Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of comparisons to the Porsche Macan, but not really to the Audi Q7. Has anyone considered the Q7 and gravitated away from it to the F Pace? It seems to have about the same performance as the F Pace even though it's a little bigger, and can be had for essentially the same price as an S with a few options tacked on ($65-67k). I am curious to hear others' opinions on the Q7 and why you decided on the F Pace instead.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I see a lot of comparisons to the Porsche Macan, but not really to the Audi Q7. Has anyone considered the Q7 and gravitated away from it to the F Pace? It seems to have about the same performance as the F Pace even though it's a little bigger, and can be had for essentially the same price as an S with a few options tacked on ($65-67k). I am curious to hear others' opinions on the Q7 and why you decided on the F Pace instead.
Our second choice was the Q5, but we would have waited for the design update since it's at the end of the cycle. Audi got a lot right in the new Q7. It has more space and better integration of the infotainment system than the F-Pace, but not as sporty / fun.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very different cars. Q7 is much bigger than the f pace. The macan is smaller.

The Q5 is the real competitor from vag.

The 3.0t matches well against the 35t and the sq5 matches well against the S.

The macan is in a different price class and the q7 is in a different size class.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Our second choice was the Q5, but we would have waited for the design update since it's at the end of the cycle. Audi got a lot right in the new Q7. It has more space and better integration of the infotainment system than the F-Pace, but not as sporty / fun.
Nor sexy. IMO near the bottom of the list in its class terms of styling. The interior is very nice though.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nor sexy. IMO near the bottom of the list in its class terms of styling. The interior is very nice though.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I saw an F Pace for the first time in real life, and it was much smaller than I expected. I've seen tons of photos and videos, but I guess the people in them must have been relatively small, because when I stood next to it, it felt the same size as my GLK 350, and I am looking for my next car to be a bit larger...future-proofed, if you will.

I started looking at the Q7, and I agree that the exterior is BORING. However, the Infotainment system looks as nice or nicer than the F Pace, without the bugs and reliability issues. Many of the options inside line up with what the F Pace offers.

So now I am stuck. I really love the way the F Pace looks and would love to drive a car that looks unique, but the Q7 seems to offer the same performance (5.7 0-60) with more utility and a better track record of reliability than Jaguar, especially on the tech/electronics side.

Someone talk me out of test driving a Q7!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
That's kind of what I was thinking. I saw an F Pace for the first time in real life, and it was much smaller than I expected. I've seen tons of photos and videos, but I guess the people in them must have been relatively small, because when I stood next to it, it felt the same size as my GLK 350, and I am looking for my next car to be a bit larger...future-proofed, if you will.

I started looking at the Q7, and I agree that the exterior is BORING. However, the Infotainment system looks as nice or nicer than the F Pace, without the bugs and reliability issues. Many of the options inside line up with what the F Pace offers.

So now I am stuck. I really love the way the F Pace looks and would love to drive a car that looks unique, but the Q7 seems to offer the same performance (5.7 0-60) with more utility and a better track record of reliability than Jaguar, especially on the tech/electronics side.

Someone talk me out of test driving a Q7!
Certainly don't get the F-Pace and then wish you had the Q7 ! And don't get the Q7 and wish you had the F-Pace ! By all means , Test-Drive both of them , and whichever one is BEST suited to your needs , is the one to get ! IMO

Reactions: sg92

·
Registered
144 Posts
Test drive the q7 and see if you like it. You dont want to regret buying the jaguar every time you see a q7. By test driving the q7 you will know whether or not you will have any regrets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did test drive and considered Q7. Basically Q7 is van like family SUV and F-Pace more personal and sporty still usable for small family. So depends on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I looked at the Q7 and thought it looked a bit like a "mom car" and is pretty boring overall. I think Audi was way too conservative when they did the redesign. That said the Q7 is a very capable vehicle, but the F-Pace is unique and beautiful. It has very sporty character and is still very usable for hauling stuff around. Lastly, like others have stated, I think the new Q5 would be a better comparison and that launches at the Paris Auto Show this week.

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
If it's for Denver area definitely the Audi, one less F-Pace :)

Reactions: Okie and GRVR

·
Registered
473 Posts
A Q5 intro this week probably means the car is still some time off right? So ppl would have to wait about 6-9 months for a general release, which will be the time a 2018 might come out with, hopefully, fixes for the F-Pace.

On another note, from some angles I like the Q7 but sometimes I feel they put too many sharp angles. I like the current q5 exterior a lot, just not their interior. If the Q5 got just a minor exterior and whole refresh in the interior, Audi has a winning formula. I wish they would keep their current tail lights but I know they'll make it sharper like the current q7.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Q7 is a great vehicle, but not really in the same segment as the F-Pace. Much bigger with third row seating. Similar in power but heavier, so won't be as sporty. Top notch tech from Audi in the Q7. If you want something bigger than the F-Pace, than it is definitely something to look into. If you want similar size to the F-Pace than the Q5 is where you want to look, specifically the SQ5 which is comparable in power to the F-Pace. I have an F-Pace and the wife drives an SQ5. The new Q5 should be out next year while the SQ5 maybe late next year or early 2018.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Q7 is a great vehicle, but not really in the same segment as the F-Pace. Much bigger with third row seating. Similar in power but heavier, so won't be as sporty. Top notch tech from Audi in the Q7. If you want something bigger than the F-Pace, than it is definitely something to look into. If you want similar size to the F-Pace than the Q5 is where you want to look, specifically the SQ5 which is comparable in power to the F-Pace. I have an F-Pace and the wife drives an SQ5. The new Q5 should be out next year while the SQ5 maybe late next year or early 2018.
The technology in the audis is so much better than jaguar.

The 3.0T is comparable to the 35t though

·
Registered
225 Posts

The 3.0T Q5 puts out 272hp...not quite comparable. The SQ5 puts out 354hp, much more comparable.

And it is a night and day difference in power...wife wanted a Q5 and we drove both a 3.0T (2.0T is around 220hp) and the SQ5 and it was easy to see how much of a difference the power makes.

I think her SQ5 will beat my F-Pace in a straight line and probably the corners...could easily be a drivers race though :).

·
Registered
144 Posts

The 3.0T Q5 puts out 272hp...not quite comparable. The SQ5 puts out 354hp, much more comparable.

And it is a night and day difference in power...wife wanted a Q5 and we drove both a 3.0T (2.0T is around 220hp) and the SQ5 and it was easy to see how much of a difference the power makes.

I think her SQ5 will beat my F-Pace in a straight line and probably the corners...could easily be a drivers race though

Its tested at 5.5 to 60 vs 5.4 on the f pace 35t. Its the same engine making 330 hp in the a6 its probably under rated for whatever reason. Vw group is well known for this.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/frontrunner/2013/2013-audi-q5-test/

1 - 20 of 56 Posts