Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is almost 2000 mls and as old fashion I think it is time to do first oil change after brake-in.
OM does not show where is the drain plug and filter while service advisor told me there is no drain plug in 2017 F-pace S. Anybody changed oil on its own? Any photos, directions, sketches? Any known trouble?
I will appreciate input before I go under car on my own!
PS. do not like 16K oil change interval as OM-Service Schedule recommends, even when CASTROL Edge Professional 0-20 is used, (6 lit is specified). It can be found in AutoZone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The oil at autozone is not the correct Castrol oil. You need Castrol Edge Professional E 0w20. I have only found it at Jaguar dealers to date for $10.19 in Denver.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I've heard that their is a drain plug, but it's under/behind the bottom engine cover (black plastic). I hear their are several screws to pull to get that off to get at the plug. In addition to the oil that seems to be difficult to find, although not impossible, the dealer says the drain plug should be replaced when you remove it. I have no idea where the oil filter may be.

I had mine done twice by the dealership in 16k miles, first time (8k miles) I paid, $130 I believe and the second time (16k) it was covered at the normal annual maintenance.

Unless you really want to change it yourself, it may be easier to have the dealership do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've changed mine once at 6K miles on my own. Not a problem. I did replace the drain plug (AJ88461). The canister filter is accessible from the top (purchased the following: Motivx Tools 90mm 15 Flute Oil Filter Wrench for Land Rover & Jaguar - Fits 3.0L & 5.0L Gas Engines on Amazon). Purchased Castrol Edge Professional E 0W-20 off of Ebay from a reputable reseller. There are a few other manufacturers starting to manufacture to the JLR.51.5122 standard. There are a bunch of screws that need to be removed to remove the shield. If you PM me I can send you a PDF of the instructions from TOPIX.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I've changed mine once at 6K miles on my own. Not a problem. I did replace the drain plug (AJ88461). The canister filter is accessible from the top (purchased the following: Motivx Tools 90mm 15 Flute Oil Filter Wrench for Land Rover & Jaguar - Fits 3.0L & 5.0L Gas Engines on Amazon). Purchased Castrol Edge Professional E 0W-20 off of Ebay from a reputable reseller. There are a few other manufacturers starting to manufacture to the JLR.51.5122 standard. There are a bunch of screws that need to be removed to remove the shield. If you PM me I can send you a PDF of the instructions from TOPIX.
Spot on my friend, spot on...:)

I changed mine at 1500 miles..I too am old school and wanted to get out all the BREAK-IN junk out as well.

Reactions: theweeb and Jetman

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Invest in a good vacuum oil sucker from amazon and do it all from the topside... whether you want to hear it or not, most high end dealers do it this way, especially if more labor is involved to get to the pan plug. I have one and plan on doing the same. And yes, this oil currently is only at the dealerships or maybe 3rd party Ebay sellers. you won't find it a Wally world or AutoZone.....

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I take my hand and waive - er, WAVE my hand in approval for this!
DPK should feel honored !!! As I am going to take a wild guess that , yours is a VERY BUSY Hand !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
shbiv, I would like more information on the oil change. The specs that you gave are great for material but I would like more information on how to get this done. Thanks RLW

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whether the dealers do it or not the worst thing you can do is suck oil out of an engine and it is not the Jaguar Land Rover approved method. A drain plug is there for a good reason-------drain the oil via gravity with any particles of metal slithers that have been removed from a new engine's moving parts.

Reactions: Dakar09 and DPK

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,418 Posts
Buy a really good neodymium magnet. Like a 2? one and place it on the bottom of the oil pan. You will have to remove rhe plastic cover first and also clean the bottom of the area you want to place it with some degreaser and then some alcohol. Place it near the oil drain plug area. Now if there is any metal no matter how small it will not go anywhere as the magnet will keep it in places. Some cars even have magnetic drain plugs.

DP

Reactions: BRGPace

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Now if there is any metal no matter how small it will not go anywhere as the magnet will keep it in places. Some cars even have magnetic drain plugs.

DP
Most all decent cars have magnetic plugs... Even on new vehicles, very RARELY have I seen metal residue attached. Modern mfg practices and better filtration have practically eliminated that. I've done the suction thing for almost 4 years now, and just for giggles I pulled the plug on my JGC after "Sucking" it out and couldn't get a 1/2 cup more oil to drain from the plug after leaving it out for 10 min, and nothing stuck to the magnet... Good enough for me.... 4 OZ of oil in 8 quarts and filter replaced doesn't mean a diddily darn to that engine... again, that why most luxury dealerships do it this way...

Everything else is topside ! :D

Reactions: myjaguar and MTHM

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,418 Posts
Thanks for that info of 1/2 cup left over I was wondering how much if any is left over.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
There is already a magnet in the bottom of the pan...One thing Jaguar did right the first time.

Reactions: Dabitz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

Reading these posts, I'm wondering when should I get an oil change? I'm at 6K miles now. Is there a max number of miles for the F-Pace for the first oil change?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hello,

Reading these posts, I'm wondering when should I get an oil change? I'm at 6K miles now. Is there a max number of miles for the F-Pace for the first oil change?
Thank you in advance.
Keep driving. The car will alert you somewhere between 1000 to 1500 miles left for service due whenever you start the car. You will see that also on your jaguar remote. Most important to remember is that you bring your car for service before your one year or 16k miles which ever comes first.
I just had mine done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Keep driving. The car will alert you somewhere between 1000 to 1500 miles left for service due whenever you start the car. You will see that also on your jaguar remote. Most important to remember is that you bring your car for service before your one year or 16k miles which ever comes first.
I just had mine done.
Thank you myjaguar!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Spot on my friend, spot on...:)

I changed mine at 1500 miles..I too am old school and wanted to get out all the BREAK-IN junk out as well.
My car is almost 2000 mls and as old fashion I think it is time to do first oil change after brake-in.
OM does not show where is the drain plug and filter while service advisor told me there is no drain plug in 2017 F-pace S. Anybody changed oil on its own? Any photos, directions, sketches? Any known trouble?
I will appreciate input before I go under car on my own!
PS. do not like 16K oil change interval as OM-Service Schedule recommends, even when CASTROL Edge Professional 0-20 is used, (6 lit is specified). It can be found in AutoZone.
I've heard that their is a drain plug, but it's under/behind the bottom engine cover (black plastic). I hear their are several screws to pull to get that off to get at the plug. In addition to the oil that seems to be difficult to find, although not impossible, the dealer says the drain plug should be replaced when you remove it. I have no idea where the oil filter may be.

I had mine done twice by the dealership in 16k miles, first time (8k miles) I paid, $130 I believe and the second time (16k) it was covered at the normal annual maintenance.

Unless you really want to change it yourself, it may be easier to have the dealership do it.

Really? People did their 1st oil change at 2000 /1500/ 6000/ 8000 Miles as I read above? Far less than the official suggested 16000 Miles / 1yr.
My 2017 F-Pace 35t currently @ its 11000 miles / 0.7 year, no oil change warning shown, yet. Should I book one, now?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Really? People did their 1st oil change at 2000 /1500/ 6000/ 8000 Miles as I read above? Far less than the official suggested 16000 Miles / 1yr.
My 2017 F-Pace 35t currently @ its 11000 miles / 0.7 year, no oil change warning shown, yet. Should I book one, now?
Rich..I understand your concern if it is sincere..But only at 16,000 miles or one year will the Service Reminder begin to display..up until one of those two limitations are met, you won't see the message..A lot of us feel that a preemptive first oil change will better serve the engine long term to get the original break-in oil and material out...I'll be the first to admit, it is probably over-kill or just being anal..but it is a cheap piece of mind to know I got the original oil and gunk out before the first regularly scheduled change a year from now..call it old school thinking if you like....Maybe not necessary, but certainly can't hurt is the way I look at it..;)

Reactions: richard
1 - 20 of 27 Posts