Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Was hoping to find an answer to this exact question. Did you have any luck getting answers TOadvocate?

I just placed an order on a new F-Pace today! Heading into the purchase I was pretty sure I didn't want the extended warranty. Then after more thought... I'm not so sure. I plan to keep the vehicle for 10 years. I'd imagine repairs on this car can add up, but the price of the extended warranty was a lot higher than I thought it would be.

The dealer I purchased from uses "Autoxtra" for their extended warranties. I can't even find a website on these guys. Anybody heard of them or had any experience with extended warranties in Canada?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Was hoping to find an answer to this exact question. Did you have any luck getting answers TOadvocate?

I just placed an order on a new F-Pace today! Heading into the purchase I was pretty sure I didn't want the extended warranty. Then after more thought... I'm not so sure. I plan to keep the vehicle for 10 years. I'd imagine repairs on this car can add up, but the price of the extended warranty was a lot higher than I thought it would be.

The dealer I purchased from uses "Autoxtra" for their extended warranties. I can't even find a website on these guys. Anybody heard of them or had any experience with extended warranties in Canada?
Some times it is better to wait to buy an extended warranty. You can usually purchase an extended warranty(not always through the Manufacturer) up to the time your original warranty expires. No use buying an extended warranty until you sure you are really going to use it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Understood. But the advantage of purchasing it at the time of sale is being able to include it in your monthly payments at the secured rate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For what it's worth, at the time of our delivery (last September) there was no extended warranty available directly from Jaguar.

If an OEM extended warranty should become available prior to the expiry of the factory warranty, we would certainly be interested. Otherwise we'll simply take our chances (aka increase our budget for upkeep and repairs).

Methinks that any major issues will have manifested themselves long before the warranty is up, and one would have a good sense of how the F-Pace would fare beyond that.

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
When I bought mine in June of last year the dealer wanted over $4K US and I said no thank you. I know you are looking for people from CAN to answer but I thought you might be interested in a US number quoted by a dealer. I don't know if that was a JLR backed warranty but with 5 yr 60K mile warranty I didn't think it was necessary as I put fewer miles on these days.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Every response is appreciated. I do put a lot of miles on the vehicle as well.

There are 4 packages. The most expensive is a 8 year/ 290,000 km warranty. It costs $9,000! ($6,700 US). That's pretty insane. I'm thinking I'm going to roll the dice for now and get a better idea once I'm in the final year of my warranty.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
as I put fewer miles on these days.
Apparently , YOU are *VERY TIGHT* with your mileage !!! Because YOU won't even join us for the *MEET & GREET* in April !!! We already have *5* Jersey Boyz signed up , you could be #6 !!!
Come On !!! You can do it !!! ;)

I will have to require you to remove your *Moderator Hat* for the MEET , and just be one of us for the day !!! >:)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Every response is appreciated. I do put a lot of miles on the vehicle as well.

There are 4 packages. The most expensive is a 8 year/ 290,000 km warranty. It costs $9,000! ($6,700 US). That's pretty insane. I'm thinking I'm going to roll the dice for now and get a better idea once I'm in the final year of my warranty.
Is that *OUTRAGEOUS* FEE for *8-years* after the original *5-year* warranty , or are you really only getting *3* extra years for that money ??? If so , then that is just silly !!! Cause the first *5* years , is a FREEBIE from Jag !!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
We don't get 5 years in Canada. We get 4 years or 80,000 km. But yes, that is the cost for 8 TOTAL years (including the manufacturer's warranty).

·
Registered
133 Posts
At $6700 I'd simply invest my money elsewhere and take my chances.

Tata has really been cracking the whip on quality improvement to the point that anything post-2012 seems to have appropriate levels of durability and reliability.

Sure, something catastrophic could happen post-warranty, but at that point $6700 would represent 20%+ or more of the depreciated value of the vehicle and one could make a judgment call as to if/how it's repaired, including used parts. Especially if a deductible is involved.

Of greater concern is that 3rd party warranty companies, as good as some of them are; are still insurance companies and will look for ways to hinder/defeat/delay your claim.

YMMV

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm picking up my F-Pace later today. When I was buying the car last week, all the extended warrantee options were from a 3rd-party vendor. I told the rep that if it was a Jaguar bumper-to-bumper extended warrantee, I would most likely purchase it. But going with a 3rd party is sketchy to me - there was a huge list of everything that was covered. I wasn't about to read through the list. I asked what wasn't covered, and he couldn't really tell me.

I don't recall the pricing (there were multiple levels of years/km), but they were all expensive. I'll take my chances with just the 4yr/80,000km and go from there.

F.

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not clear on this based on the discussion does Jaguar Canada offer an extended warranty and if so by when do you have to purchase it? It seems from post 13 the answer is no.

That is both concerning and odd. If they want to start to compete with BMW which is a stated goal then Jag better offer what BMW offers its owners.

My last vehicle was a BNW and definitely BMW Canada did offer an extended warranty and it had to be purchased anytime before the basic warranty expired by time or mileage.

The BMW extended warranty offered options on time, mileage and what was covered.

In Canada as mentioned our basic coverage is only 4 years not 5 and I believe 80K.

I am going to dealer tomorrow to deal with some rattles in the front dash, more of a buzzing sound and when I am their, I am going to inquire about an extended warranty. Only interested in one from Jaguar not a third party insurer.

I usually decline extended warranties on such items as appliances and electronics but a vehicle especially a Jag is a little different. I am very low mileage about 12K per year and trade no more than 5 years. My pattern has been to buy slightly used usually no more than a year old so the vehicle usually has some low mileage, the last BIMMER was 6 months old with 6K Miles ( I purchased it in the US and imported it myself at a time when the Canadian Dollar was 105 to the US dollar).

The Jag I bought brand new and had not done that for years and preordered to my specs I like this vehicle so much that I might just keep it for an extra year or two. That would mean up to three years without coverage unless I purchased an extended warranty. With the cost of parts and service on this vehicle even if I went to a private garage that specialized in Jag, the peace and mind of an extended warranty is worth it of course depending on cost. Since my mileage is low that usually brings down the cost significantly if I choose a low mileage optiion.

When I had the BIMMER, BMW Canada was offering a discount on their extended warranties when my basic warranty had about 1 year to go, I should have bought it and I likely would have kept the vehicle another year or two.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jaguar Canada does not currently offer extended warranties. All dealerships are offering 3rd party warranties.

And you're right. That IS concerning. I've decided to decline the warranty upon delivery. I'm hoping Jaguar gets their act together and implements an extended warranty so that I can take advantage of it before my 4yr/80k is up.

I'll tell the dealer I would be purchasing the full warranty if it came from Jaguar Canada. Hopefully you guys do as well.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I wouldn't consider a third party warranty. Too many horror stories about coverage. And companies going out of business and you're left with nothing. I'm sure many had good experiences, but as a general rule if you're going to get one, I would only buy a manufacturer's warranty.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I would think at the point your factory warranty would be over , you would have a flavor of if the vehicle is going to be dependable or not. With 5/60, this is one vehicle I am NOT going to buy any extended warranty on.
If it is doing extremely well, I may keep it 6-7 yrs.. but if it is a struggle it will go at the end of 5/60.... As fast as car technology is moving today, a 5 yr old car is pretty old technology wise....Not to mention if it's 5k+ for any ext. warranty..I'd take my chances ! JMHO

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wouldn't consider a third party warranty. Too many horror stories about coverage. And companies going out of business and you're left with nothing. I'm sure many had good experiences, but as a general rule if you're going to get one, I would only buy a manufacturer's warranty.
And it doesn't hurt to investigate how a 'factory warranty' is being provided. I learned this lesson the hard way many years ago with VW. I'd purchased a new Jetta (aka The Evil Jetta) and at the time VW was including a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty that was purported to be a VW one.

Suffice it to say, given the number of problems that POS Jetta had, it was quickly discovered that an aftermarket warranty company was underwriting the repairs. So even if the car had been dragged into the dealer because it was inoperable; a dealer could not start work until authorization was provided by the 3rd party.

If a proper JLR extended warranty does become available prior to the expiry of the factory warranty, and at a reasonable cost, I would be interested.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was at my dealer today and spoke to the Sales Manager. No extended warranty presently offered by Jaguar but the dealers are pressing Jaguar to offer one. Sales Manager thinks that if one is offered one option is for two more years and 160k for about $3500. I that come about I would think about it seriously but not unit the time runs our to buy the extended warranty which is near the end of the standard warranty period.

What is bizarre is that Jaguar offers extended warranties for qualified used Jaguars purchased at the dealer but not new vehicles. You would think that new vehicle owners would get at least equal opportunity to protect their investment.

The Sales Manager told me that some dealers to get around the new/used issue are buying the vehicle back from the owner and then immediately reselling it back at the same price so there is no tax consequence and then issuing a used vehicle warranty. He told me kind of shady they would not do it and Jaguar could always cancel the extended warranty and refund the monies.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts