Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some are still trying to sort out the current software, but do you all think JLR will incorporate the new features of the MY18 F-Pace in the next update?
I'm thinking that possibly that's why we haven't seen 3.0 yet. Maybe waiting for the deliveries to start and then they'll update us to current specs? Hoping that might be the case.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I know some are still trying to sort out the current software, but do you all think JLR will incorporate the new features of the MY18 F-Pace in the next update?
I'm thinking that possibly that's why we haven't seen 3.0 yet. Maybe waiting for the deliveries to start and then they'll update us to current specs? Hoping that might be the case.
I think its possible we will get some updates, but I doubt there will be new safety features introduced if thats what you mean.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree as additional hardware would be required.
JLR says that surround camera system is required, so that's why I think it might be a software update only, no other hardware involved, as long as you have the camera. (Driver Assistance Package)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I just dont see them adding additional features to an already sold car for free... even if it is possible. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me from a business standpoint.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Don't we already have this on some 2017's?

·
Registered
337 Posts
seems like a feature they'd add via sw update since it only needs the camera to work, but who knows. still waiting on android auto too

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't we already have this on some 2017's?
There is REAR traffic detection standard on 2017 R and S, and the Premium and Prestige that have the vision package. Great feature when backing out of a parking spot.

For 2018, with the surround camera system (Driver Assistance Package) they have added an equivalent system for the front of the car:

1. Forward Traffic Detection, part of the optional surround camera system, is designed to assist when forward visibility is restricted. Using a discreet forward-facing camera in the grille and corner radars, the system detects items crossing the path of the vehicle and provides a visual warning on the central screen when a potential hazard is detected.

Also added:
2. Forward Vehicle Guidance, also fitted as part of the available Surround Camera System, helps drivers direct the vehicle when completing low speed maneuvers. Working in conjunction with the front parking sensors the system provides a visual representation of the vehicle overlaid with wheel projections showing the alignment of the steering. Drivers can see the parking distance reading on the central screen, taking the stress out of tight maneuvers.

Sounds like the equivalent of the rear camera overlay. The ability to actually read the distance from the front of the car to the obstacle would be a great thing to have, IMHO.
It there is no extra hardware required (big if), it would make sense to upgrade the software for safety reasons.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just dont see them adding additional features to an already sold car for free... even if it is possible. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me from a business standpoint.
Agreed. Tesla are leading the way in over-the-air updates including additional features -Auto Pilot was an OTA upgrade. However, I don't see the 'traditional' car manufacturers following suit any time soon. Eventually, I think they'll have no option as more and more do it, but they'll resist as long as possible; why else would you buy that car three years down the road?
That said, the ICTP is still pretty clunky. They should update that and even roll out Apple CarPlay / Andriod Auto to replace that rediculous connected Apps thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts