Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us on the forums, it will be great to share any potential problems or "weird sounds" that may occur on your Fpace once you get yours so we can all keep abreast. There will be the inevitable lemon someone will get too. Doesn't mean they're all going to be bad, sometimes things just don't line up right and that particular car will be a real turd (like a 99' Dodge Durango we had...:mad:)

Anyway, sometimes these problems take a long time to show up. I became somewhat of semi-expert on XJ's 1995-2000 as I had to be since I owned 2. There were many problems that showed up across the board that encompassed every part of the car. Through Jag-Lovers Forum, I was able to help many people with their problems and also put the idea of looking out for potential problems to those that hadn't reached the usual "problem mileage" for a particular problem to show up. And in some cases, some cars never developed certain problems that 90% of the rest of them did (I was one of those guys :)). But let's share anything that comes up warranty or not regarding our FPace.

Since the FPace shares the same engine as the F-Type, maybe there hasn't been enough miles yet for those problems to surface. Maybe we'll get lucky and it's the best engine ever. The V8's of the XJ series were a good engine design except for 2 major design flaws. First, the Nikasil disaster which I won't get into here as Jag, (as well as Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc) all learned their lesson about THAT whole thing, and eventually stopped using it. The other was the use of cam-chain tensioners that were of not robust enough build quality. The body of the spring would split at around 40 to 70 thousand miles, and become sloppy. When that happened, it could not contain the cam chain under duress and under hard load would allow the chain to slip, thereby leading to bad things like rods going through the side of the block - ugh! Once the tensioners were fixed and you got a mid 2000 engine or later - a uh...very good engine. The straight 6 of the earlier models was generally good but had cracking header issues in later years.

I believe that there's many other parts shared with the F-Type so hopefully all the bugs (if any) that show up on F-Types that have a lot more miles on them will translate into fixing potential problems as "recalls fixed free of charge". I have read of a few superchargers having to be replaced so there's something to keep an eye on.... all it takes is one part in the assembly to go screwball.

So, let us pray for a quality car with a lot of bugs worked out that hopefully would have shown up already on the F-Types and all the testing in Viking land and the largest catbox in the world - the Middle east (with all that heat). It's nice reading that supposedly all this testing has been done with those extremes so I'm looking forward to our cars being solid in our normal environments.

·
Registered
231 Posts
DSG, have you ever gone to any of the JCNA meet-ups in OR/WA/BC? I do the Victoria/Vancouver and Seattle ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DSG Hello, this is 10 years that I ride in RRS, on the last model I received in 2015, diesel 245cv, I was forced to change the front shock absorbers 2, 3 times to adjust xenon that go awry. .. a turbo air hose that has let go on the highway ...
You see, there is always some risk on a new model, it is necessary to trust his luck ... and builder .. I think JLR is a good builder!
Regards, GT (France)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You guys are worrying me now. I'm a first timer with Jaguar. I am used to Lexus and Acura and their near flawless if somewhat boring execution. I am not used to cars with problems. I've avoided German cars because of their poor reputations for quality.

God help me if my F-Pace turns out to be a problem. I don't think I would be able to take it with just a shrug. It would sour me on the brand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys are worrying me now. I'm a first timer with Jaguar. I am used to Lexus and Acura and their near flawless if somewhat boring execution. I am not used to cars with problems. I've avoided German cars because of their poor reputations for quality.

God help me if my F-Pace turns out to be a problem. I don't think I would be able to take it with just a shrug. It would sour me on the brand.
German cars are on the contrary known for their quality...

Most people believe new models come out with problems - it's not always the case - personally I had very few problems with my Evoque when it just came out (2012) and absolutely none with the Macan (2014)...

I wouldn't worry too much with the F Pace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the factory tour at Solihull UK 2 weeks ago where the F PACE, XE and RR Sport are built on the same production line. It is state of the art robotics with testing down to the micron all along the line with an in depth physical inspection on every car at the end by trained Q&A inspectors so the days of a 'Friday afternoon car' are no longer possible as every car will be exactly the same...

I'm not disputing there will not be any teething issues but car manufacturing is very different to a few years ago in state of the art plants like Jaguar where TaTa have invested billions to mitigate quality problems and increase efficiency and volume
Just my 50 cents

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DSG, have you ever gone to any of the JCNA meet-ups in OR/WA/BC? I do the Victoria/Vancouver and Seattle ones.
No, usually things like that are on weekends, and I'm in the music business so weekends are when I work the most. But thanks for asking :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I wouldn't worry about it too much, we get great warranties with this car. And those who are planning to keep the car for the long haul.... get the extended warranties - absolutely!!! One thing going bad will pay for the warranty cost, and that has proven true time and time again for me.

As far as Lexus, I can tell you the parent company - Toyota - paid for a lot of repairs on my Scion (thank you extended warranty) and as far as Acura, I had a 2004 and a 2008 MDX and they had several things that had to get fixed, but nothing major.

As DAL pointed out, there's a lot more machine building going on, so I think that will sort out some of the problems but that doesn't fix the design flaws, and of course it takes a long time for those to show up on some parts.

Let's just keep a watchful eye on our cars. Mine will be driven very easy, so I don't expect any problems with mine unless my wifes' stoplight grand prix goes fast and furious... :x

·
Registered
231 Posts
And the other side of the coin - i have a first model year Evoque that has never been to the dealership for a single problem... All down to luck for sure. Honestly the Jags I have had have had far fewer visits to the service centre than my other vehicles.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No matter what make or model I buy, I expect to have few problems. Part of a good buying experience is a vehicle that does not require going back to dealer more than a few times for warranty repairs/recalls/defects.
I have had two BMWs in succession with very little repairs for each, although I do not put on significant amounts of mileage and maintain my vehicles in excess of the manufacturer recommended service schedule.
Jaguar is counting on the FP to significantly increase market share. If they are to succeed the vehicle must be reliable from the beginning. Potential customers especially of a luxury vehicle, read reviews and reliability ratings such as Consumer Reports and Edmunds. An above average reliability rating is crucial to market share.
Being a new vehicle is no excuse for poor reliability. With modern and extensive testing, computer testing/monitoring equipment and robotic manufacturing, the vehicle should be reliable from the first one produced.
In addition many of the components are already road tested in the XF so like most vehicles, new is not completely new.
I have had bad experiences with two GM Products and would not even walk into a GM showroom again. They have lost me forever.
On the other hand I have had excellent experiences with Toyota and if I was considering a mid priced vehicle, the Toyota dealer would be my first stop and preferred brand.
This is my first Jaguar. Never thought I would buy one but I am really attracted to the FP and because I have been in the showroom, if I was considering a luxury sedan, would now consider the XF which would never had been on my radar before. If the FP is not reliable it will be a short lived experiment and Jaguar will once again be off my radar. On the other hand if I enjoy the ride and find the vehicle to be reliable, like my BMWs I will be back for more.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you scour the quality stats of the major brands you will notice that there is really not that much difference in the last 5 yrs or so. Quality reports say that somebody is got to be first and somebody has to be last. Car manufacturing has improved tremendously since the nineties and even early 2,000,

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
If you scour the quality stats of the major brands you will notice that there is really not that much difference in the last 5 yrs or so. Quality reports say that somebody is got to be first and somebody has to be last. Car manufacturing has improved tremendously since the nineties and even early 2,000,
Dodge? Really? :laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is my first Jaguar. Never thought I would buy one but I am really attracted to the FP and because I have been in the showroom, if I was considering a luxury sedan, would now consider the XF which would never had been on my radar before. If the FP is not reliable it will be a short lived experiment and Jaguar will once again be off my radar. On the other hand if I enjoy the ride and find the vehicle to be reliable, like my BMWs I will be back for more.
This is exactly where I'm at! I hope this FP meets every expectation because I'm falling in love with the F-TYPE the more I see/hear it. I've always wanted a Porsche so here's your chance to win me Jaguar!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did the factory tour at Solihull UK 2 weeks ago where the F PACE, XE and RR Sport are built on the same production line. It is state of the art robotics with testing down to the micron all along the line with an in depth physical inspection on every car at the end by trained Q&A inspectors so the days of a 'Friday afternoon car' are no longer possible as every car will be exactly the same...

I'm not disputing there will not be any teething issues but car manufacturing is very different to a few years ago in state of the art plants like Jaguar where TaTa have invested billions to mitigate quality problems and increase efficiency and volume
Just my 50 cents
Don't get me wrong...I hope you are right.
Although, if people are buying this car and expect no problems, they are completely wrong.
There is an evolution, I agree...but still quality controls can't do a perfect job.
It's a new model, components come from other models yes, but doesn't mean they will react the same way.
Anyhow...my goal is to only go maximum 5 times to the dealer in the first year. If they manage to do this, I will be really happy. :)
Don't forget ,there will be recalls ! A few !!! For sure
The more cars are on the road and the more people are driving them, the more problems will come up. I really hope we will have only small problems (check engines light for burnt light :) ) and not big ones ( engine , transmission problems).

·
Registered
37 Posts
German cars are on the contrary known for their quality...
Initially, maybe, but most of the people I know (including myself) who drive Audi / BMW / Mercedes have non-trivial issues with their cars out of warranty that are very expensive to fix.

And it does often seem like conspiracy or at the very least the ugliness of planned obsolescence that things generally start to go wrong once the car is at the end of its warranty coverage.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to be uncommon to hear about Lexus and Acura owners whose cars hit 200k miles without anything other than scheduled service and replacement of regular maint items.

I have heard that since Tata has owned JLR that he has very little tolerance for "problems with his cars" but I can only hope that's true. My father has owned two Jaguars. The first was fine but the XF he had did have some issues (or at least one) and I think at that point he got fed up and got rid of it.

Say it like you're Fox Mulder: "I Want To Believe"

·
Registered
231 Posts
German cars are on the contrary known for their quality....
You are being sarcastic, right? If you look at the JD Powers Initial Quality rankings Jaguar comes in well ahead of any of the German brands, with the exception of Porsche.

Please need to get over their mistaken assumptions about Jags based on a few years of bad runs in the 80s/90s due to a (well documented) bad supplier. I honestly believe part of the reason for the mistakes overblowing of the quality issues with Jaguars is a sense of envious Schadenfreude on the part of those who envied their looks but couldn't afford one (back before they became more obtainable).

Anyone who has owned jags in the last 15 years knows that their reliability and quality is excellent.

Per JD Powers:

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
This will be my 2nd Jag and my positive experience with my 1st (2010 XF) and the 5 year coverage, helped me get over concerns about buying a new model. The XF hasn't needed anything but scheduled maintainence. I also have the 2007 Acura MDX which was first year of that generation. Bought the extended warranty due to the newness of the technology and needed it but still love to drive this SUV. Hoping the F-Pace will be a good mix of the XF and MDX to go down to one vehicle.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts