Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the mornings when I start up the car, I hear a ticking sound coming from underneath the the car (I assume it's somewhere in the engine, but for some reason I haven't opened up the hood when this happens...). After driving it into work (about 10m) the sound is gone.

I don't recall hearing this on any other car i've owned so is this something I should take in to have looked at? I wouldn't say the noise is loud; but it is noticeable. I just don't know if it's "noticeable because i am paying attention to every little thing" or noticeable because it's truly something to be looked at.

It's an S model/engine. Nothing upgraded beyond that.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,419 Posts
In the mornings when I start up the car, I hear a ticking sound coming from underneath the the car (I assume it's somewhere in the engine, but for some reason I haven't opened up the hood when this happens...). After driving it into work (about 10m) the sound is gone.

I don't recall hearing this on any other car i've owned so is this something I should take in to have looked at? I wouldn't say the noise is loud; but it is noticeable. I just don't know if it's "noticeable because i am paying attention to every little thing" or noticeable because it's truly something to be looked at.

You might have a clogged Liffer. Since it goes away once the car is warm. Take it to the dealer and let them know it happens on a COLD start. They will probably keep the car over night so they can start it cold. Good luck keep us posted.

DP

·
Registered
455 Posts
Every time I've ever heard lifter noise (that is - ticking), the engine (any engine) has been low on oil. If your oil is at a normal level, there's something wrong - have it checked immediately. I've never heard that sound on the coldest of mornings in our FPace. :nerd:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same sound - by the time I got around to going to the dealership, it was March and not cold enough anymore. I'll do it in January and take it in.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I, too, have an S and last year I also noticed this 'ticking' sound on first start up in the a.m. and then settling out after a few minutes of engine run. I did some checking around and was told basically the same thing from my dealer's service dept. and from a trusted, third party private garage that does work on Jags' and RRs'. Both independent mechanics indicated that this is a normal occurrence with the S's high-torque, 380 HP 3.0-litre supercharged V6 engine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a Velar loaner with the S engine in it a couple weeks back, and noticed this ticking. My 30T never does it. I mentioned it to the service advisor when I returned the loaner, and was basically told that yeah, it happens with that engine.

Reactions: burke1510

·
Registered
534 Posts
I, too, have an S and last year I also noticed this 'ticking' sound on first start up in the a.m. and then settling out after a few minutes of engine run. I did some checking around and was told basically the same thing from my dealer's service dept. and from a trusted, third party private garage that does work on Jags' and RRs'. Both independent mechanics indicated that this is a normal occurrence with the S's high-torque, 380 HP 3.0-litre supercharged V6 engine.
My 35t does not do this.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It seems that as with many other auditory issues, the JLR 3.0L "engine tick" is subjective, but IMO this motor def does this, irrespective of tuning variant.
In a Range Rover with different deadening parts, layout etc. I'm sure it does sound quite different but the techs all say the same, it's a normal sound for this motor, some may notice and others may not.

My 35t does not do this.

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F Pace 35t R Sport
492 Posts
Engine doesn't tick, but last week I got hearing aids, and my turn signal started ticking when activated...

Reactions: deafsoundguy

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Engine doesn't tick, but last week I got hearing aids, and my turn signal started ticking when activated...
The Turn-Signal has always ticked . . . . . . . you've just started hearing it !!!;)

·
Registered
455 Posts

That is so funny... oh if you only knew... and funny thing is that Jag turn signals have to be the loudest out there. Man, on our 2000 VDP they were so loud that if you were on the phone people would go "what the heck is that sound? Is that your turn signals? Wow!" Like they knew the car would be bought by older, less hearing people.... so let's crank those babies up! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it can't hurt to bring up the noise when we take it in. If they say "nah, that's normal" than OK. So be it. It's on record that I reported it and if my engine blows up down the road...

·
Registered
6 Posts

Same for me on my 35i : they told me nothing to worry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told the noise was normal. The service center suggested it was the oil pump.

·
Registered
33 Posts
SBethea - - -

That is correct, it is normal - but it's not from the fuel pump. Like I said in my post, its the S's high-torque, 380 HP, 3.0-litre supercharged engine doing that on a cold, first start-up.......if that's the engine you have I've had my 'S' now going on 5 years with not one lick of trouble. Love the engine, especially when the supercharger kicks in and I'm gone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts