Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've only had one success with attempting to remote start the F Pace through the app. about a month ago, which was my first time trying this.

I've tried twice since, one time from within my house where I was inside and about 20 feet from the car which was outside, the other time was this afternoon within a concrete multi level parking garage. I exited the elevator and could see my car in the distance about 50' away.

These last two times the app gets stuck in the "contacting car" phase and won't go further.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Loop

·
Administrator
1,974 Posts
The telematics system like any other cellular system needs to see the sky or be close enough to attain a signal. If not your mobile app will try but never get through.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Keep trying, bro'. Mine works from inside my house, so your app should also work. In fact, it also works if I am inside my house and my F-Pace is enclosed in the garage. Outside or inside it works. Sometimes it just takes a little longer than other times.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try logging out of the app. Delete the app. Reboot your phone. Reinstall the app and login again and try.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
The range of your car to your phone has nothing to do with the Remote working or not. When you use the app it contacts Jaguar's cloud server which in turn then contacts your vehicle through the car's telematics unit, the telematics unit replies to the cloud server which then replies to the app. So, as pointed out above, two things are critical a) your phone's connection to the internet either through a good cell signal or a wifi network b) your car's telematics unit connection to the internet/cloud through it's cellular connection. Try testing the app in a parking lot or similar where you have a strong cell signal on your phone (in addition to the steps cyberdog outlines above). Another test is using the Route Planner app and seeing if it accurately maps your vehicle's current location that will give you a sense of whether connectivity is working right.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The other thing that I have found is that you need to wait - if you are not already - for the connection to be made on the first screen before proceeding to Remote Start. You know, "Updating . . " gives way to the vehicle status. Then move to the remote start screen, with the connection fully established.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
As noted, it totally depends on connectivity with the car and your phone and it has nothing to do with proximity to the car. If the car has a cell signal, and you have a strong signal on your phone things should work. I've found there are places where I can always consistently start the car, and there are places where it's touch and go whether or not it will work. One place where it is an issue is my work. I don't have any other AT&T devices, to check, but I'm assuming AT&T 3G connectivity is touchy where I park the car. Parking structures tend to absorb or block cell signals so I would expect you could see issues in those structures.

I have found some things that help make the app work more consistently. If I wait till the app gets the update and contacts the car (note at the bottom of the app page will show you when it last contacted the vehicle) it tends to start more consistently, then if I just go into the app and jump to the start button page and push it. It seems the app may time out faster than the app sometimes can end up getting connectivity with the car. I also found, that it's more consistent if I try it more quickly. Such as a short run to the food store, where I'm only in the store for 10 minutes and then start it before coming out, vs at work where item car may sit for 8 hours and then I try it. I think if the car is "awake" as in it hasn't gone to sleep yet, things work more consistently. I think most of us have found that timeframe is somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes after shutting the car off.

I have talked to Jaguar about the apps inconsistency multiple times and it has gotten better for me, but it's not consistent enough for me now for me to use it all the time. I probably have success about 60% of the time starting it with the app.

·
Registered
337 Posts
seems about 50/50 chance of working as soon as I open the app. But when it gets stuck "contacting vehicle" I've had some luck force closing the app and then trying again.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine seldom works, all above and more checked, tried, etc. Worst I've owned in a one horse race to the bottom because all the rest have worked without issue. Jag has a long way to go on their tech in many respects. It isn't just reliability and function it's things like the car won't lock itself (if unlocked) and then start like every other car. Instead you get a message telling you to first lock the car before remote starting it. Shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
No issues here - I start it at the gym while I am finishing up showering and changing so that the car is nice and cool when I get in. Been 100% successful so far. Car is outside in an open parking lot and am inside in the locker room.

Previously, my wife also never had any issues - she would start the car from her office building and the car was sitting about 2 blocks away in an open parking lot.

I would definitely do as advised by PA-FPace-F. If not, then make sure to bring the issue up to your service dealer - enough complaints and Jaguar will listen.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine works 99% of time. I have found you have to wait for the app to update when you first open it (see the status at the bottom of the main screen that show the map on it). The update is automatic and takes about 10-15 secs and will eventually say "just updated now" when completed. It will contact the car to see the status, such as is it lock/unlocked and location of the car. Once it does this, then I proceed to do the remote start. If I don't wait then there is chance it will not remote start.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My question to all is once you've activated the engine start and see the thingy spinning, can you exit the app and do something else or will that cancel the remote start.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
My question to all is once you've activated the engine start and see the thingy spinning, can you exit the app and do something else or will that cancel the remote start.
The app is sending an engine start request through the cloud then receiving back confirmation. Once that engine start request is sent to vehicle you can exit app, the vehicle status is independent of the app.

My remote starts works 95% of the time. There are two things that bug me about the app:

1) This gripe has no impact on function but offends my sense of order and accuracy: Remote rarely has my vehicle location correctly shown. For example, this morning it shows my vehicle as still being parked in Belcaro neighborhood like 7 miles from home. I was there yesterday but now vehicle in our building garage. Often it will show vehicle location as being a mile or two from where car is really parked. It's as if vehicle isn't updating cloud frequently enough and sometimes not all as seems to be case today. However if I go into route planner app my location is accurate down to the parking spot in our building garage. Obviously two different "cloud" systems involved with two different results. I've deleted and reinstalled app and still have same issue. This is with the most recently available version of the 2.5 update installed in vehicle as of last week.

2) Still irks me that you have to re-login into app fairly frequently. Virtually no other app in IOS does this too me except Route Planner. If Jaguar insists on continuing this app bevahior they should at least add TouchID so one can quickly and easily login. Always seems to be when I'm in a hurry to put something in that it wants me to login again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
2) Still irks me that you have to re-login into app fairly frequently. Virtually no other app in IOS does this too me except Route Planner. If Jaguar insists on continuing this app bevahior they should at least add TouchID so one can quickly and easily login. Always seems to be when I'm in a hurry to put something in that it wants me to login again.
This is my issue as well. For the most part, the app works well as long as it's logged in. But it seems like every few weeks I get logged out and have to enter username and password just to get into the app. When I'm walking toward the car and trying to get the car started a minute or two before I get there, this is pretty annoying and disruptive. As mentioned above, if they can't tone down the frequency of re-authorization, TouchID would be a huge improvement....

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is my issue as well. For the most part, the app works well as long as it's logged in. But it seems like every few weeks I get logged out and have to enter username and password just to get into the app. When I'm walking toward the car and trying to get the car started a minute or two before I get there, this is pretty annoying and disruptive. As mentioned above, if they can't tone down the frequency of re-authorization, TouchID would be a huge improvement....
I couldn't agree more. It seems that the app looses my login credentials after about 5 days. I really wish they would fix that or tie the log in to the finger print sensor on today's devices like other apps do for authentication.

-Mashie

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
If you haven't already go into apps store and register your displeasure in a short review of the app, maybe that will eventually prompt them to change the login situation.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you haven't already go into apps store and register your displeasure in a short review of the app, maybe that will eventually prompt them to change the login situation.
Great idea, will certainly do that. My problem is that I have a super long, high entropy password generated by my password manager. Any effort to get the app set up on my wife's phone is wasted because she'll get kicked out and not be able to use the app since she does't use password manager.

Maybe Jaguar sees this as a some sort of security "feature" so that our cars aren't hacked?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
any body else having issues with the Remote App lying to you about the Lock status of your F-PACE? I was ok with the "Lock Status Unknown" I got a few times (it's a computer, they have issues) but I'm currently getting "UNLOCKED - Trunk Open" even after going outside in and checking finding it to be untrue, closing app unlocking, locking, arming check that doors are lock and red security light on dash is flashing yet app says... "UNLOCKED - Trunk Open"

·
Registered
932 Posts
any body else having issues with the Remote App lying to you about the Lock status of your F-PACE? I was ok with the "Lock Status Unknown" I got a few times (it's a computer, they have issues) but I'm currently getting "UNLOCKED - Trunk Open" even after going outside in and checking finding it to be untrue, closing app unlocking, locking, arming check that doors are lock and red security light on dash is flashing yet app says... "UNLOCKED - Trunk Open"
I get that all the time. Despite reinstalling the app about 10 times, getting ICTP updates, new telematics unit, etc., it has never been accurate, so I have just given up on the feature. The only time I use Remote App is to turn the car on before I leave the office in the winter, and that feature works about 50% of the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts