Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm looking for about 10 years of ownership, which will fall to around 130k miles. Every month, I'm putting $100 into the kitty (no pun intended... or maybe it is). That's my extended warranty.

It's sitting there in a separate "i'll access it only for car repairs" savings account (well... much like taxes, there are always exceptions). It's be part of my monthly budget.

Been doing this for 25 years now (although I admit I have skipped some months here and there -- and yes, a few times I've withdrawn for non-car reasons) and I've never been crunched for any $$$ due to unplanned car repairs. The most i've ever taken out for this is a bit over 2k when someone who shall rename nameless backed into a light post, but there have been plenty of >$500 withdrawals due to needed car stuff. I have quite the pool of car-repair money now, so unless the engine falls out of this thing between years 5 and 10; I should be fine (and even then...).

It's a good practice to get into. A $100 (earlier in my life it was much less, but the idea still stands) every month is much better than an unanticipated $4500 on some random month.

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F Pace 35t R Sport
468 Posts
I agree with many of you that, in principle, extended warranties are a gamble that the house doesn't lose. I don't usually buy them, and these days original warranties last as long, or longer, than I keep a car.

But I've had one for my TBird since I bought it when it was five years old, seven years ago as a fun, extra & part-time show car. Considering their history, that's the age when sometimes things start to go south. Ford offered an Extended Service Plan that covers virtually any contingency, except hoses, tires, and such. It could be bought from any Ford dealer, and some offered very competitive prices. They're good at any Ford service department anywhere, no questions asked, with $50 or $100 deductibles. Timespan to purchase them was limited, and they were available only until last year for the final model year of TBirds. I bought my last one then, good for another five years, for $2155 total, with $50 deductible. One semi-major repair in those five years will make it worthwhile, and a 12 to 17 year-old car is quite likely to need it. A tranny or A/C unit would do it.

I've been buying the plan throughout the seven years I've had the car, and it has always paid for itself for minor repairs.

I probably wouldn't buy an aftermarket plan - couldn't be confident it would always be honored. Ford's own plan is a sure thing anywhere.

Finally, the plan is transferable. I figure I may sell the car when the plan still has a year to go. This should be a terrific incentive to a buyer is is uneasy about an "orphan" marque car with questionable availability of good service.

As for the F-Pace; nah. Its warranty extends longer than I'm liable to keep the car. Who knows what great alternatives will be available then?

Reactions: SpareTire

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I agree with many of you that, in principle, extended warranties are a gamble that the house doesn't lose. I don't usually buy them, and these days original warranties last as long, or longer, than I keep a car.

But I've had one for my TBird since I bought it when it was five years old, seven years ago as a fun, extra & part-time show car. Considering their history, that's the age when sometimes things start to go south. Ford offered an Extended Service Plan that covers virtually any contingency, except hoses, tires, and such. It could be bought from any Ford dealer, and some offered very competitive prices. They're good at any Ford service department anywhere, no questions asked, with $50 or $100 deductibles. Timespan to purchase them was limited, and they were available only until last year for the final model year of TBirds. I bought my last one then, good for another five years, for $2155 total, with $50 deductible. One semi-major repair in those five years will make it worthwhile, and a 12 to 17 year-old car is quite likely to need it. A tranny or A/C unit would do it.

I've been buying the plan throughout the seven years I've had the car, and it has always paid for itself for minor repairs.

I probably wouldn't buy an aftermarket plan - couldn't be confident it would always be honored. Ford's own plan is a sure thing anywhere.

Finally, the plan is transferable. I figure I may sell the car when the plan still has a year to go. This should be a terrific incentive to a buyer is is uneasy about an "orphan" marque car with questionable availability of good service.

As for the F-Pace; nah. Its warranty extends longer than I'm liable to keep the car. Who knows what great alternatives will be available then?
Same here, I bought a Factory backed FCA warranty for my JGC and only for the duration that I was going to keep it (6/100 ). Shopped it thru dealers on the internet and paid HALF of what my dealer wanted for it. Good at any FCA dealership nationwide, includes towing and trip protection, ( we drive the JGC on all vacations...) 100.00 deductible. One blown injector, infotainment sys bricked, or Air suspension issue will pay for it 2-3 times over. Haven't needed it yet, but years 5&6 are usually when things show up... Small part of the total ownership price for peace of mind and coverage till its time for the next best thing out there. :laugh:

·
Registered
458 Posts
was your refund in first 30 days? My docs said within 30 days, yes refund.
It was not within first 30 days for sure. It was more like 3-4 month after the fact that we needed to fix one of the electronic components and that's when we found out that extended warranty would not cover repairs which contradicted what sales guy told us before selling us warranty. To be honest - technically we were screwed but I was not going to go away without a fight, especially after sales guy told us one thing but contract said another. And yes, I should have read it before signing it. I think they sensed that I will cause them more headache then the profit they were making and agreed to arrange for the refund.

Reactions: Cat Lady

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
May I please ask at what dealer you bought your warranty? Would save some major time.. Thank you very much.
This warranty referenced was for Jeep product. I have never found a JLR factory backed extended warranty, and if they offered one I'm sure the price would be crazy....

·
Registered
10 Posts
This warranty referenced was for Jeep product. I have never found a JLR factory backed extended warranty, and if they offered one I'm sure the price would be crazy....
They DO offer a JLR factory backed extended warranty - just confirmed today from my Jag dealer - you can buy anytime before a certain mileage & time during base 5/60 warranty.. Can get extended up to 84 months (total from in service) & 100k total miles.

Yes, expensive.. So might be out of warranty service.

PS: sorry was so dense about JGC & my other [stupid as it turns out] question.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm sure the $ on that warranty would scare me. Probably throwing good money after bad.. I'll do the 5/60 till it runs out, and then decide how much risk I can shoulder in keeping it further...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts