Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my region got the usual snow/rain/ice/sleet mix and I got to play around with my F Pace S on the roads and in some empty unplowed parking lots. I think it's hugely important for owners to learn the limits of their cars in relatively controlled environments so they don't end up in a ditch or drive like a jack ass with their hazard lights on because they're scared to go up a hill. I've been fortunate enough to enjoyed off-road driving in a variety of conditions and a variety of vehicles (mainly Land Rovers- both analog and more modern) and have taken the Team O'Neil Rally School up in New Hampshire so I know a little bit about driving on loose surfaces.

Anyhow, here are the observations on my F Pace S. 3-6 inches of snow, heavy slush layer, some ice and wet pavement on the road surface.

Tires: No issues with the Goodyears. Felt they had decent grip and traction loss was fairly progressive. Curious as to how they'll perform in deeper snow and in mud and sand.

Bodywork: Was a little surprised my front lower air dam caught some bigger drifts and berms, we really didn't get that much snowfall. A bit disappointed in how much snow collected in the wheel wells. I wonder if that will be an issue in a more prolonged snow drive.

Drivetrain: Tried out all the drive modes (except ECO, that's just nonsense). The snow/ice adaptive mode felt fine. Excellent traction, while I know the throttle was dulled to prevent wheelspin, it still felt reasonably responsive. Brakes maintained progressiveness and I was able to modulate and threshhold brake right to the edge of ABS activitation with little trouble. Dynamic mode still provided plenty of grip, and even when I intentionally ham fisted the throttle the traction control kicked in quickly and the car kept it's attitude relative to where I wanted to go. Normal mode was normal mode. Good traction, decent response. I hindsight I realized I forgot to test manual shift mode- I'm hoping that if I can keep the engine higher in the rev range I may be able to upset the balance of the car easier, however I suspect the traction control will still kick in pretty quickly and modulate power to the wheels regardless of how high in the rev range I am.

Electronics: Very disappointed that the DSC off button doesn't really do anything. Once you get the car to start sliding the DSC starts right back in. The computer also doesn't like left foot braking to transfer weight and kicks it back on too. I think you'll need to pull a fuse or really power on it to get the tail to swing around in this thing. The low friction launch and ASPC worked a treat as well. LFL seems to really find whatever available traction there might be and pulls away smoothing. ASPC worked a treat as well, just steer and let the car figure out how to maintain that speed.

Misc: It's readily apparent Land Rover had a huge hand in developing these systems for Jag. The way they adapt the vehicle systems and how they manage traction and drivetrain response is remarkbly similar to what you'd find in a RR Sport or LR3/4. The only difference I'd imagine is that LR has a greater breadth of programming built into their systems (sand, mud/rut modes, etc.) and a more controlled application of forces while the Jag maintains just a touch more dynamic responses. I'm definitely eager to experiment some more on how the vehicle reacts and to try it out in other off-road situations.

0:)

·
Registered
392 Posts
good review. Thanks

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
So my region got the usual snow/rain/ice/sleet mix and I got to play around with my F Pace S on the roads and in some empty unplowed parking lots. I think it's hugely important for owners to learn the limits of their cars in relatively controlled environments so they don't end up in a ditch or drive like a jack ass with their hazard lights on because they're scared to go up a hill. I've been fortunate enough to enjoyed off-road driving in a variety of conditions and a variety of vehicles (mainly Land Rovers- both analog and more modern) and have taken the Team O'Neil Rally School up in New Hampshire so I know a little bit about driving on loose surfaces.

Anyhow, here are the observations on my F Pace S. 3-6 inches of snow, heavy slush layer, some ice and wet pavement on the road surface.

Tires: No issues with the Goodyears. Felt they had decent grip and traction loss was fairly progressive. Curious as to how they'll perform in deeper snow and in mud and sand.

Bodywork: Was a little surprised my front lower air dam caught some bigger drifts and berms, we really didn't get that much snowfall. A bit disappointed in how much snow collected in the wheel wells. I wonder if that will be an issue in a more prolonged snow drive.

Drivetrain: Tried out all the drive modes (except ECO, that's just nonsense). The snow/ice adaptive mode felt fine. Excellent traction, while I know the throttle was dulled to prevent wheelspin, it still felt reasonably responsive. Brakes maintained progressiveness and I was able to modulate and threshhold brake right to the edge of ABS activitation with little trouble. Dynamic mode still provided plenty of grip, and even when I intentionally ham fisted the throttle the traction control kicked in quickly and the car kept it's attitude relative to where I wanted to go. Normal mode was normal mode. Good traction, decent response. I hindsight I realized I forgot to test manual shift mode- I'm hoping that if I can keep the engine higher in the rev range I may be able to upset the balance of the car easier, however I suspect the traction control will still kick in pretty quickly and modulate power to the wheels regardless of how high in the rev range I am.

Electronics: Very disappointed that the DSC off button doesn't really do anything. Once you get the car to start sliding the DSC starts right back in. The computer also doesn't like left foot braking to transfer weight and kicks it back on too. I think you'll need to pull a fuse or really power on it to get the tail to swing around in this thing. The low friction launch and ASPC worked a treat as well. LFL seems to really find whatever available traction there might be and pulls away smoothing. ASPC worked a treat as well, just steer and let the car figure out how to maintain that speed.

Misc: It's readily apparent Land Rover had a huge hand in developing these systems for Jag. The way they adapt the vehicle systems and how they manage traction and drivetrain response is remarkbly similar to what you'd find in a RR Sport or LR3/4. The only difference I'd imagine is that LR has a greater breadth of programming built into their systems (sand, mud/rut modes, etc.) and a more controlled application of forces while the Jag maintains just a touch more dynamic responses. I'm definitely eager to experiment some more on how the vehicle reacts and to try it out in other off-road situations.

0:)
Hm, when I turn traction control off the car definitely gets to spinning. Good review otherwise and I agree with you on the goodyear 20s, they do pretty good for an AS tire and the car as a whole does great when using the paddle shifters to modulate power, if you ever need to do a quick stop in snow/ice I immediately switch to the paddles.

·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
Wheel well snow and slush collection no worse than any other SUV I've had even on long snow drives.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
what is your region?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Wheel well snow and slush collection no worse than any other SUV I've had even on long snow drives.

I've got felt liners in my Jeep too and they suck..collecting snow and hard pan Ice when it's really cold out in the wheel wells. Heated garage is about the only remedy since rear fenders are so flimsy....
I understand they use these to deflect sound and keep road noise down, But I'd really rather see normal hard and substantial plastic that is easy to hose out in there.....

But the rest of that report is encouraging to hear..I suspected it would be good, and glad to hear its meeting/exceeding expectations....:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good review. The only 2 things I can add to that is that once snow begins to collect on the windshield where the wipers don't clear it, I get a message that the autonomous braking is disabled because the camera is blocked. Also, the vehicle proximity alarm goes crazy when I start out and there's snow on the car, apparently covering a sensor somewhere. Not a huge problem, just an observation. It snowed about 14" here today and I'm extremely happy with the way my F-Pace and Pirelli Scorpions performed. I've owned 4 4-wheel-drive trucks and 4 Grand Cherokees and I can confidently say the F-Pace does a tremendous job in bad weather.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I could not disagree more. I got stuck today exiting my driveway. We had a blizzard here in NY and about 16" of snow. The F Pace R Sport pushed me down a few feet and got stuck at the base of the driveway where it was about 1-2" of slush / snow. I tried every setting with no luck. I finally used a shovel and snowblower to completely clear the area around the car. The tires on this car were the Eagle 20" and they are absolutely useless. Next year I will definitely invest in winter tires. Seriously, the Eagle's are useless.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Roverdude, I also managed to do some playing out there today in about 6 inches of heavy snow and what I'd call pellet ice. Car handled very well, although I doubt I pushed or tested it as well as you did. I have Pirelli Scorpion Winters on my 22s right now and I was very impressed by them. After playing in a few parking lots with my older boys, we took off to a sledding hill for some gravity driving for my youngest and 2 of his friends. Well I guess we really went to the sledding hill for all of us to do some gravity sliding. The hill was about 200 yards down which was a blast. The climb back up 200 yards was no fun with the crust 6 inch deep snow. My 57 year old body is telling me I need to sleep now!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
*FYI*
I don't know if they SALT the roads when it snows where any of you all are playing around , but I would HIGHLY SUGGEST that you NOT wait *5-weeks* before WASHING your F-Paces !!! :eek: >:) :laugh:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Good review. The only 2 things I can add to that is that once snow begins to collect on the windshield where the wipers don't clear it, I get a message that the autonomous braking is disabled because the camera is blocked. Also, the vehicle proximity alarm goes crazy when I start out and there's snow on the car, apparently covering a sensor somewhere. Not a huge problem, just an observation. It snowed about 14" here today and I'm extremely happy with the way my F-Pace and Pirelli Scorpions performed. I've owned 4 4-wheel-drive trucks and 4 Grand Cherokees and I can confidently say the F-Pace does a tremendous job in bad weather.
Im not sure how the camera would be blocked because the windshield wipers go over the AEB braking camera along with the LKA cameras? The sensor issue happens with any car that has proximity sensors, if something is blocking it they will not work correctly.

·
Registered
936 Posts
FYI...in some places in the US during the winter, roads are salted nearly every day. I don't know why it's hard for some of the people on here to understand that. You would think if you could afford a $65k car, you wouldn't be completely retarded, but then again maybe not.

·
Registered
494 Posts
They love salt in Toronto. And sprinkle it on everything...like salt ;)

And this year they have really taken to using brine instead of the solids.

Our poor vehicles....:(

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is a great review for those of us that live in snowy climates. Although the All-seasons seemed to fair pretty well in your tests, I usually run snow tires on all of my cars, and am keeping my "winter wheels" from my current Volvo for my future F-Pace. From what I've gathered here, snow tires on this AWD system should be a pretty formidable combination.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Roverdude, I also managed to do some playing out there today in about 6 inches of heavy snow and what I'd call pellet ice. Car handled very well, although I doubt I pushed or tested it as well as you did. I have Pirelli Scorpion Winters on my 22s right now and I was very impressed by them. After playing in a few parking lots with my older boys, we took off to a sledding hill for some gravity driving for my youngest and 2 of his friends. Well I guess we really went to the sledding hill for all of us to do some gravity sliding. The hill was about 200 yards down which was a blast. The climb back up 200 yards was no fun with the crust 6 inch deep snow. My 57 year old body is telling me I need to sleep now!
Your F-Pace looks like it is moving fast even though it is parked. How is it that it is so clean in the middle of all that snow?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well it sounds like from here and other posts, living in Denver, I should look to get rid of the stock Eagle AS and replace them with either a better more aggressive AS or a Winter. If I go with a Winter, that means I need to also get a Summer, augh not looking forward to this expense!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
One very good tire that is actually all WEATHER and not all season is the Nokian WRG3. It gets very high marks for both highway use, with a slant on better winter performance. It doesn't come in 255-50's but it does come in 265-50's and they very well may work.... I'm going to look into them if I hate the Goodyears pretty quickly....

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
GRVR, they salt the roads like crazy here. Brine put down, then salt itself. My F-Pace was not too covered in the pic above, but today after my drive into the office on the Pa Turnpike, it's pretty much mostly white in the front and behind the wheels down the sides, the back also has a crusty layer of salt on it as well! The only fairly clean part is the sunroof!

As for washing it, I will use a coin operated power sprayer at some point to get most of the salt off, and then a nice warm bucket wash at home if and when it warms up and this crap melts, but it seems like that may not be for the next two or three weeks looking at the weather reports. Below freezing every night for the next 2 weeks. What give's where's spring? Doesn't spring start in about a week?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well it sounds like from here and other posts, living in Denver, I should look to get rid of the stock Eagle AS and replace them with either a better more aggressive AS or a Winter. If I go with a Winter, that means I need to also get a Summer, augh not looking forward to this expense!
The expen$e will suck mucho, but think about how sticky an ultra-high performance summer tire would be on these things!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is my post from the Wiper thread, but it affects snow driving so I'll post it here:

This wiper design is a real problem. As I was driving snow built up under the wiper blades eventually blocking the washer jet nozzles. Defrost and windshield heater did not reach down low enough to melt the ice/snow from in front of the washer jets. On salted roads with no washer jets, you very quickly cant see out the window.

The wiper blades in the rest position lock the snow/ice in place blocking the jets. Had to pull over do the procedure (to temporarily hold the wiper in the service position), clear the snow out from in front of the jets. Ridiculous!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts