Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I tend to agree with @DPK on this one, given your mileage and age. If you are still four months from annual, with 11K miles, I would change it. On mine, I had barely turned 6K miles when the year was up, so I did not do a change myself before that. I think that especially if you live in dusty conditions and are driving aggressively a change would be worthwhile peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that “break in oil” in new cars is no longer used.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I tend to agree with @DPK on this one, given your mileage and age. If you are still four months from annual, with 11K miles, I would change it. On mine, I had barely turned 6K miles when the year was up, so I did not do a change myself before that. I think that especially if you live in dusty conditions and are driving aggressively a change would be worthwhile peace of mind.
Yeah. I think you hit the nail on the head with the 'peace of mind' part.

I personally wouldn't bother, unless I was planning to keep the car indefinitely. But it's obviously not gonna hurt anything, even though it's probably not really necessary.

So if it's something that's gonna give you anxiety, go ahead and do it, but it probably makes little to no difference either way.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Really? People did their 1st oil change at 2000 /1500/ 6000/ 8000 Miles as I read above? Far less than the official suggested 16000 Miles / 1yr.
My 2017 F-Pace 35t currently @ its 11000 miles / 0.7 year, no oil change warning shown, yet. Should I book one, now?
Richard, this is a perusal preference. I think you will probably be fine going the 16k miles. **** that is why Jag is telling you to do. However, for me I'm more comfortable at 8k miles. and since Jag is picking every 16k up, I have no issue paying for every other 8k interval.

I also thanks to the forum found the siphon tube to change the oil myself if I want to do that at 40k (which would be the next one I will pay for). it right in the center of the oil fill cap. Go figure.

Reactions: richard and DPK

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I also thanks to the forum found the siphon tube to change the oil myself if I want to do that at 40k (which would be the next one I will pay for). it right in the center of the oil fill cap. Go figure.
There is also a Drain plug in the pan for the old fashioned conventional way to change oil..sucking out, leaves about an 1/8 of a qt in the bottom...Just an FYI.;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
FYI, my dealership uses the vacuum method from the top. They said that is the JLR Approved method.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
FYI, my dealership uses the vacuum method from the top. They said that is the JLR Approved method.
Of course they do..they all use that method..it is the quickest and easiest for them..

Mine will drain it out the bottom too if I ask them to..which is the best way as I said before..This will remove any sediments from break-in that lays on the bottom of the oil pan...However you where correct in your assumption that 'Break-in oil' IS NOT USED anymore..but the engine still goes through a so-called break in period within the first few thousand miles and the greatest amount of new engine wear happens during this time..so my first oil change like I SAID, was to drain it early and out the bottom...so that break-in crud in the original oil isn't circulating around with every new oil change.;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Invest in a good vacuum oil sucker from amazon and do it all from the topside... whether you want to hear it or not, most high end dealers do it this way, especially if more labor is involved to get to the pan plug. I have one and plan on doing the same. And yes, this oil currently is only at the dealerships or maybe 3rd party Ebay sellers. you won't find it a Wally world or AutoZone.....
Do you where I can get a good oil extractor ? Can you recommend one ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Do you where I can get a good oil extractor ? Can you recommend one ? Thanks
Mity vac is one of the better brand names out there. Search them on Amazon...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts