Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am looking for a preowned sporty SUV for the wife and I and of course the F-Pace is a consideration (2018-2019). I am not new to Jags sold my 07 XK Cab not too long ago (grew up in in my dads 03 S-Type V8). Given that the F-Pace is a relatively new model I'm wondering what owners would recommend drive-train wise. I noted that there is an array of engine choices: 2.0D, 2.5T, 3.0T, 3.5T.

Inclined to go with the 3.5T for the fun factor, but would much rather go with the most "reliable" motor. I've read the various articles about F-Pace reliability but they seem to be more so focused on the infotainment which to be honest isn't a big issue for me as much as a relatively bulletproof drivetrain. I completely understand that these cars require more maintenance than a Toyota. There are several used models 2018/2019 near me (Toronto).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’d go with the S model f-pace. I currently have one (first Jaguar) and only driven one of the ‘lesser’ models while using a loaner..it was awful. Maybe having the S is overkill but the old saying here applies. You only live once! I’d rather have more of a car and not use the power vs less and regret not getting something alittle more fun to drive.

You’ll pay the premium for the S model..but it’ll still be desirable down the road. Find a CPO and get that extra year or 2 and up to 100k miles. That gives you the freedom to drive it with less worries about major items failing. Once you’re out of warranty you can decide if/when you wanna get something else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am definitely looking for a CPO one but was wondering which motor had the least amount of issues to deal with. I would be much rather enjoying it than constantly taking it in for servicing!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
S Model is also recommended here. find a low mileage one out there. They are plentiful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am definitely looking for a CPO one but was wondering which motor had the least amount of issues to deal with. I would be much rather enjoying it than constantly taking it in for servicing!
I think the key word is enjoy.. you’ll enjoy the S every single time you drive it. I doubt there’s gonna be a clear cut answer on reliability between the different models. If you get a low mileage CPO like mentioned above, you’ll have a greater chance (along with proper maintenance) of staying out of the dealership. The CPO program also gives you a few free services (yearly).

I purchased an S with 17k miles. Currently has 60k..I used it for 2 years as a daily driver back and forth to work 40 miles each way. Outside of oil changes I did the rear brakes and tires recently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, I totally get the fun factor but I was hoping for some feedback on reliability. It does seem like there are no major complaints on the V6 motors so thats good.

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F Pace 35t R Sport
513 Posts
Guys, I totally get the fun factor but I was hoping for some feedback on reliability. It does seem like there are no major complaints on the V6 motors so thats good.
You've got it. Mechanics are great; electonics, meh. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We’ve had a 20D for going on 4 years... not a problem so far and getting 30-40+ mpg regularly.
Very happy so far, plenty fast enough for us and has overall been great.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
35t V6 all the way in an S, R-Sport with adaptive dynamics or Portfolio.

Smoother power delivery and better real-world mileage than the 4 bangers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there. 2017 S model (supercharged) here with 26k miles. Mechanically....have not had any issues at all. Have had some bugs with the infotainment, but usually clear themslves up, after software update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The V6 supercharged is tried and true. Along with the ZF transmission it is about as good as you can get. There is a plastic coolant tube under the front of the supercharger that fails. There is an updated part. Other than that pretty much solid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2017 F pace S FE with 82,000 miles. No major issues at all....(knock on wood). There are no squeaks or rattles. Tranny is holding up well and engine very powerful. A couple weeks ago I took it up to 105 mph briefly, just to see how it would do, was very smooth. I bought it recently at a dealer, but was able to talk with the original owner, as I found contact info in the owner’s manual folder. He said the only problems were a window that didn’t work smoothly, and a brake pad that was defective and replaced at 12,500 miles. If I didn’t know any better, I would think I’m driving a car with maybe 20,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a 2019 S trim CPO in April (with the 3.0 supercharger that puts out 384 hp) and it has 47k miles and was a one-owner from the same dealership I bought it from. I also looked at a '17 S trim with 92k and a one-owner in really good condition from the anecdotal brief observation and test drive. So, I have hope ( and the balance of the Jag 5-year/60k warranty and 1-year CPO warrant), that it will be reliable for the next few coming years. I also got 29-30 mpg on a mostly interstate trip cruising at an average speed of 70 mph for the trip.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yet another vote for the "S." Same engine as my F-Type with a long, reliable history.
No one is surprised by the F-Type, but in a SUV, it's a real sleeper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
S or V6 all the way.

I had an XE with the 2.0 diesel. FANTASTIC motor but its honestly made of glass. Balance shafts went out at 51k required 3 engine outs (they had some issues). I'll take the smiles per gallon versus worrying about catastrophic failure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts