Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of thinking about it, I finally went and test drove an F Pace S. I currently have a 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK 350.

1. The exterior is fantastic. It's a sexy car. We all know that already.

2. The interior is a let down. I don't want a black or 2-tone seats, so brogue is my only option, and the brown leather against the grayish black console and hard plastics throughout don't feel luxurious. The leather feels really thin...really, really thin, and in a car with 109 miles, it already looked prematurely worn with wrinkles in it. It does not look like $70,000 car. My girlfriend's $45k X1 is about the same level of refinement on the interior.

3. The infotainment seemed to work well. No lag, bright, looks nice. No issues. The music/speakers were just ok. Compared to the new Burmeister system in the Benz and the Bowers and Wilkins in the Volvo, it's just adequate. I didn't get to play around with the safety features. The steering wheel has a ton of buttons on it. The cooled seat option works really well. The seats overall were comfortable, but I couldn't find a comfortable position for my arm. The arm rests are kind of low, even with my seat at it's lowest position. I am 6'2.

4. Driving - awesome. I did get some body roll on a curvy mountain road where we test drove, but not bad. The throttle response is great. I did get some lag between 20mph and 50mph on an onramp, but after that? ****, it felt nice. Deceptively quick. Road noise was a little worse than my Benz, but still very quiet inside. I drove on the 20 inch rims - wouldn't take the 22s - there's no way I'd drive those on a dirt road, much less a Jeep trail with rocks and ruts.

Overall, it's kind of how I expected it to be. Fun to drive, beautiful on the outside, underwhelming and even a little cheap looking/feeling on the inside. I'd like a car that checks ALL of my boxes for less than $70k, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. My girlfriend loved the exterior but admitted that she thought the inside was plain and not indicative of such an expensive vehicle. She loved the Volvo XC90 interior, as did I. The Volvo interior is stunning compared to the F Pace, and the cargo room is great. The infotainment system seemed a bit nicer, too, and of course you have the air suspension where you can raise the vehicle 2 inches while off roading. We didn't drive the Volvo, but I would like to soon. On the way home we stopped the MB dealership and sat in the GLC43. Stunning interior. The exterior is one notch below the F Pace, but still very nice. Overall, it's a beautiful car, just on the small side. I plan to go drive the GLC43 and the Volvo and try to cross one off my list. I think its going to be tough because each car offers things I like, and each has its own drawback(s).

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
After months of thinking about it, I finally went and test drove an F Pace S. I currently have a 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK 350.

1. The exterior is fantastic. It's a sexy car. We all know that already.

2. The interior is a let down. I don't want a black or 2-tone seats, so brogue is my only option, and the brown leather against the grayish black console and hard plastics throughout don't feel luxurious. The leather feels really thin...really, really thin, and in a car with 109 miles, it already looked prematurely worn with wrinkles in it. It does not look like $70,000 car. My girlfriend's $45k X1 is about the same level of refinement on the interior.

3. The infotainment seemed to work well. No lag, bright, looks nice. No issues. The music/speakers were just ok. Compared to the new Burmeister system in the Benz and the Bowers and Wilkins in the Volvo, it's just adequate. I didn't get to play around with the safety features. The steering wheel has a ton of buttons on it. The cooled seat option works really well. The seats overall were comfortable, but I couldn't find a comfortable position for my arm. The arm rests are kind of low, even with my seat at it's lowest position. I am 6'2.

4. Driving - awesome. I did get some body roll on a curvy mountain road where we test drove, but not bad. The throttle response is great. I did get some lag between 20mph and 50mph on an onramp, but after that? ****, it felt nice. Deceptively quick. Road noise was a little worse than my Benz, but still very quiet inside. I drove on the 20 inch rims - wouldn't take the 22s - there's no way I'd drive those on a dirt road, much less a Jeep trail with rocks and ruts.

Overall, it's kind of how I expected it to be. Fun to drive, beautiful on the outside, underwhelming and even a little cheap looking/feeling on the inside. I'd like a car that checks ALL of my boxes for less than $70k, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. My girlfriend loved the exterior but admitted that she thought the inside was plain and not indicative of such an expensive vehicle. She loved the Volvo XC90 interior, as did I. The Volvo interior is stunning compared to the F Pace, and the cargo room is great. The infotainment system seemed a bit nicer, too, and of course you have the air suspension where you can raise the vehicle 2 inches while off roading. We didn't drive the Volvo, but I would like to soon. On the way home we stopped the MB dealership and sat in the GLC43. Stunning interior. The exterior is one notch below the F Pace, but still very nice. Overall, it's a beautiful car, just on the small side. I plan to go drive the GLC43 and the Volvo and try to cross one off my list. I think its going to be tough because each car offers things I like, and each has its own drawback(s).
Totally agree, the interior is a total let down below the belt line. But the dash is soft touch, and everything on the door, besides the bins, are soft touch as well, and I am tall but I have found it very comfortable to rest my arm on the upper portion of the door (by the window switch). The interior has grown on me but I agree with you on the seats, very poor quality leather.

Im guessing you were in a vehicle NOT equipped with ICTP because the upgraded system is fantastic, perfect volume for me between 20/30. One thing I am confused about is Lag you mentioned, I am guessing this is because the transmission maybe did not down shift quick enough for you because superchargers create no lag (unlike turbos)... Ive found the transmission to be extraordinary in Dynamic mode, and works like it should in normal and ECO (ZF transmissions are as good as it gets when it comes to an 8-speed transmission).

Overall from your post im guessing the interior is the only thing holding you back... For me the seats and the cheap plastics below belt line are really the only negatives but if you can get passed that I think you would really enjoy this car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This car had ICTP. The clarity of the music wasn't as good as I expected. Then again, I upgraded in my current car to fantastic Infinity speakers all around, amplified, and a 10-inch JL Audio subwoofer. I have a pretty critical ear for audio systems, and I thought the low end sounded a little muddy. Perhaps with some tweaking it would improve (is there an equalizer on the F Pace? The Volvo had a 10-band equalizer). Maybe it wasnt lag that I felt. The F Pace certainly shifts quicker and at more appropriate intervals than my GLK, but I didn't feel the surge in acceleration until a few seconds after flooring it at the start of the onramp. I am not complaining about the driving characteristics - loved the test drive. Just want to feel like I'm in a $70,000 car when I am inside. Call me vane, but I want my passengers to be like "Holy crap, this car is nice" when they get inside.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
This car had ICTP. The clarity of the music wasn't as good as I expected. Then again, I upgraded in my current car to fantastic Infinity speakers all around, amplified, and a 10-inch JL Audio subwoofer. I have a pretty critical ear for audio systems, and I thought the low end sounded a little muddy. Perhaps with some tweaking it would improve (is there an equalizer on the F Pace? The Volvo had a 10-band equalizer). Maybe it wasnt lag that I felt. The F Pace certainly shifts quicker and at more appropriate intervals than my GLK, but I didn't feel the surge in acceleration until a few seconds after flooring it at the start of the onramp. I am not complaining about the driving characteristics - loved the test drive. Just want to feel like I'm in a $70,000 car when I am inside. Call me vane, but I want my passengers to be like "Holy crap, this car is nice" when they get inside.
Ah well for sound system virgins like myself who just sticks with the sound system that the car comes with I think the F-pace sounds great haha. Not sure what you were feeling, I mean it does take fractions of seconds for the car to respond to throttle input but im sure it was the transmission downshifting to a lower gear that you felt.

And trust me, when your passengers see the car I think they will be impressed, everyone thats been in my F-pace (a select few because I treat it as a privilege to sit in the cat >:)) have been impressed and have had nothing but great things to say about it, especially at night with the ambient lighting and panoramic roof. Unless your passengers really inspect the interior and start feeling around they won't be able to tell as even the hard plastics look higher end.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sorry, but I disagree with your opinion about the interior. The MB interior is nice but OLD looking. It's like an antique, and I don't like antiques. The beautiful F-Pace interior is what I describe as modern, uncluttered minimalist with a focus on technology instead of old-fashioned round air vents, buttons everywhere, and dated wood trim. You and I would also probably disagree on art and the style of home architecture we each prefer. Different strokes for different folks. As for throttle response, I don't feel any lag in Dynamic mode and "S." Finally, why would you compare 5-seater SUVs to a 7-seater SUV like the XC90? That doesn't make any sense. The 7-seater is aimed at a completely different market.

Perhaps the diminutive Porsche Macan would be more to your liking.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I looked at the GLC300, GLC43, Porsche Macan, and F-Pace. I never went to look at the Volvo XC60/90 or Audi Q5 because the exteriors were just too boring especially compared to the F-Pace. I wanted something different. The GLC300/43 kind of were the same with the GLC43 being a little more sporty. The interior was nice but I didn't like the display sticking up on top of the dash. So it came down to the Macan and the F-Pace. I really liked the interior of the Macan as compared with the F-Pace but it was just too small and I liked the exterior of the F-Pace too much. Now that I have had the F-Pace for a few months I am so glad I picked it. The interior has really grown on me. The Macan had a little better fit and finish but the F-Pace is definitely more modern especially with the ICTP and I like the clean simple look. I have had a lot of positive comments about how nice the interior looks from others that have seen it. As for the sound system I think it is hard to get a good assessment on a test drive. You need to dial it in and have a good source to really appreciate the sound. I have found that when I use high quality source with the Meridian 825 watt system it really brings it to life.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
#1 - Just want to feel like I'm in a $70,000 car when I am inside.

#2 - I want my passengers to be like "Holy crap, this car is nice" when they get inside.

#1 - Trust me , when you go rolling down the street or you pull into a parking lot , and people start giving themselves whiplash just trying to get a LOOKSY at your AWESOME RIDE , and start giving you the Thumbs Up , or coming over to you to ask you questions . . . . . Forget $70K , because You will FEEL like you are in a $150,000 car !!! :D

#2 - You know why I am not too overly concerned with peoples impression of the "inside" , because , the PAY OFF has already occurred , when they can't even get close enough to it upon first seeing it , without saying "HOLY CRAP , this car is NICE" !!! >:)

Reactions: Okie

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You've been posting here for 7 months and are just now test driving it?
To be fair he only has 28 posts... there are some people that have hundreds and only post when they have something negative to say about the F-pace.

Reactions: MTGRL and DPK

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are always tradeoffs, I don't think you will find something that 100% hits all your check boxes. For me, driving perfomance and exterior styling were the top 2 on my list and the Fpace hit both for me. The interior wasnt as nice as some others I test drove, but it is nice enough.

I think the volvo lacks in driving performance, and the Mercedes lacks in exterior styling.

But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Observation on sound system with ICTP; settings make a big difference. You might want to stop by dealer, with a music usb or your phone and just sit in vehicle and mess with settings for sound; dolby vs meridian vs stereo give very different experiences as do some added tweaks like sound center position. Also worth spending time just twiddling with ICTP.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
There are always tradeoffs, I don't think you will find something that 100% hits all your check boxes. For me, driving perfomance and exterior styling were the top 2 on my list and the Fpace hit both for me. The interior wasnt as nice as some others I test drove, but it is nice enough.

I think the volvo lacks in driving performance, and the Mercedes lacks in exterior styling.

But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The GLC is flat out PLAIN-LOOKING. I parked right next to one at my local hardware store yesterday. It was a gorgeous sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. My Caesium Blue FE, gleaming under its Ceramic Pro finish, sitting on kick-a$$ gun-metal grey and black Double Helix 22s, right next to a plain black GLC. While waiting in line inside the store (I could see the two cars), I watched people arrive and leave. You should've seen the stares. No one bothered to stop and gape at the GLC. It looked like a non-descript Honda next to the F-Pace.

·
Registered
265 Posts
[
Observation on sound system with ICTP; settings make a big difference. You might want to stop by dealer, with a music usb or your phone and just sit in vehicle and mess with settings for sound; dolby vs meridian vs stereo give very different experiences as do some added tweaks like sound center position. Also worth spending time just twiddling with ICTP.
I couldn't agree more with this. In addition to settings your music source also has a big impact. Since adjusting my settings and switching to a lossless streaming service i have been very happy with the system.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You did not tell us what model you drove. Did you drive an S or at the very least, an R-Sport (both of those have the leather dash that helps remove at least that plasticy component).

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The GLC is flat out PLAIN-LOOKING. I parked right next to one at my local hardware store yesterday. It was a gorgeous sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. My Caesium Blue FE, gleaming under its Ceramic Pro finish, sitting on kick-a$$ gun-metal grey and black Double Helix 22s, right next to a plain black GLC. While waiting in line inside the store (I could see the two cars), I watched people arrive and leave. You should've seen the stares. No one bothered to stop and gape at the GLC. It looked like a non-descript Honda next to the F-Pace.
Hm, definitely disagree. The GLC compared to the F-pace is very conservative but is still attractive. Definitely not as attractive as a FE F-pace but it still looks good, comparing it to a honda is a bit much I think haha. And the GLC 43 definitely has its good angles but is still conservative. Style and design language is completely subjective, im sure there are people that dislike the F-pace (much fewer than those that dislike, lets say, the new Lexus RX) but im sure there are some out there.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hm, definitely disagree. The GLC compared to the F-pace is very conservative but is still attractive. Definitely not as attractive as a FE F-pace but it still looks good, comparing it to a honda is a bit much I think haha. And the GLC 43 definitely has its good angles but is still conservative. Style and design language is completely subjective, im sure there are people that dislike the F-pace (much fewer than those that dislike, lets say, the new Lexus RX) but im sure there are some out there.
This was a plain black GLC 300. It looked like a nondescript Honda. A Kia looks more attractive on the outside than a GLC. Perhaps a GLC 43 looks better, but I'm not impressed at all with what I've seen of the GLC so far.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You must have missed the part where I said the GLC43looks great. It does. Especially in the designo cardinal red color with saddle leather interior. No one said anythin about the GLC300. You're comparing a $75,000 vehicle to a $44,000 vehicle. Try again. The GLC43 is flying off the lot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You did not tell us what model you drove. Did you drive an S or at the very least, an R-Sport (both of those have the leather dash that helps remove at least that plasticy component).
I drove an S,loaded. The iinterior is super boring, in my opinion. I haven't ruled the F Pace out yet, but I'm going to go test drive the Volvo Xc90 and see if I like it. I just want a car that looks good inside and out.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
This was a plain black GLC 300. It looked like a nondescript Honda. A Kia looks more attractive on the outside than a GLC. Perhaps a GLC 43 looks better, but I'm not impressed at all with what I've seen of the GLC so far.
Oh well that plain jane GLC 300 had no chance ;)
That isn't even fair haha

1 - 20 of 59 Posts