it so I'm guessing as to what the mileage will be in December and as for the "Why?"
If you spent more time reading what people have to say rather than flying off half c#@&^% to be the first one to answer questions then you would know the answer to that question as it has been mentioned in multiple posts in the past year+
And if that is bad for my car then I guess that is just something I will have to deal with.

And as for the last post you attempted to call me out on but I managed to bite my tongue when you suggested I make a thread about the paint issues on my F-PACE and again if you had actually been paying attention you would have see that in fact I had made just such a thread back on October 8th.

Ahhh not sure what to say to all that, but since you asked in public forum rather then a private message I’ll try.

Not sure way we don’t have a FAQ thread with all the answers to commonly asked questions.

I read new posts and replay to them as I’m reading them. I am on here a lot so I tend to reply a lot, I don’t think I know it all, most of what I learned I leaned firm here,, so I’m trying it give back. Post count is not important, good quality answers to questions are, Based on what your saying a lot ot these threads should be closed once the answer is found. I’m surprised no one gave the OP a hard time and told them that has been asked and answered like 100 times already, and just do a search.

As to the side note I know you where is accident, I did not know you were not driving you car, I was not sure if you knew the effects of not driving your car. I have had one of my own cars that I did that too it cost me $1000 of dollars to fix back in April of 2017 right before I got my first F-PACE.

As to the paint comment, you posted, I replied, the. Mods have made it clear they want us to stay on topic. I must have missed the paint thread. I’ll look for it. I was trying to help you. I thought there might be more people with paint issues and could help you.

I hope I helped you understand my point of view, if not or if I have done something to upset you feel free to send me a private message because posting in public seems, well not the place for this.

So I would suggest this thread be closed now that the questions have been answered about the oil change.

Thank you for your feedback
DP

·
F Pace Expert
2,650 Posts
Complimentary scheduled maintenance coverage for all new Jaguar models covers factory recommended scheduled maintenance as detailed in the Passport to Service for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. A service interval indicator appears every 16,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever occurs first, to tell you when necessary vehicle maintenance needs to be scheduled. In order to receive scheduled vehicle maintenance, you must bring your vehicle to an authorized Jaguar Retailer within 1 month or 1,000 miles of the scheduled maintenance interval. Customers who do not bring their vehicle to a Retailer within the required time for scheduled maintenance may not receive the missed interval service.

This perpetual topic resurfaces every year or so and richly deserves a strong RTFM. Just talked to my SA about this yesterday. He has had multiple grumpy customer who refuse to read the RTFM and complain when they are charged for out of parameter service. Particularly amusing is flak from customers who didn’t purchase at that dealership.

All luxury brands have similar requirements when they have built in service programs. I think early on things were more relaxed but now, with many more vehicles in the field, Jaguar has required tighter adherence to their clearly stated conditions. I know when I had my last service I had to sign a document acknowledging my understanding of the program’s terms. So, get over it and get with the program or pay for service.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Complimentary scheduled maintenance coverage for all new Jaguar models covers factory recommended scheduled maintenance as detailed in the Passport to Service for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. A service interval indicator appears every 16,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever occurs first, to tell you when necessary vehicle maintenance needs to be scheduled. In order to receive scheduled vehicle maintenance, you must bring your vehicle to an authorized Jaguar Retailer within 1 month or 1,000 miles of the scheduled maintenance interval. Customers who do not bring their vehicle to a Retailer within the required time for scheduled maintenance may not receive the missed interval service.

This perpetual topic resurfaces every year or so and richly deserves a strong RTFM. Just talked to my SA about this yesterday. He has had multiple grumpy customer who refuse to read the RTFM and complain when they are charged for out of parameter service. Particularly amusing is flak from customers who didn’t purchase at that dealership.

All luxury brands have similar requirements when they have built in service programs. I think early on things were more relaxed but now, with many more vehicles in the field, Jaguar has required tighter adherence to their clearly stated conditions. I know when I had my last service I had to sign a document acknowledging my understanding of the program’s terms. So, get over it and get with the program or pay for service.
I am learning that it was my mistake expecting to have a free oil change at 30K and I am waiting for Jaguar NA to confirm it. I would have bought the car with or without free oil-change clause and paying for oil changes is not an issue. What you posted in red is not in the manual - I read the manual before I posted to find out where I went wrong in my assumptions and maintenance schedule was not there. Also mine is diesel and for diesels it's 20K instead of 16K. My next freebe will be at 40K and I am cool with that. What I am not sure is if the service department at my dealership will honor it.

I did not recite entire conversation I had with the service manager but if you look up my original post I outlined that he said I am only eligible for just one complimentary oil service per year - even it would not apply to me I never heard that claim before. Also he was adamant about that I can get complimentary oil change within a month of my annual purchase date, saying that since I purchased my car in July I can only expect free oil change if I schedule maintenance in July only. I said that I log 25K annually I will be hitting 40K in April of 2019, 60K in January of 2020. He replied that I am out of luck for getting complimentary oil change and that is not his decision but those are rules imposed by Jaguar.

Granted it's my fancy car and I should know all the rules beforehand I schedule my service appointments to protect myself for overcharging and what not but in this particular instance service manager was not aware of their programs as well. I would not have posted my original thread and I would not have complained about being charged for the oil change if the service manager was able to explain and/or remind me when to expect complimentary service. We are humans and we make mistakes and this won't be the first and last time I will make a wrong assumption. However I walked away with an impression that from now on I will be paying for every oil change.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you have a diesel Then you only get every 20K UNLESS you rack up 20K in one year or less for some odd reason. I changed mine at home before it went in for it's 1st 10K service at one year. It HAS to go in at one year even if they don't do a THING to it. The 1 year gateway is the only way to the 2nd year free change if you drive say 10 K a year. If you drive say 16K a year then you go in at 1 year and then again as soon as you hit 20K for a freebie. My wife is a 10K a year person so I have scheduled myself to change it myself in the middle on every odd year....

No matter what, Diesels basically get 3 free changes over their warranty period, and petrol ones will get prob 4. IMHO oil doesn't really degrade with time, it degrades with engine hours... If I only did say 5K a year, I wouldn't be afraid to let it go 2+ years easily... The quality of oil JAG uses is a few notches above what you can buy at your local Wally World....

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
ADMIN CAN WE GET A STICKY ON THIS SUBJECT?

As mention above we do get his question a lot can we maybe create a FAQ question area. That are closed threads that have the question then the answer.

We can crate a list and that way we will be a better resource for our NEW ( or older] members

Just a thought.

DP

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
@NewToCats Just for clarification, did you ask for the oil change at the 30K mile service or did they just perform the oil change and charge you? I think this is where I was confused on the initial ask. Given the 20K mile interval for oil changes on the diesel you should get the complementary oil change at 40K given that you paid for this oil change out of the service interval.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yesterday I was charged for oil change that I thought should have been for free.

In less than year in a half I have had my car I am over 30'000 miles as of today. Week or so ago I received Email from Jaguar alarming that according to their records I should be hitting 30'000 miles soon and I should schedule a 'FACTORY REQUIRED ANNUAL SERVICE' which I did. I also opted to replace tires since they would not have lasted through the winter for sure. I was talking to one of the sales guys when I was presented with the bill by one of the service managers, since I was in the middle of the conversation and assuming that it's straight up bill for tires I gave my credit card for processing. Before I left I noticed that I got charged for the oil change. I went back to service manager and told him I should be getting free oil changes up to 5 years/50'000 miles whichever comes first.

I could not stay to sort this out but service manager said he will do some research and call me.

After couple voicemails he calls me back and says that that even if I am putting close to 25K annually I am eligible to have only one free oil change annually and that are Jaguar rules, not his rules.

I was wondering if this is true what he said or should I be escalating to National level.
Surprised the dealer didn't make you aware beforehand that it was not covered.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts