Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2018 F-Pace S. Glad to see it has a true dual exhaust! I've been in the "tuner" world for a long time (have a 400whp WRX I built with racing in mind), and also race motorcycles, so I have a need for performance and sound. I don't want to just replace the exhaust, but would like to get cutouts so I can amuse myself once in a while.

Has anyone done this, or seen it done? I've had no luck finding anything yet. I can't figure out where exactly I would place the cut outs; before or after the "merge collector" right in the middle.

On a somewhat related note: are there any good options for custom tuning? I'm not a fan of plug-and-play tunes, generally. I live in New England, if anyone knows a place in range.

Thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not sure about the cut outs. The only thing I've even heard is from a guy on here that said months ago he was 'working with a company to develop an exhaust'. Mind you, he has a tendency to ramble on about doing mods, but hasn't done a single 1.
Per performance stuff, a bunch of us have had a tune or used a chip. I have a tune and pulley on my 3.0L from Velocity AP. It really made a huge difference from 340hp and 330 ft lbs to 455hp 430ft lbs.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha. I’m definitely not that guy. I mod just about everything I touch. I can figure out how to do the exhaust, but I’m just not sure where in the system I would want an open dump. I don’t want it to be so obnoxious I never use it. If someone even ran straight pipes from a certain point, that would be a good indicator.

Wow you gained that much power from a generic tune? Are those numbers from a dyno, or estimated by Velocity? I’ve seen a few different plug and play options floating around, but haven’t got into reading the engine section of this forum yet. I’d love to get a custom tune locally,but probably not an option. And not sure what any potential cons to a pulley modification are.

I have the 380hp motor. I assume it’s just a slightly more aggressively tuned version of your 340hp motor, so I’d probably get about the same numbers?..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Haha. I’m definitely not that guy. I mod just about everything I touch. I can figure out how to do the exhaust, but I’m just not sure where in the system I would want an open dump. I don’t want it to be so obnoxious I never use it. If someone even ran straight pipes from a certain point, that would be a good indicator.

Wow you gained that much power from a generic tune? Are those numbers from a dyno, or estimated by Velocity? I’ve seen a few different plug and play options floating around, but haven’t got into reading the engine section of this forum yet. I’d love to get a custom tune locally,but probably not an option. And not sure what any potential cons to a pulley modification are.

I have the 380hp motor. I assume it’s just a slightly more aggressively tuned version of your 340hp motor, so I’d probably get about the same numbers?..
100% you'll get very similar numbers since the difference between the 380hp and 340hp is just a tune.

I have a '17 XF 340hp I did rear muffler deletes and it sounds really good not too loud. I ran straight pipes it was unbearable so look behind the center res and before the rear dual mufflers.

Also I just got a HP tuner to start tuning and this car pops like hell now with just 2 mins of pop tuning.

ONE THING I DID TODAY, that I highly recommend anyone to do, cone filters, the supercharger whine is godly now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up removing the rear mufflers to test the sound. It sounds great, and is about the level I'm looking for. I get little bits of pops, but it's seldom and not too noticeable. So now I'm wondering what it will sound like if I did a cutout before the mid-muffler/resonators. I would be content just replacing the rear mufflers with straight pipes, but then I wouldn't have the option to go back to stock sound level. Since I do a bit of towing, I don't want to be stuck with the droning on the highway.

For the HP tuner.. you put a generic tune on, correct? When you say you "started tuning," I don't know if you mean you are actually changing things yourself, or just using the plug-and-play options.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
For any of you who did go the Cone Filter route how did you convert the intake to take on a cone filter. I would like to hear the super charger more, and that is the only real benefit of a cone filter as CAIs don't really build more hp over the stock setup. If converting to cone filter would allow more Super charge whine to be heard it might be a worthy upgrade. Has anyone done this and if so, can you share how and what parts you used. There are no real CAI options out there for the F-Pace that I can see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ended up removing the rear mufflers to test the sound. It sounds great, and is about the level I'm looking for. I get little bits of pops, but it's seldom and not too noticeable. So now I'm wondering what it will sound like if I did a cutout before the mid-muffler/resonators. I would be content just replacing the rear mufflers with straight pipes, but then I wouldn't have the option to go back to stock sound level. Since I do a bit of towing, I don't want to be stuck with the droning on the highway.

For the HP tuner.. you put a generic tune on, correct? When you say you "started tuning," I don't know if you mean you are actually changing things yourself, or just using the plug-and-play options.
I did not go with a generic tune, my close friend over here has a tuning shop and is looking at the option of making some tunes available remotely.

He’s teaching me and we’re taking it step by step to increase power. To my knowledge HP does not offer a generic tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
For any of you who did go the Cone Filter route how did you convert the intake to take on a cone filter. I would like to hear the super charger more, and that is the only real benefit of a cone filter as CAIs don't really build more hp over the stock setup. If converting to cone filter would allow more Super charge whine to be heard it might be a worthy upgrade. Has anyone done this and if so, can you share how and what parts you used. There are no real CAI options out there for the F-Pace that I can see.
https://youtu.be/gvW8aRxT6gg
This is right after the cone install.

I went with the route of only filters and didn’t replace the piping as it only raised up my intake air temp. While this stabilized it. As @island boyeee ; mentioned that a tune is required, here’s the shock the ECU adjusted for it automatically and we didn’t have to tune with the stock maf sensor and stock piping. I’m getting better fuel economy and a bit of higher end torque so possibly a 10hp difference at most. I also aimed them downwards to have the stock air vent from the front push air to them,
IMG_4579.jpg

This is the part I removed (the right and left air box)
image-2020-04-27-19:53:18-653.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
@PA-FPace-F ; @island boyeee ;

Mina gallery offers the filter kit but it’s a bit overpriced. I do not recommend to switch to the aluminum piping.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,317 Posts
https://youtu.be/gvW8aRxT6gg
This is right after the cone install.

I went with the route of only filters and didn’t replace the piping as it only raised up my intake air temp. While this stabilized it. As @island boyeee ; mentioned that a tune is required, here’s the shock the ECU adjusted for it automatically and we didn’t have to tune with the stock maf sensor and stock piping. I’m getting better fuel economy and a bit of higher end torque so possibly a 10hp difference at most. I also aimed them downwards to have the stock air vent from the front push air to them, View attachment 72408

This is the part I removed (the right and left air box) View attachment 72409

What are you gonna do when the air filters suck in water and cause your engine to hydraulic?

DP

·
Registered
564 Posts

Yes, the 3.0L 340 and 380 is just a tune. The most I believe you can get to on just a tune is about 410hp and 380 ft lbs. When you add the crank pulley, for a 11.6% increase in size (as the supercharger pulley being so small already it's not a smart mod) over the original crank pulley, you can increase your torque immensely to 430ft lbs, which you feel more than the previous tune. It's an entirely different feeling vehicle. hence why I did it. I did a years worth of research before I pulled the trigger.
Velocity AP has their own Dyno numbers, as does numerous Ftype owners (same aj126 motro). Needless to say the dyno numbers are irrefutable, and well documented from numerous car enthusiasts.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have a custom air box being manufactured, for now it’s not an issue since the filters are very high up

There were a few guys on the other forumn that did, almost what you've done using cone filters, with new boxes to accommodate.
I remember 1 guy, as early as January, that claimed and posted an increase in supercharger whine but would never provide any real reliable info besides pics. Lots of people were interested in the extra supercharger whine, but it never seems to get any further then that.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting stuff Abdullah! I am not going to bother with a generic tune myself, but would love to find someone that could do a custom one. Haven't seen anyone doing it in the US yet. I talked to my import tuner, and he wasn't interested. Makes sense. I would love to get an update as you guys make progress. Not sure where the best place to keep in touch would be (I only use forums and facebook).

I agree that as long as you left the stock piping, just changing the filter shouldn't be an issue. Obviously nothing to be gained without tuning though. Many people don't realize that the only reason to change the stock intake, is if your motor cannot get all of the air it needs for the modifications/tune being added. And changes to piping will affect the reading the MAF gets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting stuff Abdullah! I am not going to bother with a generic tune myself, but would love to find someone that could do a custom one. Haven't seen anyone doing it in the US yet. I talked to my import tuner, and he wasn't interested. Makes sense. I would love to get an update as you guys make progress. Not sure where the best place to keep in touch would be (I only use forums and facebook).

I agree that as long as you left the stock piping, just changing the filter shouldn't be an issue. Obviously nothing to be gained without tuning though. Many people don't realize that the only reason to change the stock intake, is if your motor cannot get all of the air it needs for the modifications/tune being added. And changes to piping will affect the reading the MAF gets.
My Instagram is abdulla_rida or you can just send me a message over the forums I get emails.

I’ll update with dyno graphs once I’m done of before and after including and without intake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There were a few guys on the other forumn that did, almost what you've done using cone filters, with new boxes to accommodate.
I remember 1 guy, as early as January, that claimed and posted an increase in supercharger whine but would never provide any real reliable info besides pics. Lots of people were interested in the extra supercharger whine, but it never seems to get any further then that.
Something like that is what I’m doing!

I’ll do a dyno day soon with and without intake including the tune and without the tune and update you guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just picked up a 2018 F-Pace S. Glad to see it has a true dual exhaust! I've been in the "tuner" world for a long time (have a 400whp WRX I built with racing in mind), and also race motorcycles, so I have a need for performance and sound. I don't want to just replace the exhaust, but would like to get cutouts so I can amuse myself once in a while.

Has anyone done this, or seen it done? I've had no luck finding anything yet. I can't figure out where exactly I would place the cut outs; before or after the "merge collector" right in the middle.

On a somewhat related note: are there any good options for custom tuning? I'm not a fan of plug-and-play tunes, generally. I live in New England, if anyone knows a place in range.

Thanks!
If you want something in the middle sound wise have a look at quicksilver, I’ve heard great things!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have yet to create an instagram.. but if you remember to come back and post updates here, that would be great!

For the exhaust, I want a totally stock sound level, and then an obnoxious growl when I want to have fun. So I will keep the stock exhaust.. but somewhere I will install the electric cutouts, so I can open it up when I want.

I don't want to just change part of the exhaust, because then I will always be stuck with that level of sound.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have yet to create an instagram.. but if you remember to come back and post updates here, that would be great!

For the exhaust, I want a totally stock sound level, and then an obnoxious growl when I want to have fun. So I will keep the stock exhaust.. but somewhere I will install the electric cutouts, so I can open it up when I want.

I don't want to just change part of the exhaust, because then I will always be stuck with that level of sound.
100%, I'm looking at valves now since I want to go all out with this car with dual pulleys, porting, water-meth etc (I know upper pulley do not make even a small difference but we'll see)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts