Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I shifting from park to drive the EPB does NOT automatically release. The PARK indicator stays lit and the car will not move when I take my foot off the brake pedal.

It requires that I depress the gas pedal for it to finally release.

I've RTFM and it says "When shifting from P with the EPB applied, the EPB automatically releases to allow a smooth drive away".

I have NOT overridden the EPB automatic release at any time since I've owned it. I've actually never touched the parking brake switch.

Anybody experience something similar?

Kerry

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Yes, seems to stay on first start of the day until I depress the gas pedal. I actually thought that was normal operation.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Sometimes when I shifting from park to drive the EPB does NOT automatically release. The PARK indicator stays lit and the car will not move when I take my foot off the brake pedal.

It requires that I depress the gas pedal for it to finally release.

I've RTFM and it says "When shifting from P with the EPB applied, the EPB automatically releases to allow a smooth drive away".

I have NOT overridden the EPB automatic release at any time since I've owned it. I've actually never touched the parking brake switch.

Anybody experience something similar?

Kerry
I tried depressing the gas pedal to get the parking brake off once and the car went haywire, told me "parking brake needs to be calibrated" after 10 minutes of trying to figure it out I had to restart the car. I now just push the Parking brake switch down to turn it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've experienced this also, quite often actually. I assumed it was brake pad or caliper stiction, but this was before I even knew the car had a EPB. It's somewhat frustrating. I get on the gas a little and the car jumps to break free. I've not had the experience with the brake light staying on, (but maybe I'm not paying close enough attention), or having to restart the car.

Is this something that could be disabled? Like disabling the auto start/stop by disconnecting a plug.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I've noticed this as well, happened tonight as a matter of fact. I think the last time I manually turned off the EPB when I put it in drive and it started working normally for a period of time. I'm adding it to my list of things for the dealer to check when the vehicle is next in for service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe that the EPB is linked to your seat belt. If your seat belt is buckled, then the EPB will automatically release, otherwise you need to depress the gas pedal. I have also found that the EPB will automatically release in reverse regardless of the seat belt.

A lot depends on how fast you rotate the shift knob. If you turn it slowly, then reverse will cause the EPB to release. Turn it quickly, and it depends on your seat belt.

I had a software update a few months ago which seemed to make things work better, but I still have moments where it doesn't release when expected.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I've noticed is that it has to do with the speed with which you turn the selector knob. If I turn it too fast, the brake will stay on. Go slow, and the brake releases.

This only occurs when shifting from Park to Drive.

Kerry

·
Registered
3 Posts
When it says calibrate parking brake it wants you to push the brake down and then set the parking brake so it can learn it's position. You'll feel it in the brake pedal

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
No problems here..

EPB releases as soon as I shift out of Park to Drive...All the While I keep my foot on the brake during this transition...Don't get in a hurry when you do this and everything should operate smoothly.

Reactions: GRVR and MTHM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Epb

on my 2017 F Pace some times I put the engine in park, leave running exit auto to open garage door and upon reentry when I put into drive the red park light is on which means the parking brake is engaged, I depress the epb button and all is fine. Seems strange this is happening also when I park it in the garage sometimes the same thing happens that epb is engaged without setting. Sometimes when I put it in park and take off the seat belt to exit the auto to open the garage door the engine shuts down and sometimes it does not / strange any one else experience this or know its causes?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I manually release my parking brake probably 95%of the time, otherwise, it releases when I hit the gas which is how I understand it’s supposed to operate.

Do you park on an incline? There is also a hill holder feature which may interfere with the parking brake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts