·
Registered
131 Posts
That is pure exhaust tuning...similar to my A4 with APR exhaust

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imagine a 4 banger Vette. Come on, man. Some things are not meant to be, including a 4 cylinder F-Type. Just gross.
I dont know, that man in the video seemed pretty excited haha.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Imagine a 4 banger Vette. Come on, man. Some things are not meant to be, including a 4 cylinder F-Type. Just gross.
Chevy was pretty close to a 6 cylinder Vette in the late 90s. Thankfully that never happened.

I personally don't understand the logic in moving to a 4-cylinder F-Type. IMO it cheapens the image of the car and I think the supercharged 6 cylinder is appropriate for being the engine that allows for reduced performance/cost over a V8. What car in the F-Type segment has a 4-cylinder option?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
What's next? Slapping a Jaguar Leaper on a remodeled Prius? Is anything sacred? :(
Hmmmm ??? I wished I would have thought of that . . . . . . before I went and spent $72K !!! >:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just remember, they wouldn't have done it if they thought no one would buy it! Turbo 4's with a half liter displacement per cylinder are all the rage now. Jag wants to put this new engine in as many vehicles as possible because it's the least expensive one in their lineup. And getting the volume up helps reduce the price further.

Remember the V6 is being phased out. My guess is that the base and premium will be I4's and the S will get the new I6 when it's available.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I dont know, that man in the video seemed pretty excited haha.
He gets paid to be excited. What the h*ll is Jaguar doing? What's next? Slapping a Jaguar Leaper on a remodeled Prius? Is anything sacred?
Remember, JLR was bought by a major company and had a whole bunch of cash injected into them.

I'm guessing the conversation went something like "Ok we will give you the cash you need to become relevant again, but we are going to need to see a big ROI". Jaguar, not wanting to lose the big amount of money available to them, responded with "Of course! If we just make two new entry level models, and make a more attainable F Type halo car, we can deliver that and keep our jobs!"

A simplification and dramatization of course, but you get the idea. I don't believe Jaguar is here to just make the cars they want as long as they break even. They're here to make some cars that maybe they're less excited about so they can continue to make the ones they want. (The Porsche philosophy of making the Cayenne and Macan funds the 911s).

·
Registered
592 Posts
... Turbo 4's with a half liter displacement per cylinder are all the rage now..
I believe that in many European countries there is a big recurring tax penalty for large displacement engines. 2.0 liter engines have a significant cost advantage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts