Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies and Gents, Just turned 4000 miles on our 2.0 diesel. The first DEF warning to show up was in the information panel, just text that sat on the screen for a few seconds, indicating DEF fluid was running low. I'm not sure how long that message has been showing up, I had not noticed it before today, but could have missed it previously.

The manual says there would be an amber message when "low", and a red message when it was "critically low". Neither of those indications yet. But I saw some DEF fluid at Home Depot that met the required specs, so I bought it. 2.5 gallons for 12 bucks.

I know the capacity of the DEF tank is roughly 4.5 gallons, and the manual says the tank should last about 5k miles. So, I reasoned that, with 4k miles on the odometer, I had probably used between 3.5 and 4 gallons of DEF, so it should be able to take the whole 2.5 gallon container, which it did.

I checked the "service interval" screen before filling the DEF and it said I had 1200 miles left before the DEF was exhausted. After adding the 2.5 gallons, it said 4660 miles to go, so that almost brought it back to full (it said 5000 miles when we first picked it up).

I thought this might be helpful information to anyone who is new to diesels (like me), as I've been worried about the DEF.

·
Registered
254 Posts
DEF = Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

It is used in the aftertreatment system that reduces NOx (oxides of nitrogen) emissions. It is strictly a diesel engine thing.

Kerry

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Hi Ladies and Gents, Just turned 4000 miles on our 2.0 diesel. The first DEF warning to show up was in the information panel, just text that sat on the screen for a few seconds, indicating DEF fluid was running low. I'm not sure how long that message has been showing up, I had not noticed it before today, but could have missed it previously.

The manual says there would be an amber message when "low", and a red message when it was "critically low". Neither of those indications yet. But I saw some DEF fluid at Home Depot that met the required specs, so I bought it. 2.5 gallons for 12 bucks.

I know the capacity of the DEF tank is roughly 4.5 gallons, and the manual says the tank should last about 5k miles. So, I reasoned that, with 4k miles on the odometer, I had probably used between 3.5 and 4 gallons of DEF, so it should be able to take the whole 2.5 gallon container, which it did.

I checked the "service interval" screen before filling the DEF and it said I had 1200 miles left before the DEF was exhausted. After adding the 2.5 gallons, it said 4660 miles to go, so that almost brought it back to full (it said 5000 miles when we first picked it up).

I thought this might be helpful information to anyone who is new to diesels (like me), as I've been worried about the DEF.
Happy I only have to worry about gas and windshield washer fluid ;)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Thanks for the info. I was in Walmart the other day, and noticed they had it in 1 gallon and 2 gallon containers. I bought one gallon to keep on hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My family owns a gas station and we just built a few new diesel dispensers. The new diesel dispensers also have a blue DEF nozzle. So keep an eye out for them. I don't think many places have them yet, but they should start getting more popular soon. Also- it's A LOT cheaper at $2.69 per DEF gallon.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
So DEF is something that needs to be added to the car in addition to diesel fuel? The car has a separate DEF tank?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So DEF is something that needs to be added to the car in addition to diesel fuel? The car has a separate DEF tank?
Yup, its just to the left of the gas filler cap (in the picture, gas filler cap removed). On gas engine cars, I think the DEF filler hole is just plugged. Filling it is just like filling windshield washer fluid, only neater because the DEF container's hose fits inside the filler hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My family owns a gas station and we just built a few new diesel dispensers. The new diesel dispensers also have a blue DEF nozzle. So keep an eye out for them. I don't think many places have them yet, but they should start getting more popular soon. Also- it's A LOT cheaper at $2.69 per DEF gallon.
I read somewhere in forum that JLR does not recommend filling DEF from service station or truck stop pumps ( too much pressure??).
I guess you could fill your own container, and fill your vehicle at home :|

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read somewhere in forum that JLR does not recommend filling DEF from service station or truck stop pumps ( too much pressure??).
I guess you could fill your own container, and fill your vehicle at home :|

P 234 of the owners manuel

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Riddle me this, Batman: The diesel tank is 15.9 gallons, the DEF tank is 4.5 gallons, why is the petrol tank only 16.6 gallons? The tanks must be next to each other, or in close proximity as they are filled from basically the same point; it seems the space taken up by the DEF tank could have been used to increase the petrol capacity to 20 gallons... hmmmmm...

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Riddle me this, Batman: The diesel tank is 15.9 gallons, the DEF tank is 4.5 gallons, why is the petrol tank only 16.6 gallons? The tanks must be next to each other, or in close proximity as they are filled from basically the same point; it seems the space taken up by the DEF tank could have been used to increase the petrol capacity to 20 gallons... hmmmmm...
SECONDED :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear tvn300,
Thanks for the DEF capacity. I just took delivery of my 2017 F-Pace 2.0 and have in the last two weeks put 1100 miles on it. I'm driving to San Francisco in two weeks and then driving to Chicago at the end of April and back to Portland, Oregon.

I purchased two gallons and will take them with me on our trips.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
That really isn't the kind of stuff to haul around with you.. you can pick some up practically anywhere on your trip and add it in less than 5 min....
If that accidently spilled in your car, you would not be happy!

Reactions: MTGRL and GRVR

·
Registered
97 Posts
First DEF add at 4,300 miles. Adding the fluid was a breeze and went exactly as the Jaguar how to video.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Did you use PEAK or Wal mart DEF 2.5 Gal? or JAG supplied DEF? I'm just wondering if they have incorporated special filler nozzle like BMW has, or any normal DEF plastic filler spout with fit and fill... ( Hope so....)

·
Registered
589 Posts
... I'm just wondering if they have incorporated special filler nozzle like BMW has, or any normal DEF plastic filler spout with fit and fill... ( Hope so....)
Your car will come with a small funnel for the DEF. Haven't had to do a fill yet so not sure if the funnel is essential.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts