Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How will it do in snow?

I am coming from a Subaru Forester so I am used to a pretty strong performing AWD.

I know the car is very new so there isnt a real track record of winter performance, but does anyone have insight into the AWD system (has it been used in other Jag models?) and any thoughts on what kind of poor weather and winter performance we should expect?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reportedly similar to the F-Type which might be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask. Some people wanted something pulled from an LR, others wanted the sportiness of the F-Type. Although its RWD biased, apparently it takes some effort to throw the rear end around, so no need to worry about that part.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So just to get the obvious key element out of the way....... I don't think you can get winter tyres for the 22" wheels nor chains. So, since it's the rubber boots that make the most difference in the snow, either specify 20" maximum rims or ensure you secure a set of winter rims in addition to your 22" car.

As for the AWD system, I am convinced it will be fine. It's very sophisticated, has the ADSR function for low speed grip in adverse conditions and plenty of ground clearance to prevent the snow plough effect in deep snow.

I just love it when the deep snow arrives, the car is wearing new winter tyres (they lose their magic at 4mm depth) and with AWD it's almost invincible. That's when everyone drools over your AWD SUV and the stampede begins to buy 4x4 and winter tyres. If you could time a private sale in such circumstances then your residuals would go through the roof!

Arianne

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's what I'm getting. Pure winter tires are an overreaction for the lower 48.
Does "lower 48" mean south of Canadian border or below certain elevation :) ? And then there is HI.
I am not sure what difference there is between Alaska and many other places in US which receive tons of snow in the winter.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
That's what I'm getting. Pure winter tires are an overreaction for the lower 48.
I know plenty of states where it should be illegal to run anything BUT true winter tires in the winter. All seasons compromise on both fronts. If you like compromising on the only 4x4 inch squares keeping your car on the road, by all means, carry on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How will it perform in the snow? Like this?? :D

Looks like serious fun.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I know plenty of states where it should be illegal to run anything BUT true winter tires in the winter. All seasons compromise on both fronts. If you like compromising on the only 4x4 inch squares keeping your car on the road, by all means, carry on.
15 years in Minnesota with all-seasons on every vehicle in my garage, and a sloped driveway, too. Never a problem. I'm just sayin.' Now in PA, NJ, NY area. A piece of cake compared to Minny. Heck, I could drive safely with summers on my F-Pace in these states. Been here 11 years now. All seasons on every one of my cars. Never a problem and I'm always in the fast lane. But I'll (reluctantly) dig deep for the dollars to put all-seasons on my F-Pace because my wife prefers them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
6 mile road from I-90 to my house just south of Seattle has a number of 13% sections. All-Seasons in RRS - considerable if not serious difficulties navigating between vehicles left alone along the road on snowy days. Winter tires in RRS - I feel very confident driving thought this labyrinth of cars.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
6 mile road from I-90 to my house just south of Seattle has a number of 13% sections. All-Seasons in RRS - considerable if not serious difficulties navigating between vehicles left alone along the road on snowy days. Winter tires in RRS - I feel very confident driving thought this labyrinth of cars.
I think it totally depends on the brand of tire when comparing All Seasons vs a pure snow tire, like a blizzak. I had Blizzaks on my Infiniti M45 Sport which was only rear wheel drive and that car could handle the snow in the winter perfectly fine, incline, decline, ice, it was not an issue. The only problem I had with that car in the snow was if the snow was deep since the car was lowered and only had 3" of ground clearance. I never had an issue on most roads in the snow. I had all seasons on my Accord which obviously front wheel drive and it was fine in the snow as well. With a AWD vehicle I think you would fine in most snows on most terrain with all seasons, but having snows would definitely be an advantage in situations like MartinPL mentioned. Incline with an obstacle course, they will certainly work better in low speed climbing due to the excessive siping (cuts in the tire tread) and rubber compound over all seasons. However, in most situations on flat roads and some snow cover, both will work in the snow pretty well with an AWD vehicle, as long as you pick a well rated tire.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had our first west coast snowfall this morning. About 2" of snow, but the roads were wet from what started as rain and so froze when the temp dropped and the snow started. Took my daughter to work as she has only driven twice in the snow and does not have winter tires. Lots of hills in our areas. Just over 700 miles on the Jag so didn't really want to get it coated in salt and snow, but she had to get to work and the buses were all getting stuck.

Put the cat into Adsr mode and let it do it's thing. My observations and thoughts:

1. Stopping on ice was about the same as previous AWD crossovers that I have had. Anti-lock braking kicks in and there was a bit of sliding. I can't say that it did better or worse than other vehicles in this situation. As well, turning into my street I had the brakes on and it definitely slid a bit as I was turning, but as soon as I took my foot of the brake it recovered nicely.

2. It really shone on the very slippery hills. I had the ASI suite display screen on to monitor power distribution between rear wheels and front wheels. When going up hills it definitely showed power going to the front wheels. I never once felt any slippage of the wheels and actually gave it a bit more gas as I got comfortable with the handling. It handled every hill with absolute ease. Passed a couple of BMW X5s and a couple of Audi Q5s that were just spinning their wheels and not going anywhere. I will be snobbish here and say that definitely felt good to drive right by with ease.
3. I did not enable low friction launch as I didn't really feel the need. There was no spinning as I pulled away from lights or stop signs. I might try it later on today. (This was on compact snow and ice as they don't use sand or gravel here - just salt. And they had not salted many of the roads).

Overall, I was more nervous that someone might hit me, but I felt that the F-Pace handled the snow and ice better than my last 3 AWD crossovers and better than any SUV that I rented. (Only exception maybe the Hummer that I drove up north).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had our first west coast snowfall this morning. About 2" of snow, but the roads were wet from what started as rain and so froze when the temp dropped and the snow started. Took my daughter to work as she has only driven twice in the snow and does not have winter tires. Lots of hills in our areas. Just over 700 miles on the Jag so didn't really want to get it coated in salt and snow, but she had to get to work and the buses were all getting stuck.

Put the cat into Adsr mode and let it do it's thing. My observations and thoughts:

1. Stopping on ice was about the same as previous AWD crossovers that I have had. Anti-lock braking kicks in and there was a bit of sliding. I can't say that it did better or worse than other vehicles in this situation. As well, turning into my street I had the brakes on and it definitely slid a bit as I was turning, but as soon as I took my foot of the brake it recovered nicely.

2. It really shone on the very slippery hills. I had the ASI suite display screen on to monitor power distribution between rear wheels and front wheels. When going up hills it definitely showed power going to the front wheels. I never once felt any slippage of the wheels and actually gave it a bit more gas as I got comfortable with the handling. It handled every hill with absolute ease. Passed a couple of BMW X5s and a couple of Audi Q5s that were just spinning their wheels and not going anywhere. I will be snobbish here and say that definitely felt good to drive right by with ease.
3. I did not enable low friction launch as I didn't really feel the need. There was no spinning as I pulled away from lights or stop signs. I might try it later on today. (This was on compact snow and ice as they don't use sand or gravel here - just salt. And they had not salted many of the roads).

Overall, I was more nervous that someone might hit me, but I felt that the F-Pace handled the snow and ice better than my last 3 AWD crossovers and better than any SUV that I rented. (Only exception maybe the Hummer that I drove up north).
Great to hear! We are expecting some snow for tomorrow but not sure if it will amount to much. Are you driving the stock 20" Goodyear Eagle tires?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good to know if I ever travel into snowy areas!

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
A few days ago I crossed over Lizard Head Pass, about 10,222 ft., south of Telluride at night a day after decent storm. Snow packed and icy, temp 1 degree. Also used slippery driving mode. Performed well. Totally toasty in cabin. Traction seemed great. Comfortable enough to go about speed limit except in dangerous spots where I dropped to 10 mph below to avoid any chance of sliding over 500-1000 ft sheer drop embankments.

I tried some braking too in Telluride in icy, safe spot. I'd concur on about normal stopping distance for ABS with winter tires if not a bit better. Had occasion to pull off into a spot with about 6" of fresh snow and it handled it no problem.

Good idea on having that screen up. Going to have to try that.

Reactions: PemM34%2

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
daninvan, great information, thanks for sharing. Can I ask what tires you have on your F-pace now? Did you go with snows or do you have All Seasons?

·
Registered
258 Posts
We got about 6" of snow here yesterday. I was very happy with how the F-Pace handled in the snow with the all season tires.

Reactions: ndabunka

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
Just drove through heavy snowstorm across Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel. White knuckle driving, trucks everywhere putting on chains. Speeds were 40 in 65 zones. Vehicle performed well, was able to get well ahead of traffic with no slipping.

IMPORTANT TIP for those with drivers assistance package; I had to shut off lane keep assist on snowpacked road. It got very confused and was fighting me.

Complaint: wipers do not clean entire windshield. Leave a strip right in my line of sight. Also have to get spray pattern tweaked on window fluid nozzles. Too low. Finally it took a whole gallon of wiper fluid and wasn't full.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Only 2" of snow here in MA but she handled beautifully!! Great stopping and no issues cornering. I could feel the stability control kicking in a few times but could not get the abs to activate. Blizzak snow tires-awesome grip!!! Lots of morons on the roads with quite a few off the road...

1 - 20 of 97 Posts