Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,534 Posts
Ok, the issues & associated posts are right here in the Issues/Problems section. Several that come to mind experienced by a number of owners:

A/C not working properly or not maintaining temp - Saw TSB JTB00380NAS3 - Inadequate A/C Performance
*** I think 2-3 owners, mostly in very hot/humid areas, known Topix issue, small valve replacement

Check engine light - quite a few. Some says wiring issue. Some gas cap.
*** Two owners by my count, known Topix issue, sensor replacement

Rear suspension bottoming out. Read of several of these yesterday
*** one owner, posted several times, no other reports that I've seen

Creaking/rattles behind dash. Quite a few .
*** two (oops now three) owners that I can see, there is a known Topix issue for rattle in the glovebox but doesn't sound like that's what these guys have

Cooling system - number of posts about overheating, bad radiator caps. Not sure extent of issue or just early builds.
*** two early reports that I've seen, there is a known Topix issue about hose chafing too, no longer an issue, I think two owners had pressure tank replaced

And not sure if they will add the locking gas door next year - hopefully they will with owner feedback.
Maybe they'll offer a "closure" luxury package that will include locking gas cap door and sliding cover for front cup holders.

Out of 9,500 F-Pace units sold in July alone, not counting april-may or august production/delivery, we are seeing non-isolator/ictp trouble reports in about %00.032 of units shipped, I'd have trouble characterizing that as widespread problems that might deter a purchase.

Reactions: bpmba and billj04

·
F Pace Expert
2,534 Posts
PS: there have been a lot of problems with both ordering and delivery process. all of these seems to be quirks or faults of dealers with some possible user error. many have avoided them by getting a Vista report and checking it carefully after ordering and utilizing pre-delivery letter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suppose we've all had different experiences with cars and, in particular, first model year cars.

My wife has a newer Highlander (the current version) and has had zero issues (she had one of the first ones in the area, so it was an early build).

For me, I had a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 with the DSG transmission (Audi's first dual-clutch pedal-less manual) and that transmission was a disaster. I mean, when it worked as it was supposed to, it was fantastic. Problem was it often did NOT work as it was supposed to. My dealership's techs were not very good, and were never able to fix it (it was a lease so it expired before the problem was resolved). I sincerely hope whoever bought it after my lease didn't die in a horrible crash because of that transmission. Anyway...

It goes to show you that the price of a car has very little to do with how well-tested the vehicle in question is before it's released. Nor does the price of a car necessarily dictate how great the feature set will be. My 2012 Audi A4 Avant doesn't even do BT streaming audio, whereas my wife's Highlander not only streams BT, but does in-car navigation of the BT device's content and even pulls images of artists and album covers from some mysterious location (the car has no internet connectivity so I'm not sure how it does that to be honest).

BUT

Despite that, we should expect that more expensive vehicles are of a higher quality in general...not just in terms of driving dynamics and styling, but in all aspects. Especially since so much of what a car is and does these days is computer-related, car companies should wait until their products are ready to go before releasing them, as frustrating as that may be for people who put in pre-orders, etc.

I've had several JLR SAs tell me that Mr. Tata told both Land Rover and Jaguar execs, soon after purchasing the companies, that he didn't want to hear about problems with the cars, and gave the companies the ability to make decisions on parts and features based on what was best for the vehicles and their customers rather than the marketing departments. It certainly does not seem like that has taken effect yet. LR's reliability ratings are arguably the worst in the business and these various issues that the F-PACE is experiencing certainly could've been caught and fixed before the car was released. There's no way, with the frequency that some of these problems are being reported, that Jaguar shouldn't have observed the same issues during product testing.

(and yes, the people who've said that only a small % of people who've bought these cars are likely to seek out these forums, register, and post are correct)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
For me, this forum, my last post... it is titled "F-Pace Problems" - - a place where we can post issues with the FP and share our experiences in coming to resolution with those issues. The last several posts, where one is defending the value of the FP against another who is trying to diminish it, is just so divisive to the greater cause. I just do not see this thread as being one of tit-for-tat on who's point is more correct than that of the other. Focus on the topic - F-Pace Problems - and post and discuss and resolve, help each other out in that resolution, and leave the point-making of who is right behind. I also feel that if you do not currently own an F-Pace, then do not post to this thread. We are owners, we have issues, and we are not out to dismiss or support the brand, the model, only to share our common experience and with communication, resolve some of these issues. In other words, if you are not part of that greater good, to share and resolve, then SHUT UP.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In other words, if you are not part of that greater good, to share and resolve, then SHUT UP.
You might want to familiarize with yourself with the concept of a public forum (yes, this is a public forum...there is no rule that only Jaguar F-PACE owners are allowed here) before you rudely tell other people who have every right to be here and join the discussion to not talk about things you don't want them to talk about.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I do apologize, just gets a bit frustrating sometimes on this thread. I will be more civil and less reactionary. I do want to capture the issues and help the community in resolution, and will stick to that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do apologize, just gets a bit frustrating sometimes on this thread. I will be more civil and less reactionary. I do want to capture the issues and help the community in resolution, and will stick to that.
I can't seem to find it now, but at one point I was compiling a spreadsheet of the various issues and related fixes (where applicable) and was going to post it but I think somebody beat me to it in another thread on problems / issues. You may want to try to find that and keeping it up to date as a community, I do think that kind of resource is very useful and helpful.

·
Banned
304 Posts
Ok, the issues & associated posts are right here in the Issues/Problems section. Several that come to mind experienced by a number of owners:

A/C not working properly or not maintaining temp - Saw TSB JTB00380NAS3 - Inadequate A/C Performance
*** I think 2-3 owners, mostly in very hot/humid areas, known Topix issue, small valve replacement

Check engine light - quite a few. Some says wiring issue. Some gas cap.
*** Two owners by my count, known Topix issue, sensor replacement

Rear suspension bottoming out. Read of several of these yesterday
*** one owner, posted several times, no other reports that I've seen

Creaking/rattles behind dash. Quite a few .
*** two (oops now three) owners that I can see, there is a known Topix issue for rattle in the glovebox but doesn't sound like that's what these guys have

Cooling system - number of posts about overheating, bad radiator caps. Not sure extent of issue or just early builds.
*** two early reports that I've seen, there is a known Topix issue about hose chafing too, no longer an issue, I think two owners had pressure tank replaced

And not sure if they will add the locking gas door next year - hopefully they will with owner feedback.
Maybe they'll offer a "closure" luxury package that will include locking gas cap door and sliding cover for front cup holders.

Out of 9,500 F-Pace units sold in July alone, not counting april-may or august production/delivery, we are seeing non-isolator/ictp trouble reports in about %00.032 of units shipped, I'd have trouble characterizing that as widespread problems that might deter a purchase.
I agree, However as as mentioned previously, and sure you will agree, a small minority of car owners of any brand ( or any product for that matter) subscribes to a forum & convey their experience with that product. So I think it's safe to assume that of the thousands of F-Paces sold since launch only a small fraction are posting here - good or bad.
So I do conclude that many more owners are likely having these issues. Also your separating the ICTP issues- but it does seem to be a fairly widespread complaint, and a major system. So not sure why that was done. These would certainly up the percentage.

·
F Pace Expert
2,534 Posts
ICTP needed improvements and isolators are clearly systemic issues. I separate them out because your contention is that there are other widespread issues which a review of this forum shows, at least amongst this user base, is patently false. Honestly about every two months someone plops themselves into a productive thread with "well, with all these problems with this janky Jag I'll never buy one." It irks the cr*p out me.

You're convinced there are widespread other problems despite lack of evidence. No amount of hard data will change your perception. Seems like waiting until 2018 or later makes total sense. As Weeb suggested I'll go back to noodling with other owners on actual problems, either idiosyncratic or systemic where they exist.

Reactions: RoonieQ

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
So, a quick update, as well as using this thread to document my own issues. Sure enough, on the commute to work today, had that hot, nearly burning oil smell. On the way home, the AC started that cycling off thing, which pumped warm humid air into the cabin, even though I set the temp control down as far as it goes. So, first issue, has happened to a few others here, looks like the pinion seal on the front differential has failed. One member actually had to have the whole differential replaced. I think I took delivery within a couple of weeks of theirs, so maybe this could be traced back to a more narrow build window. Anyway, confirmed the leak by looking under the front driver's side, the under pan or belly or whatever you call that mass of plastic has oil streaks leading back. Evidently, when this seal begins to leak, the driveshaft throws the fluid onto the exhaust, causing the smell. The AC issue has also been documented by others. Both issues have service bulletins, so I do not expect difficulty in getting them sorted out. It is a bit concerning that I have now had three significant issues - creaky springs, pinion seal, AC - at just over 300 miles, but better early on than later, or during the winter, I suppose.

:(
I am going to ask for a 911 as a loaner.....

·
Banned
304 Posts
ICTP needed improvements and isolators are clearly systemic issues. I separate them out because your contention is that there are other widespread issues which a review of this forum shows, at least amongst this user base, is patently false. Honestly about every two months someone plops themselves into a productive thread with "well, with all these problems with this janky Jag I'll never buy one." It irks the cr*p out me.

You're convinced there are widespread other problems despite lack of evidence. No amount of hard data will change your perception. Seems like waiting until 2018 or later makes total sense. As Weeb suggested I'll go back to noodling with other owners on actual problems, either idiosyncratic or systemic where they exist.
I have never said anything negative about Jaguar or the F-Pace, and don't appreciate being lumped in with other who you said have trashed them. Quite the contrary, only reason I've spend time on the FP forums is I'm very interested in one as my next SUV. I research purchases very thoroughly, and any comments I've made have been to get info or ask questions bases on concerns I have. Unless your suggesting just buy a big ticket item regardless ( I don't lease) and don't give a crap. I actually plan to test drive a FP next month, so it will be a contender next year or gets crossed of the list. Also will test several others including the Lexus RX ,while not as nice looking or fast, is very capable and I think all will agree a rock solid reliable, well built SUV.

And again all I'm saying is your basing you conclusions on 2 complaints about this problem, or 3 about that problem on the tiny subset of owners who subscribe & post to this forum- is that the hard data you reference?
And my plans are to upgrade my SUV in 2018, regardless of what brand I go with - and yes, if I had to do it right now, the FP issues I've read about would give me pause.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Closest Jag dealer is 75 miles away.
I'm jealous. My dealer is 130 miles away. Car came in last Thursday. Waiting on dealer to get car prepped and financing info. I'm a little nervous.

·
Banned
304 Posts
I'm jealous. My dealer is 130 miles away. Car came in last Thursday. Waiting on dealer to get car prepped and financing info. I'm a little nervous.
Yup, distance is always a consideration when buying. Not trying to give advice, but look through the forum, some guys here have checklists you can bring to help insure things are right. You don't want to be making 260 mile round trips for minor or avoidable stuff. This is one minus of Jaguar - the relatively small dealer network.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the oil issue from the pinion seal, and just picked up my car on Friday, after taking it in for service Tues AM. I still occasionally smell oil burning, but it's not as bad, and probably just remnants of the oil on the exhaust. So far, no visible oil leakage, and it appears they did clean off the plate that had the oil slick on it.

The big disappointment was... for the 2nd time, the service people couldn't acknowledge the A/C issue. It took less than 5 minutes after I pulled out of their parking lot before the A/C problem was there again.

The ICTP issue reared its ugly head on way home from dealer as well...

·
Registered
390 Posts
...So I think it's safe to assume that of the thousands of F-Paces sold since launch only a small fraction are posting here - good or bad.
So I do conclude that many more owners are likely having these issues...
I'm not sure how you make the leap to that conclusion. Unless you talk to those owners not present on the forum (not sure how) and confirm their experiences, you are mistaken and your conclusion erroneous. The majority of forum posters seek information on issues they are having and thereby skew the extent of said issues by making them appear more prevalent in the overall number of vehicles sold and on the road. Notwithstanding the enthusiast crowd, happy satisfied owner postings on forums are generally less prevalent.

·
F Pace Expert
2,534 Posts
mrjoed,

hey, in any technology produce life cycle there are a range of purchasers. early adopters are obviously well represented here. if you are averse to a few rough edges and some rarely occurring QA issues that will be smoothed over in time in exchange for an extra year or two of driving a great machine ahead of the masses then by all means wait. The other advantage of waiting is you'll benefit from the experience of all of us as we tell Jaguar what we think.

best wishes on your vehicle evaluation. I think it's a great driving experience. I'm willing to take it in for service if needed but other might not be.

In the meantime, truce, so this thread can go back to what it was meant for.

Attachments

Reactions: RoonieQ

·
Banned
304 Posts
mrjoed,

hey, in any technology produce life cycle there are a range of purchasers. early adopters are obviously well represented here. if you are averse to a few rough edges and some rarely occurring QA issues that will be smoothed over in time in exchange for an extra year or two of driving a great machine ahead of the masses then by all means wait. The other advantage of waiting is you'll benefit from the experience of all of us as we tell Jaguar what we think.

best wishes on your vehicle evaluation. I think it's a great driving experience. I'm willing to take it in for service if needed but other might not be.

In the meantime, truce, so this thread can go back to what it was meant for.

Fair enough. I agree early adopters do get more time with a new vehicle. And this owner feedback is how improvements are made. Also agree on the servicing. I'm inclined to wait if it could means less service vsits, just my DNA, and as I mentioned the distance in my case to a Jag dealer.
And glad your enjoying your F-Pace & sharing valuable info that helps prospective buyers. I'll report back after I do my test drive next month.

Reactions: VZX-CO
21 - 40 of 50 Posts