Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been an interesting experience driving a 2018 F-Pace S for the last 3 months.

My personal observations based on my likes and dislikes. Your experience my vary. Options may be different in your neck of the woods.

The driving experience in town, on highways, winding country roads, and gravel surfaces has been top notch, excellent, great, and exhilarating!
My off-road experience has been ok.
I don’t have much off road driving to compare to, other than owning a Durango 20 years ago when I drove on gravel and dirt roads regularly. That Durango was the worst car among the 40 or so cars I have long term leased to date, a combination of three year leases and many shorter monthly rentals.
In the SUV category I have leased an Acura MDX, Ford Escape, Jeep Cherokee, Evoque, Audi Q5.
My recent leases went from the dark side, a BMW 5, to a great Jag XF, Evoque, and back to the XF after a not so great Evoque experience.

In Comparison to the Evoque, the F-Pace is heads and shoulders over the Evoque. in acceleration, size, driveability, quietness, and of course Price. Not a fair comparison to the F-Pace but a comparison to the Escape, a cheaper car, and to the more expensive Q5, which is a very well rounded Lux SUV.

The F-Paces best attributes are first, Style. You don’t win a World car award for style unless it is generally agreed by car pros that it has great style in spades.

Drivability. That term encompasses many factors.
-Acceleration is great at all legal speeds, no lag anywhere. Just the sound of the exhaust purring to a growl puts a smile on most faces. Some grandmas may object ;-)
-Heading into and out of steep curves for a car of its weight and size is above reproach, actually fun to do so.
-The suspension is on the firm side on flat and curvy winding roads, exactly what you would want. A bit uncomfortable on big large bumps, and on pot holed streets which seem to be the norm in northern cities. On maintained streets it’s above perfect, you would love to drive on these and winding roads forever.
-Under and over steer is exceptional. It’s a drivers car with little to none wish washy feeling in all circumstances.

-Quietness is only 8 out of 10, after all it’s a Sports SUV

-Interior look is subjective. Like the award winning style award. I’n my opinion it’s not a WoW Interior. A friend of mine however, loves the simplicity of the interior. At this price level Jag could have done better in interior style and perceived quality of material use. Is it a reason to not purchase it?, absolutely Not.
-The quality sports aerated bottom seats are bit snug with my back pants wallet being a distraction unless positioned just right. I am 5’7” and 180 pounds and 15-20 pounds overweight overall, I guess. So I think the bottom seat, in my case, is too tight. I guess the wallet is gotta go. The back however is adjustable so it perfectly contours to my back. Great. The thigh extender and all other seat controls are good.
-Trunk space is great, bigger than the Q5, especially with the seats down. Seat release is good.
-Opening closing the tailgate lid with a sweep of the foot, works great on either side when you position yourself correctly.
-The activity key lets you keep your keys in the car. Great for the beach and camping where you sometimes have to leave your gear unattended.
-A/C and heat output controls, along with wiper and typical controls are good. Two exceptions could be improved. The lack of a sound mute button and the clunky volume controls could be improved. Minor distractions overall.
-Interior Lighting, if you don’t have the Lux pack it could be improved. The interior light levels are somber and can’t be increased unless one adds a USB light source. The curved LED lighting in the doors and the exterior puddle light, are often noticed by new passengers and it just gives that extra quality feel.

-ICTP Pro on my 2018 is great. I always have preferred a touch screen to the mouse style interfaces. For some reason mouse interfaces made me slightly nauseated. It’s intuitive where it has to be for the usual day to day features that I use. Other features less so, then again, until all cars are standardized, which seems will never occur, I have to re-learn how to use the new car interfaces every 3 years when the lease expires.
-The Nav system is a century ahead of the Jag 2013 XF I leased. Not as good as Google Maps and Waze. If I could only easily connect my iPhone to the Nav screen....
-The Spotify music and Sticher radio app works great once it connects, which can be clunky sometimes. A software upgrade can improve that.
-The Meridian sound system once tuned to your preference is a quality system. Is it the best out there for the price? I can’t really judge. I am more than pleased especially while using Spotify.

-Proximity alerts systems can be improved, probably with software upgrades. I am not absolutely sure if I am too close when approaching an object. The reverse video camera wide angle lens shows you to be further away than you visually than you actually are. You just have to get used to it, since car models seem to have their own quirks.

-Driving alerts when activated are great. In good weather the traffic lanes are well recognized with the steering wheel vibrating on cue. Road signs read and displayed on the HUD which is a pleasure to use. Approaching the car ahead of you too quickly will sound an alert, which can be annoying in city driving, and manually toggled off, but you shouldn’t. I believe every car should have this alert safety feature as standard. Why? Distracted drivers are now the norm rather than the exception. Drivers on phones, texting, fiddling with their car electronics, loud music and loud distracting passengers are now the norm, increasing the chance of getting into fender benders and deadly accidents. It has been reported that after years of declining deadly accidents, they are now on the upswing. Conjecture is all the in car driver distractions is the primary reason.
-Automatic braking. This feature alone is worth the extra price for the upgrade. I was driving down a tight curvy country road when a bicyclist from the other side of the road ventured partially into my lane. I had zero time to react. The F-Pace did it all on its own, literaly slamming on the brakes and just avoiding the errant cyclist. The F-Pace probably saved his life.

In summary, the exterior sporty shape and just the right overall added accents on the body work of the S is what first attracted me to the model. The Sport version is also well very attuned. It’s a head turner by all accounts. One of the few cars that I have leased that people go out of their way to tell me how great it looks. Beauty after awhile is taken for granted. Drivability and performance is what really makes this sporty SUV a pleasure to drive and appreciate. After a 3 month glitch free experience it’s been beyond reproach.

Of the cars I have driven, and test driven in the last few years, it’s overall feel, drivabilty, and performance is outstanding. If you are considering a SUV in this price range you will be greatly pleased.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very useful review. Really covers it. thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome review, it's nice getting other fpace owner's veiwpoints of the vehicle!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I appreciate your extensive comments as F-Pace is on my short list for MY19. Especially after following a flat bedded one for several miles yesterday!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts