Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TSB for belt tensioner ticking noise issues?

I've read the older 2018 threads for this issue. I have a 2017 35T with 36k miles and a ticking noise at cold start (at freezing and below). 1.5 months left on warranty. Having checked using an automotive stethoscope for the source of the noise it strangely appears to be coming from the belt tensioner pulley area. When I listen to valve lifters, cylinder heads, injectors, I don't hear anything unusual. I also saw that the tensioner pulley was bouncing about very slightly.

In Jan 2019 Dakar09's response to similar noise thread said the noise was most likely belt tensioners and had those replaced. He/she said he also believed there was a TSB issued.

Can anyone help provide the relevant TSB ?
( vehicle photo only for interest/attention)
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
589 Posts
We can hear a video clip to confirm, but it's likely just the sound of the aj126. It sounds like lifters, but it's quite normal.
Having said that, I see that you have the same motor in the Ftype, so I assume you've already compared to that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We can hear a video clip to confirm, but it's likely just the sound of the aj126. It sounds like lifters, but it's quite normal.
Having said that, I see that you have the same motor in the Ftype, so I assume you've already compared to that?
Red_rooster thanks for the feedback I do appreciate it. With respect I don't agree that it's normal with the benefit of 38 years in the auto industry working for and with Vehicle manufacturers half of my career in powertrain. It's even louder than that when fully cold as I mentioned in the video.

'Normal' would be the even pattern sound of the lifters and injectors but over the top of their noise is another less frequent pattern that's coming from a different location. My F-Pace didn't used to make this sound when I first got it and you are correct I have basically the same V6 in my F-Type and it doesn't exhibit the same sound.

I'm just looking to see if there really is a TSB out there, as has been eluded to in a prior thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
TSB for belt tensioner ticking noise issues?

I've read the older 2018 threads for this issue. I have a 2017 35T with 36k miles and a ticking noise at cold start (at freezing and below). 1.5 months left on warranty. Having checked using an automotive stethoscope for the source of the noise it strangely appears to be coming from the belt tensioner pulley area. When I listen to valve lifters, cylinder heads, injectors, I don't hear anything unusual. I also saw that the tensioner pulley was bouncing about very slightly.

In Jan 2019 Dakar09's response to similar noise thread said the noise was most likely belt tensioners and had those replaced. He/she said he also believed there was a TSB issued.

Can anyone help provide the relevant TSB ?
( vehicle photo only for interest/attention)
View attachment 74250

View attachment 74249

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2017 35T with 60000 miles just passed. I opened the hood this morning (cold morning in VT) and noticed the same noise you described. I also was drawn by sound to the belt tensioner which exhibited the same small movements you described. It seems we are are experiencing the same situation. I look forward to reading the TSB to discover how significant the noise is.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
2018 F-PACE S hearing same sound added it to list for next service visit. Interesting in following this to see what we learn

Reactions: FUNJagforme

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All,
I am now fairly confident the source of the problem is timing chain/tensioner issues. I created an updated 1 minute compilation video and it gets really interesting at the 33 second mark when the cold start idle comes down.

I hope the ticking noise heard under the car through the exhaust is referred noise and related to the noises under the hood and not an unrelated valve issue.

One of the two chain tensioners within the front cover is not far away from the pivot bolt on the accessory drive belt tensioner and that probably explains why I hear more with the stethoscope when touching that bolt. Early in the video there is a also very short timing chain rattle on the left bank (as viewed from front of engine)

Next week I have arranged to leave the car overnight at the dealership then demonstrate to them with a cold start.

For those of you with similar noises I hope this helps. I'll keep you updated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts