Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be just me unaware that it should sound this way but I've noticed a clatter coming from the engine. It appears to be coming from the supercharger area but can't tell for sure. Everything is so packed in. It doesn't sound exactly like timing chain slap like you would get with a bad tensioner. I tried to record it but it's either me or the phone that's not bright enough to capture the sound (most likely me). Car is a 2020 SVR with 10K miles. You can't hear it inside the car and it does vary with RPM but gets much quieter as the RPMs go up. I recently returned from a 1K mile road trip with no issues and plan on taking another road trip this weekend. Unfortunately my closest dealer is 2.5 hours away so I can't just whip in and let them listen. Just wondering if it's normal noise or something to be concerned about. Any inputs greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is this a new sound that appeared recently (and wasn't there before or when new)? If not new, could just be the injectors?

·
Registered
2017 F-Pace S
37 Posts
I have a 17 S (SC V6) so while not precisely the same, I can say that my engine at idle sounds pretty "chattery". I always thought it was "valvey" coming from the top end, but after asking the dealer I've learned it's the direct injectors being noisy that is a common thing. It's my guess they use the same injectors on other engines too. Not hearing your sound, I can only speculate but that may be it

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine has been making a noise lately too. I dont really think there is anything wrong with it. I have not been driving much and it seems to only do it after it has been parked for a week and stops after the engine revs up the first time. I am going way out on a limb and thinking mine is a lifter that has gone flat, but after the oil pressure goes up the lifter goes back where it should be. But since you brought it up... I drove my car yesterday so I cant make my noise but I thought I would have a look. My car is also a 2020 SVR. The video with the roll of duct tape siting on the supercharger is a after the car is warmed up at idle (map update). The other video is the car cold (70F). Let me know if mine sounds like yours. I cant post the video.... file type not allowed. So here is a link. I think you can see them both. If not PM me with your email and I will send them to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 17 S (SC V6) so while not precisely the same, I can say that my engine at idle sounds pretty "chattery". I always thought it was "valvey" coming from the top end, but after asking the dealer I've learned it's the direct injectors being noisy that is a common thing. It's my guess they use the same injectors on other engines too. Not hearing your sound, I can only speculate but that may be it
I'm with Drewsy208 on this one... I have 2 of the V6 versions and they are both a bit chattery at idle; hot or cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. Since the sound seems to come from both sides I concur it's most likely the injectors. To be honest this was only the second time I've been under the bonnet with the engine running. All the other times it was while the car was not running. I couldn't remember if my F Type R made the same noise.

·
Registered
2017 F-Pace S
37 Posts
I took my car into service recently for the same complaint. I’ve heard the clatter before, but recently it seemed to be louder. View attachment 74245
Sorry about the thread jack, but it's funny, during the summer months with AC on and and all that, I pull into the garage and I'd have a coolant smell too. I attributed it to a little bit of overpressure venting as the system pressure tested good for me too. The level never really dropped to speak of either. Ok, back to original topic. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
This could be just me unaware that it should sound this way but I've noticed a clatter coming from the engine. It appears to be coming from the supercharger area but can't tell for sure. Everything is so packed in. It doesn't sound exactly like timing chain slap like you would get with a bad tensioner. I tried to record it but it's either me or the phone that's not bright enough to capture the sound (most likely me). Car is a 2020 SVR with 10K miles. You can't hear it inside the car and it does vary with RPM but gets much quieter as the RPMs go up. I recently returned from a 1K mile road trip with no issues and plan on taking another road trip this weekend. Unfortunately my closest dealer is 2.5 hours away so I can't just whip in and let them listen. Just wondering if it's normal noise or something to be concerned about. Any inputs greatly appreciated.
What is the oil level on your display?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine has been making a noise lately too. I dont really think there is anything wrong with it. I have not been driving much and it seems to only do it after it has been parked for a week and stops after the engine revs up the first time. I am going way out on a limb and thinking mine is a lifter that has gone flat, but after the oil pressure goes up the lifter goes back where it should be. But since you brought it up... I drove my car yesterday so I cant make my noise but I thought I would have a look. My car is also a 2020 SVR. The video with the roll of duct tape siting on the supercharger is a after the car is warmed up at idle (map update). The other video is the car cold (70F). Let me know if mine sounds like yours. I cant post the video.... file type not allowed. So here is a link. I think you can see them both. If not PM me with your email and I will send them to you.

The recordings are definitely injector noise. The SVR is louder because it has 8 injectors and no sound damping cover. Normal operation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts