Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My F-Pace is lower via H&R Springs

Hi all, I wanted to get some input out to you guys if any of you are looking to lower your F-Paces. I realize this is a fringe upgrade that probably will only be done by those of us who really want a slightly lowered look and to perhaps get a slightly different ride and better handling.

My goals with lowering were that I wanted to trim the ride height quite a bit in the back since I think the stock look of the F-Pace has the back jacked up a little bit. This also got a little worse when they installed the new isolators as when that was done my F-Pace gained about a half inch in height at the rear.

I also wanted to go with progressive springs to soften up that first inch or so of spring movement to take the initial harshness away from the F-Paces ride.

Additionally, I wanted to get rid of a bit of the bounciness that the F-Pace exhibits in the corners on undulating road surfaces when you get aggressive with driving.

I looked at options for doing a spring replacement, lowering springs, or full coil over replacements, etc. and I settled on going with H&R's progressive rate lowering springs. These were not overly expensive at $350, but the install is a bit of an effort, so if you don't have the ability to get them installed at a discount or by yourself, my guess is you could pay close to $800 to get this fully installed with the cost of the springs. In my case, my son and I did the install at his shop so almost a Zero install cost.

As for the install. The Front install, which I thought would be the hardest part, was pretty much straight forward. It was the rear due to the multipoint rear suspension design that was the hard part. Overall the install took us about 2 to 3 hours. As a side note, I did go with what the Topix directions suggested and I replaced any bolt or nut that was recommended to be replaced. Doing that ended up costing another $250, and I really think that is probably overkill. I've talked to several folks on that point and the bolts and nuts are aluminum and therefore once torqued tend to loose some holding, at least that is what I've been told, but others also said that is crap. So I went the safe route, but you guys could skip that if you feel so and save some money there.

I have my stock springs and I was absolutely set to reinstall them if I wasn't happy with the ride. So the result is...

The H&R springs achieved all of my goals almost spot on. The only thing I'm somewhat disappointed with at this point is that where the rear settled is a bit lower than what they said it would be. The rear came down almost 2 inches and the front a little over 1 inch. It was supposed to be an 1.2 inch drop all around. I'm ok with the ride height in the rear for day to day driving, I'm not hitting at all when driving, even with my oversized tires. However, I am somewhat concerned how the car will handle towing my boat. I have not tried that yet. More to come on that.

The ride is exactly what I wanted. Ride over light bumps is softer, kind of like going from 45lbs to 35 lbs in the tires all over again. So I find the ride more compliant over the little stuff, but it gets progressively stiffer as the bumps get bigger. That initial inch of progressive compliance though softens up even the bigger bumps inside the cabin. I found the cabin is much quieter due to this. The handling is markedly better in the corners as the car stays planted better, but still soaks up the bumps it needs to soak up in the right way and there is absolutely no bounciness anymore.

The other thing I noticed is that the suspension adjustments for Normal and Dynamic are stretched further apart now. Normal isn't as bouncy, and is more comfortable and much better normal setting to me. Dynamic is just that, a lot more dynamic and you get stronger handling over normal with the H&R springs than you did with stock springs. You more clearly noticed the stiffened suspension when jumping to Dynamic.

So how does it look? Pics below. You should be able to tell the lowered car, from the non-lowered car pretty easily. I think this is a look that some will like others, not so much. I think the lowered car does look better to me, therefore with the handling and ride improvements I've seen, I'm going to keep the coils on the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
You can definitely tell its lowered... not for me at all but I don't think it looks bad per se. I just don't like when the tires are that close to the wheel well but not terrible.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Absolutely love it! Your thorough write up basically covered all of my questions. My only concern is whether there is any reduction in clearance from bottoming out. Have you tried testing on any significant incline or decline (i.e. Driveway or large speed bumps)? Congrats on the upgrade!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jman97, I actually like both looks, but the higher one I would want to put knobby tires on it and make it an offload vehicle! But that's me. Obviously, I like the lowered look, although I would like the front and rear to be more in synch with their tire gap. To me the back is about a 1/2 inch too low now, but it looks better than the 3 inch gap that was there stock.

theRamsta, I haven't noticed any difference in going up and down driveways or over speed bumps at all to be honest. I think the top rate of the progressive spring is higher by a bit over the stock spring. Therefore, bottoming should end up being around the same amount of force. The issue will be where you go sideways 45 degree angle up a driveway or across a small ridge. I'm assuming with my setup vs stock, that a tire will come off the ground sooner for me than a stock F-Pace now. I haven't put my F-Pace in that position yet. I'll have to try, but it would be great to see a stock one and mine side by side when we do that to see the difference. maybe at our next meet! :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Jman97, I actually like both looks, but the higher one I would want to put knobby tires on it and make it an offload vehicle! But that's me. Obviously, I like the lowered look, although I would like the front and rear to be more in synch with their tire gap. To me the back is about a 1/2 inch too low now, but it looks better than the 3 inch gap that was there stock.

theRamsta, I haven't noticed any difference in going up and down driveways or over speed bumps at all to be honest. I think the top rate of the progressive spring is higher by a bit over the stock spring. Therefore, bottoming should end up being around the same amount of force. The issue will be where you go sideways 45 degree angle up a driveway or across a small ridge. I'm assuming with my setup vs stock, that a tire will come off the ground sooner for me than a stock F-Pace now. I haven't put my F-Pace in that position yet. I'll have to try, but it would be great to see a stock one and mine side by side when we do that to see the difference. maybe at our next meet! :)
Agreed, for me it is the rear tire that throws it off. Seems a little to close to the wheel well but the front looks sort of OEM. If there was a way to have them in sync I may look into getting this done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lowered

I think it looks way better lowered. Especially with your aftermarket wheels and quicksilver exhaust. I already have the H&R Springs, just waiting for my F-Pace.

It is too bad the front and back don't match. A member on the form "RMR" has a picture in the gallery with his lowered, he has the same H&R Springs and it looks totally even. There's got to be a way to fix that.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it looks way better lowered. Especially with your aftermarket wheels and quicksilver exhaust. I already have the H&R Springs, just waiting for my F-Pace.

It is too bad the front and back don't match. A member on the form "RMR" has a picture in the gallery with his lowered, he has the same H&R Springs and it looks totally even. There's got to be a way to fix that.
I think it may be that the car needs to settle a bit over time, but the F-Pace is supposed to have a 50/50 balance so maybe not. I also think RMR's springs were prototypes or an early versions from what I've heard from the guys I bought my springs from. Looking at his pic again below, I don't think there is a big difference between mine and his now from what I can see, as it looks like his front still has a little more gap then the back. The sun and shadows may be playing a bit of a trick on the eye in his pic, but I think the gaps look similar to mine.

In any case, would be eager to see someone else with these installed and see if you find the same gaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice pictures~!
I'm considering between this kit and the KW adjustable one. I always worry if lowering springs can't get the front and rear consistent.
RMR's one looks ok to me though...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice pictures~!
I'm considering between this kit and the KW adjustable one. I always worry if lowering springs can't get the front and rear consistent.
RMR's one looks ok to me though...
The KW kit is nearly 3 times the cost of just the springs, but it does say that you will get the same max lowering that the H&Rs give you, so that would give you the ability to raise the rear a bit if you end up in a situation where the gap isn't balanced.

I decided to save the money by going with the H&Rs, plus I've used H&R lowering springs on all of past lowered cars and I've been very happy with the ride quality. However if you want that adjustability, the KW kit would be the way to go.

by the way, it's been a little over the week with the springs in the car and it has settled a bit. I measured the gap last night and while there is a difference front to rear it is only .25 of an inch. So I think the RMR F-Pace and mine are really sitting the same now for those of you thinking about the H&R springs.

Reactions: ckkcmx5

·
Registered
575 Posts
This looks fantastic. Progressives are the way to go, and H&R is the most trusted brand of springs (imho).

When you say "it settled more", do you mean the front came down a bit more?

But my real question is about the warranty. Are you not worried about that any longer? I imagine Jag would give you grief if a suspension component needed to be repaired or replaced and they saw the aftermarket springs.

Great job and great write-up!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dakar,

With respect to the settling comment, I actually think the front has settled a tiny bit more than the back, both pics of the lowered car above were done immediately following the installation (heck the one pic is in the shop before the car was even driven and the other is in a stream and it's clear the F-Pace isn't on level ground so I think that bigger gap at the front there is a little assisted). The real difference front to back with the H&Rs after a week is a .25 of an inch. Not really noticeable. If I get a chance I'll take some pics now after this rain stops and post them.

With respect to the warrantee comment, I've put lowering springs on a number of my vehicles when they were still under warrantee. I did that with my Infiniti M45, Accord Coupe, Acura TL S. In all 3 cases, I had no warrantee issues when I had problems with transmissions, or all wheel steering, or engine issues or any items like that. If I had a strut go bad though, which never happened, I wouldn't expect Honda or Infiniti or Jaguar now, to cover that strut via warrantee since I put lowering springs on my car and I'm good with that, I may try to get them to cover it, but I would get clearly why they wouldn't want to. However, if Jaguar, decided not to fix a cooling issue with my engine due to the lowering springs, I would clearly be getting into some discussions with them and maybe even sending them a letter from my lawyer. For instance, with my TL S, I had a super charger on the V6 with 80k miles and i lost a transmission. I got them to cover that transmission under warrantee, mainly due to the fact that the transmission had already failed once before the super charger and there was a known issue with that trans. Likewise if my F-Pace has an issue with Cooling, or the engine or the other things that are being seen on other F-paces in the wild and I can document it, I would push pretty hard for that issue to be covered.

With Jag, I could see them really stretching and saying they wouldn't fix my front differential again if I ended up getting a leak due to the fact that I lowered the car and changed the angles of the wheel axle shafts. However, I would clearly point out for them that Jag already replaced that part once and others are still having issues with it and they aren't lowered, so Jag "are you saying me lowering caused the new issue when you already had and existing issue with the part?"

However, I won't be putting a chip and supercharger pulley upgrade on my F-Pace until I'm really close to the end of the factory warrantee. I really want to do that upgrade, but I think that would be pushing the envelope a little on warrantee coverage for big parts like the Engine, transmission and driveline.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Awesome response, PA. This is my thought process exactly with modifying vehicles under warranty, but it's good to hear your thoughts on it. This is definitely something I'd consider doing.

I will say that I'm unimpressed with the handling in "Normal" mode on this car. The ride is pretty good, but not the chassis dynamics when you get into the turns. I leave it in that mode during parts of my commute as the roads are pure &@^$! in some spots, and aren't conducive to Dynamic mode. I think the progressive springs could really help with that. And more dynamic Dynamic mode would always be welcome!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it is only a 1/4" difference, then that is totally acceptable. The photo of the F-Pace in the water looks like a full 1 inch difference, but it can be decieving with shadow.

It would be cool to see a new photo with is settled more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
PA-FPACE -F,

I got the same lowering springs and yes, it drops the rear much lower than 1.2". Mine is also 1/4" lower in the back and it does bug me. Did you try to get the camber adjusted? I notice on the back wheels, the camber is definitely noticeable angled.

Also any new photos of yours?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
JesusK1,

Your F-Pace looks great, love the wheels.

What tires are you running? I have the exact same lowering springs and 22X10.5 wheels (not the same wheel brand though) and my F-Pace looks to be sitting lower than yours. The only thing that makes sense to me is that your setup uses a smaller diameter tire. I'm running 285/35 22 Conti's, which are 29.9 inches in diameter.

I'm interested since I'm not happy as to how low my F-Pace sits in the rear and I'm wondering if an insulator was perhaps skipped on the installation.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That looks awesome!!!

You have the part # for the springs (what size, length, spring rate, etc.)? Do you have Adaptive Dynamics on that bad boy?

How does it ride?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts