Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I own a F-Pace S (20 inches) and 2014 Audi SQ5 (21 inches).

Both are fully loaded which makes the comparison easier.

I got the F-Pace 4 days ago but I can still make a good comparison between both.

Where the F-Pace beats the SQ5:

-Much more comfortable, even in sports mode, the suspension and everything else is way better as a daily drive.

-The technology in the F-pace is way ahead of the Audi, the Audi even when I got it felt dated compared to much older vehicles I owned.

-I believe the F-pace doesnt require premium gas, compared to the SQ5 (might be wrong).

-I feel much more secure in the snow (and god knows how much we have of it here).

-I think the exhaust sound is more aggressive outside of the car (the SQ5 sound is more present inside the cabin).

-The blutooth connectivity is very quick (it can take up to a minute for the SQ5 to connect).

-More space all around, but not much more.

-The size of the 20 inch wheels is much more common than the 21 that comes with the SQ5, which in return brings down the tire price.

Where the SQ5 beats the F-Pace:

-The car is much more quicker and aggressive, a sligh touch of the pedal and it goes (some might not like this).

-The cornering at speeds with the SQ5 is better than the F-pace

-The Bang & Olufsen sound system is much better than the Meridien.

-I miss the gear shifter, I still don't know where to rest my hand lol... also it feels better to shift into the S mode than turn a dial.

If you have any questions doesn't hesitate asking. I still own the SQ5 for the time being which would make answering question easier.

Attachments

Reactions: PA-FPace-F

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Great comparison! A few unsolicited comments :)

Interesting you feel better in snow in the F Pace since the SQ is full time AWD and the F Pace isn't.

Agreed on the B&O being much better than the Meridian.

I think the new SQ5 will be ahead of the F Pace in technology again, but it a fan of the exterior so far.

Both of your cars are beautiful! I almost considered trading in my S4 for the SQ5 but just couldn't get over the dated interior.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
It's nice to have someone who owns both and can compare. I had a Q7 a few years back and I still think the F_Pace competes with that other than the 3rd row and the sound system, which I seem to remember being just a little better than the F-Pace. However, I am going on memory rather than direct comparison. There is one place I which the F-pace had some better options though from the dealership and that is in wheel width and fatter tires. The S-Line Q7 rims, which I still have in the basement with some pretty good rubber on them if anyone with a Q7 is interested, looked really good on the Q7 and I like the meatier rubber stance it had. I'm hoping to fix that with some aftermarket rims and some new summer rubber this spring, but it would have been nice to have an option from the factory for that setup.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hello everyone,

I own a F-Pace S (20 inches) and 2014 Audi SQ5 (21 inches).

Both are fully loaded which makes the comparison easier.

I got the F-Pace 4 days ago but I can still make a good comparison between both.

Where the F-Pace beats the SQ5:

-Much more comfortable, even in sports mode, the suspension and everything else is way better as a daily drive.

-The technology in the F-pace is way ahead of the Audi, the Audi even when I got it felt dated compared to much older vehicles I owned.

-I believe the F-pace doesnt require premium gas, compared to the SQ5 (might be wrong).

-I feel much more secure in the snow (and god knows how much we have of it here).

-I think the exhaust sound is more aggressive outside of the car (the SQ5 sound is more present inside the cabin).

-The blutooth connectivity is very quick (it can take up to a minute for the SQ5 to connect).

-More space all around, but not much more.

-The size of the 20 inch wheels is much more common than the 21 that comes with the SQ5, which in return brings down the tire price.

Where the SQ5 beats the F-Pace:

-The car is much more quicker and aggressive, a sligh touch of the pedal and it goes (some might not like this).

-The cornering at speeds with the SQ5 is better than the F-pace

-The Bang & Olufsen sound system is much better than the Meridien.

-I miss the gear shifter, I still don't know where to rest my hand lol... also it feels better to shift into the S mode than turn a dial.

If you have any questions doesn't hesitate asking. I still own the SQ5 for the time being which would make answering question easier.
Jeez, people up in Canada have great tastes in cars! Both of them are beautiful! Of course I am biased to the F-pace but I also looked at the SQ5. Interesting to see about the cornering because if im correct the F-pace has torque vectoring by braking technology and the SQ5 doesn't... but then again the SQ5 is AWD so im sure there is some technology they have in there to make it good when cornering.

Reactions: Malek

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comparison. Do you have the 20" Goodyear tires? How to you feel they perform in the snow?
I don't know which tires came with the car because I removed them right away for winter tires (Nokia Ha. R2). I'll go check in the garage, didn't pay attention to them.

The ones supplied with the car are summer tires and are not derivable in the winter.

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great comparison! A few unsolicited comments :)

Interesting you feel better in snow in the F Pace since the SQ is full time AWD and the F Pace isn't.

Agreed on the B&O being much better than the Meridian.

I think the new SQ5 will be ahead of the F Pace in technology again, but it a fan of the exterior so far.

Both of your cars are beautiful! I almost considered trading in my S4 for the SQ5 but just couldn't get over the dated interior.
Thanks!

My gut feeling is that the new SQ5 will not be ahead, at best match what the Fpace has.

I have all the options in the fpace, including all the numerous driving aids, incar internet, HUD, connected navigation, etc etc.

I will for sure compare both when the SQ5 comes out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeez, people up in Canada have great tastes in cars! Both of them are beautiful! Of course I am biased to the F-pace but I also looked at the SQ5. Interesting to see about the cornering because if im correct the F-pace has torque vectoring by braking technology and the SQ5 doesn't... but then again the SQ5 is AWD so im sure there is some technology they have in there to make it good when cornering.
To be fair, my impression is in full winter driving, I will have a way better idea with summer conditions with the summer tires.

My gut feeling is that the FPace has more body roll than the SQ5, also I am used to drive the SQ5 for 3 years now, pushing it to the limit... whereas I just got the FPace and still not fully acclimated with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the comparison! the 2018 SQ5 should definitely be more improved. Surprised by the difference in engine response...i think they both share the same 0-60 times of 5.1 seconds. Did you put your F Pace S in dynamic/sport?

·
Registered
295 Posts
A few comments from the above posts in no particular order of importance:

Gas is premium 91 octane not regular.

Tires if 20 inch for the S are All Season not summer tires. The reason you say not suitable in the winter is because in the province of Quebec, you must have winter rated tires by law. Obviously winter rated tires are better in the winter/snow/ice but according to some on this forum, notably Trek, not necessary. I do not agree with Trek on this one. Even in Toronto where we get very little heavy snow falls and some winters the grass is bare, I put on winter tires. My tires are Pirelli Winter & Ice which is a lighter tread, not great for heavy snow but better than the all seasons but very good on ice and slush. Very quiet running tires cannot tell the difference from my OEM All Seasons. My theory is that it is the one snowstorm or ice storm that I will not be close to home or driving in rush hour traffic up a hill or a down a hill (Toronto has hills) that the winter tires will save me from an accident. Also with two sets of tires all season and winter I will not have to buy replacement tires for the time I own the vehicle which usually is about 4 to 5 years at about 12000 kilometers or 7500 miles per year.

As for the make of OEM tire if you have 20 inch tires only one tire is sourced by Jaguar for this vehicle, made by Goodyear especially for the F Pace.

"Eagle F1 AT. They are M&S 255/50 R20 109W. Definitely built for Jaguar, as they actually have "JLR" on the sidewall." Quote comes from ddrsport june 29 2016 post on this forum.

As for the F Pace being better on snow, likely the condition, the make and model of the tire is a significant factor. Put on the same tires in the same condition to truly compare. Also the tires on the Audi are wider, they will have less traction in the snow.

The comment about full time all wheel drive vs part time drive is not valid. Part time is actually very sophisticated. Adjustments to the torque and power going to each wheel is being constantly adjusted in microseconds by the onboard computer, if it detects slippage in one wheel or the other, to get the vehicle back on track. Full time all wheel drive can have the same system but what is the point of driving all four wheels on flat dry pavement other than wasting fuel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the comparison! the 2018 SQ5 should definitely be more improved. Surprised by the difference in engine response...i think they both share the same 0-60 times of 5.1 seconds. Did you put your F Pace S in dynamic/sport?
SQ5 is faster to 60.

BTW f pace needs premium gas!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
A few comments from the above posts in no particular order of importance:

Gas is premium 91 octane not regular.

Tires if 20 inch for the S are All Season not summer tires. The reason you say not suitable in the winter is because in the province of Quebec, you must have winter rated tires by law. Obviously winter rated tires are better in the winter/snow/ice but according to some on this forum, notably Trek, not necessary. I do not agree with Trek on this one. Even in Toronto where we get very little heavy snow falls and some winters the grass is bare, I put on winter tires. My tires are Pirelli Winter & Ice which is a lighter tread, not great for heavy snow but better than the all seasons but very good on ice and slush. Very quiet running tires cannot tell the difference from my OEM All Seasons. My theory is that it is the one snowstorm or ice storm that I will not be close to home or driving in rush hour traffic up a hill or a down a hill (Toronto has hills) that the winter tires will save me from an accident. Also with two sets of tires all season and winter I will not have to buy replacement tires for the time I own the vehicle which usually is about 4 to 5 years at about 12000 kilometers or 7500 miles per year.

As for the make of OEM tire if you have 20 inch tires only one tire is sourced by Jaguar for this vehicle, made by Goodyear especially for the F Pace.

"Eagle F1 AT. They are M&S 255/50 R20 109W. Definitely built for Jaguar, as they actually have "JLR" on the sidewall." Quote comes from ddrsport june 29 2016 post on this forum.

As for the F Pace being better on snow, likely the condition, the make and model of the tire is a significant factor. Put on the same tires in the same condition to truly compare. Also the tires on the Audi are wider, they will have less traction in the snow.

The comment about full time all wheel drive vs part time drive is not valid. Part time is actually very sophisticated. Adjustments to the torque and power going to each wheel is being constantly adjusted in microseconds by the onboard computer, if it detects slippage in one wheel or the other, to get the vehicle back on track. Full time all wheel drive can have the same system but what is the point of driving all four wheels on flat dry pavement other than wasting fuel.
I agree 100% with what you have here. Especially the part about AWD. Audi's quatro is better than Mercedes and BMW's system, as it provides both torque vectoring and a sport differential supplying both more torque to the outside wheels and braking on the inside wheels (option on Q5 -although I didn't see it in the build options- and std on SQ5) and it handles difft rotating rates among the wheels better. There are other differences as well, but these are the big ones. I don't know enough about Jag's AWD system so I can't offer much beyond the fact that it has torque vectoring std and if nothing is slipping, it provides up to 90% of the torque to the rear wheels. I was surprised to see posts full time AWD etc. IMO the correct way of describing Jag's AWD system is that it is not limited to a rudimentary split of power front-back it is much more adaptive.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Audis mechanical Quattro AWD is better (in my opinion) than the electronic torque vectoring on the F Pace. It seems like the F Pace is geared toward more "fun" and the Audi geared more toward "don't slip don't slip don't slip". Depending on how you like it, the former could be more fun, but probably not in adverse weather. :)

You guys are probably right though, I'm sure the difference is negligible most of the time.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't know which tires came with the car because I removed them right away for winter tires (Nokia Ha. R2). I'll go check in the garage, didn't pay attention to them.

The ones supplied with the car are summer tires and are not derivable in the winter.
+1 for Hakkas, they're the nuts:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
The trouble that I have with the Hakkapaleta R2s is that I believe they are R or T speed Rated Tires. This Translate to: not for use at speeds above 90 and 100 miles per hour respectively

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The trouble that I have with the Hakkapaleta R2s is that I believe they are R or T speed Rated Tires. This Translate to: not for use at speeds above 90 and 100 miles per hour respectively
It works for me, since I never contemplate driving at close to those speeds with full winters:|
I am not sure I would be comfortable with them at such speeds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its not only the tires, its how the car behaves when pressing the gas pedal.

The SQ5 is very aggresive even when lightly touching the gas pedal, which is not ideal when driving in snow or ice as you loose instantly control and have to adjust constantly your driving. Its very annoying.

Even with both having the same tires, I would trust the FPace more than the SQ5.

Reactions: ekimv65

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes in sports mode and S. The SQ5 is still much quicker.

But the Fpace makes an amazing sound, if you play with the shift paddles, you can even make the exhaust "pop" which is impossible in the SQ5 as system will not let you do (It will force the gear change).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Audis mechanical Quattro AWD is better (in my opinion) than the electronic torque vectoring on the F Pace. It seems like the F Pace is geared toward more "fun" and the Audi geared more toward "don't slip don't slip don't slip". Depending on how you like it, the former could be more fun, but probably not in adverse weather. :)

You guys are probably right though, I'm sure the difference is negligible most of the time.
I think its the right way of describing both systems, the SQ5 would never slip, I would have to force it. Whereas the FPace would slip in speedy curve which is more fun but personally not excited about in the winter :D:D:D (the black ice here is horrible)

Reactions: JWreck

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yes in sports mode and S. The SQ5 is still much quicker.

But the Fpace makes an amazing sound, if you play with the shift paddles, you can even make the exhaust "pop" which is impossible in the SQ5 as system will not let you do (It will force the gear change).
Im not sure if "popping" is even possible in naturally aspirated engines or turbo charged engines. The supercharger itself is what actually makes the crackling noises. Im sure there are turbos out there from AMG that will crackle but its mechanically orchestrated or something.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts