Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a road trip yesterday in the dynamic driving mode and was wondering if this mode effects gas milage vs the standard mode?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Took a road trip yesterday in the dynamic driving mode and was wondering if this mode effects gas milage vs the standard mode?
Not sure if this has been tested but if I had to guess I would say yes. Dynamic keeps the engine in its sweet spot; so that means it holds gears longer, is quicker to downshift etc. etc. Im not sure there would be a difference if you were cruising at 60/70 mph but if you were hitting stop lights, sitting in traffic etc. I think the best mode to be in would be eco (really tones down acceleration and increases the amount of throttle input needed to go above 3000 rpm).

Little side-note, I've been driving in ECO mode for the last couple days and I actually do like it when a conversation is being held or something similar. Really tones down exhaust and engine noise resulting in a much quieter cabin.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Agree with Jman - answer is more than likely a resounding yes. I don't keep it in dynamic for long, but the performance difference is noticeable and as such I would expect the fuel mileage to also be as noticeable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here's my problem with ECO mode, it's not just about changing the engine dynamics. It starts changing things in the cabin!

The possible automatic changes are as follows:

The heated seats are switched off.

The climate seats are switched off.

The heated steering wheel is switched off.

The heated windshield does not automatically switch on when the engine is started, if configured to switch on via the CLIMATE SETTINGS. See FRONT CLIMATE CONTROL.

The auto blower speed is set to low, if currently set to a high speed.

The audio volume may also be adjusted if it is currently set to a high volume.
I ran ECO mode once and noticed the cabin was getting stuffy - didn't realize at the time that the blower fan speed is affected. I'll stick to dynamic mode!

The ECO driving mode may also make subtle changes to the level of the cabin's air recirculation and to the level of heating or cooling.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe Jag should come up with an Eco mode 1&2. I thought that Eco mode would only affect the transmission shifts. So Eco mode would make it useless in a northern climate and hot southern climate if you enjoy and having paid for a/c seats.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I believe you can override the "eco" settings. But I guess someone would need to test that out . Turn on ECO mode, it turns the seats off, then just go in and turn them back on. But it does sound like it makes some other "subtle" changes that you can't change.

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Eco mode does what post # 8 covers. Each of these features that are turned off is all in preservation of or draw on the electrical system which draws off the engine with has subtle changes to the fuel economy.

Driving in normal mode would be recommended unless savings the few extra pennies on gas is necessary. The second issue for fuel economy is stop/start which can be permanently disabled if you want. If you don't want to use Eco just push the button on the console so it is in normal and it will never go into eco, It does not have to be disabled other that the one time push of a button.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You purchase a luxury and high performance vehicle and then worry about saving a few cents off gas mileage??

I am missing the logic here!!!

If that is a concern, you definitely purchased the wrong vehicle.

Maybe a Lexus RX Hybrid or a Porche Macan 4 cylinder if electric is not practical would have been better choices for you.

Comparing my F Pace S to my previous BMW X3 2011 2.81 with the in line six, I actually find the gas mileage better notwithstanding the vehicle is larger and the performance at all speeds is much quicker.

Never mind Ecco Mode or Performance Mode, I would be afraid to push the accelerator to the floor unless I was on a runway in TAKE OFF MODE.

I have tried both Ecco Mode and Performance Mode briefly but 99% of the time Normal Mode is for me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use Eco Mode when in heavy traffic and the outside ambient temperature is good enough to roll down the windows, which is fairly often here in FL. It is very noticeable how it affects throttle response and performance and saw quite a few MPG uptick when using it.

Most of the time I am in Normal Mode unless I have the opportunity to get on the interstate and throw her in Sport Gear/Transmission and Dynamic Mode.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I mostly use Dynamic mode and have not seen a serious drop in MPG. On a long road trip, mostly freeway, I kept it in Dynamic the whole six hours and averaged 27 mpg at an average speed of 72 mph. My normal daily commute is only 8 miles each way, so I average about 19-21 mpg for that. My wife likes keeping it in Standard mode when she drives it; however, that's mainly because she doesn't care for the touchy throttle in Dynamic mode.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I drive my S in Dynamic mode almost constantly, because I prefer the way the dampers react, the better throttle response and better gear shift response, but I turn the engine back to normal, so that it doesn't get tiresome. I am not sure I notice any MPG difference between the various modes - I think driving environment and style will have a lot more impact on MPG. I am not even sure I know exactly what each variable is really doing either - trial and error has found the settings I like.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll admit... it's Dynamic mode in S for me most of the time. It's just more fun, from jumping off the line at a redlight, to passing some lost tourist in a rental car lost on the streets of boston.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someone mentioned the ability to permanently disable the on/off "fuel saving" switch. How is this done? Can't wait to kill that nuisance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just search the forum. It's a hardware hack where you go in back and unplug something from the battery.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Reading all the comments regarding Eco mode, Normal and Dynamic modes it confirms that you have multiple choices for multiple situations. What more can one ask for? One more reason to enjoy the F-Pace.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Someone mentioned the ability to permanently disable the on/off "fuel saving" switch. How is this done? Can't wait to kill that nuisance.
Just search the forum. It's a hardware hack where you go in back and unplug something from the battery.
Call it what you want. It simply involves disconnecting (unplugging) a single wire behind a panel in the cargo compartment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts