Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my F-pace in three weeks ago for the 15K service and a myriad of recall notices. I mentioned to my SA that my vehicle was making a strange noise from the engine bay. When it was returned to me, I was told that the noise that I heard was within normal range. However, I was not comfortable with what I was told as the noise continued to get louder. I sent my Sell's Rep, who happens to do her own wrenching, a video of the noise coming from the engine compartment. She contacted the service department and they were like bring the car in this week. Well I dropped it off today and the SA was flabbergasted that the noise was still coming from the car. Additionally, he went and brought in the service foreman who was astonished that the vehicle's engine was making the strange noise at such a high decibel. Fast forward, I chatted with my Sell's Rep who informed me that the service foreman said that it was very bad. How bad, well the service foreman mentioned to me that the super charger could be bad or some other major engine problem. Sorry for the long post, but has anyone else had similar problems?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Whole things was very confusing... who is the sells rep and whats wrenching? Sounds very fishy, sorry to say, with the whole service person being shocked that a strange sound coming from the engine isn't normal after he said it was normal then another service guy was astonished but originally they gave it back to you and said everything was just fine... Update when you hear anything else but everything just sounds strange :confused:.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jman97, wrenching is a person that is capable of doing their own maintenance or a "gear head". Also, I don't believe that the service foreman was the same individual that looked at my car when it went in for the 15K service. However, he did confirm that something bad is going on with my car, possibly the supercharger. Hopefully, this makes things a little clearer...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Before a Mod interferes and wants to close the thread....Sells rep means Sales Rep that happens to be a female who also does her own maintenance or is so inclined...I DON'T BELIEVE Jman is not making fun, just not understanding some of what the OP WROTE.

I hope they get it solved and back to you soon..I know superchargers can self implode and make a racket going in that direction...Perhaps you caught it in time, before it did any damage to the engine.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Not making fun at all, whenever there is someone with low post count, no picture of there car and they say something detrimental is probably going on with the F-pace I get a little bit suspicious. Its just weird to me that on the first visit whoever looked at your car said it was normal and everything was fine then a week later or whenever it was taken back in the sound was not normal and they were very concerned.
Could be overthinking it and thats why I said to update us when you hear anything more but this is the first time I'm hearing anything of the sort concerning engine noise so hopefully its just a one off type of situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
DPK, I wasn't offended by Jman97 comments. I had a lot on my mind returning from the dealership and I wanted to share with the forum hoping that someone may have experienced something similar... However, once I went back and reviewed my post, I realized that I was vague in some key areas... Also, I checked the forums for supercharger issues and I did not see any. I hope the service department comes back with a better diagnosis.

Jman97, I tried to upload a pic of my car to complete my profile, but for some reason I couldn't figure it out. Also, I don't post very often, but I do try to remain abreast of what's going on with the F-Pace. The situation with my car is probably rare, but nonetheless, there is a problem. I was only asking if anyone had had similar issues. Will post again once I hear back from the dealership. ~gdc

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
DPK, I wasn't offended by Jman97 comments. I had a lot on my mind returning from the dealership and I wanted to share with the forum hoping that someone may have experienced something similar... However, once I went back and reviewed my post, I realized that I vague in some key areas... Also, I checked the forums for supercharger issues and I did not see any. I hope the service department comes back with a better diagnosis.

Jman97, I tried to upload a pic of my car to complete my profile, but for some reason I couldn't figure it out. Also, I don't post very often, but I do try to remain abreast of what's going on with the F-Pace. The situation with my car is probably rare, but nonetheless, there is a problem. I was only asking if anyone had had similar issues. Will post again once I hear back from the dealership. ~gdc
I gotcha, no worries. I think its only right to question someone when they have such a serious issue that hasn't been reported, accompanied by low post count and no pic and you could see why it looks a tad suspicious, again not accusing just being aware :). Like I said, please update when you hear back. I would also question the dealer on why they would return your vehicle to you with the same engine sound saying it was fine but then a week later someone else checked it and was very concerned, I would be very annoyed with their service department if that is the case because it sounds like they just let your concern go in one ear and out the other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jman97 and everyone else,

The supercharger was not the culprit. The techs discovered the idler pulley (I have the slightest idea what that is or what it does) was separating. They replaced the idler pulley and the drive belt per JTB00551. I was able to get my car back before going into the weekend.

Have a great weekend!
~gdc

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

The supercharger was not the culprit. The techs discovered the idler pulley (I have the slightest idea what that is or what it does) was separating. They replaced the idler pulley and the drive belt per JTB00551. I was able to get my car back before going into the weekend.

Have a great weekend!
~gdc
Good news, I was skeptical it was something major because Jaguars supercharged V6 is probably the most reliable engine being used currently. Glad it was something easily fixed! Enjoy :)

Reactions: gtdac and DPK

·
Registered
517 Posts

Have a great weekend!
~gdc
Thank you for reporting back. It's always good to hear how these issues get resolved.

·
Registered
575 Posts

Have a great weekend!
~gdc
Idler pulleys take up the slack in the serpentine belt system. They can definitely make an alarming noise when they fail (though the part was probably defective from the get-go) and have an absolutely debilitating effect on the engine if they fail....the belt tension slips or worse, it breaks. I believe these are belt driven superchargers on these engines (?) so I can see why they might suspect the supercharger at first. Glad they fixed it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you describe the noise it was making? I have a similar "odd" noise coming from mine, but my concern is that it is louder when the engine is cold so I don't think it is the idler pulley. It is faint (can only hear it with A/C and music off), but one of those "a new car shouldn't make his noise" kind of noises. Mine is in the shop for its 1st scheduled maintenance, so the are looking at it then. If they say it is normal I may ask to test drive another F-Pace to make sure it sounds the same for piece of mind. The noise I am hearing is more like a clicking or a gear whine kind of noise.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Can you describe the noise it was making? I have a similar "odd" noise coming from mine, but my concern is that it is louder when the engine is cold so I don't think it is the idler pulley. It is faint (can only hear it with A/C and music off), but one of those "a new car shouldn't make his noise" kind of noises. Mine is in the shop for its 1st scheduled maintenance, so the are looking at it then. If they say it is normal I may ask to test drive another F-Pace to make sure it sounds the same for piece of mind. The noise I am hearing is more like a clicking or a gear whine kind of noise.
Does it sound kind of like this??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TOA-Pilot, I generally drive without music or other audio, therefore, it was easier for me to hear the noise. In my case, it was very noticeable. It sounded like a fluttering within the engine compartment. Initially it was kind of faint sounding, but after several weeks the neighbors could hear me coming down the street. At this price point, if it wasn't the exhaust note, then something was obviously wrong. Hopefully, they figure out what's wrong with your vehicle too.

R,
gdc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts